Ns2 crash ? --> format c: !

AscheAsche Join Date: 2013-03-19 Member: 184077Members
Just if some players are pissed off ns2 B255 crash for no reason and prevent you to play a game normally, just format your pc and reinstall windows. It work amazingly well for me. Before that ns2, was crashing so many time... I was not able to play more than 2 minutes. And now it's just perfect !

Ofc I have try all the fix possible, reinstall the game totally (app data, etc) disable the mods, etc...

So, format your pc is a way to fixe the crashes.

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    uh I don't think a re-format is the best bet

You should have disabled all mods from your mod menu, then verified the integrity of the files via steam to see if any files were missing, if that still failed then delete your mods from your appdata folder and try again

Then if it still crashes I'd contact the tech forum with your crashlogs and dxdiag and they could probably help you out.. but wiping your entire pc and settings.. not the best bet in my book
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The cause could also be, that you installed other graphic drivers after the re-installation of windows.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    in the order of things to troubleshoot for crashes.... this suggestion needs to be number 100 with the caveat of "if all else fails"
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    It's quite a heavy-handed approach to the problem that is in fact a poorly administered computer. It's similar to saying: "Your faucet in the bathroom is dripping? Here is the solution - bulldoze the building down and build a shiny new house!". Of course, your faucet won't be dripping anymore, but the cost of such a "repair" is out of proportion.

The number one thing you should do (and most people don't) - Check your Windows Logs!!!

It's under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Logs

The most important category is System Logs. Most of the time, you will find your machine logs problems for months you are not even aware off. If you haven't already, go there and check it right now! If you see an error message you don't fully understand, google it up! After some time, you will understand whole lot more about what's going on with your computer.

The other thing anybody can do is to install Wireshark and see out of curiosity where your computer tries to connect to. You would be amazed! Sometimes, you will gape in awe as wireshark shows you spam flood quietly flowing through your connection while you wondered while your game stutters so much.

Another tip - open windows console and type "netstat -an", and see what process is listening on what port. Google the process names, you may find out you run quite undesirable malware on your box. Of course, rootkits and such are immune to such simple methods since their incercept system calls and mask themselves.
  • AscheAsche Join Date: 2013-03-19 Member: 184077Members
    Thx for the tips ! I note that, I will check. Anyway, I've do everything about mods, steam check, and all tips presents here. I have not posted a log of my computer, this is my only mistake.

Otherwise, I was in 32 bits systems, I have profited of the reinstall to put the 64 bits version.

Ps : same graphical driver before and after.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The change from 32bit to 64bit could also be a possible fix. Especially if there are memory leaks. It also isn't the first time that NS2 does some crazy stuff with the memory. On 32bit systems that has led to crashes in previous builds.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, my 32-bit version of Windows has the crashing problem too. When I went 64-bit, the problem was resolved.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Thing is that unlike all your suggested solutions which require an understanding of computer software this requires none. Almost everybody knows how to reinstall the OS and format the HD, and frankly it takes like 2 hours tops. You will probably spend much more than that trying to diagnose and fix the issue by hand. But the latter does have a much more certain chance of working.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Thing is that unlike all your suggested solutions which require an understanding of computer software this requires none. Almost everybody knows how to reinstall the OS and format the HD, and frankly it takes like 2 hours tops. You will probably spend much more than that trying to diagnose and fix the issue by hand. But the latter does have a much more certain chance of working.

Reinstalling OS at a slight problem is highly impractical, expecially for us running dual boot machines (and Windows 7 + UEFI has particularly nasty surprise waiting for the unwary). To reinstall all the drivers, utilities, games, restore save games, app configurations, etc. For me, it usually takes a whole day.

There is another great advantage of trying to diagnose problems - you will learn a whole lot about your computer.

• DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have a problem? Format PC! The one true HP way!