ns2_nsl_biodome

ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
There is a test version of ns2_nsl_biodome up on the workshop. Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176948455&searchtext=

Any issues, feedback etc. please post below.

(p.s. sorry for taking a wrecking ball to your baby UWE designers :D)

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    This build actually lead to first game on biodome. Was fun so thank you oblivious!
    Maybe UWE should set some standardized rules for light counts?! Biodome might be a master class in making pretty lighting, its almost a lesson in how not to optimize a map.
    Biodome has 2540 lights, compared to Summits 1543!
    NpqO4xr.jpg
    How many does the NSL version have?
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excluding the ready room, which I haven't touched as of yet, there are now 354 lights, all of which are point lights. Interestingly, in the level there are only 2117(only...) lights, which means there are 433 in the ready room alone.

Got to admit I did learn alot from examining the lighting as I went along though, both in terms of aesthetics and performance.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    Interestingly, in the level there are only 2117(only...) lights, which means there are 433 in the ready room alone.

making sure your fps experience stays on the same level :<
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Howser wrote: »
    This build actually lead to first game on biodome. Was fun so thank you oblivious!
    Maybe UWE should set some standardized rules for light counts?! Biodome might be a master class in making pretty lighting, its almost a lesson in how not to optimize a map.
    Biodome has 2540 lights, compared to Summits 1543!
    How many does the NSL version have?

Yes we don't know how to map, we admit it. Biodome and summit are such similar maps in size, theme and quality as well. We had 3 months to make biodome whilst summit has been around forever and has had a huge load of optimizations done to it, a very fair comparison.

And selecting all the lights and zooming out like that, of course it will look incredibly busy.

• OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited September 2013
    :D

Biodome is continuing to receive lighting optimisations, but it's not as easy to do so while maintaining the visual quality, so we need to be more careful (compare that to replacing everything with 300 point lights). As a reference, Biodome light count has already been reduced by about 200 since initial release, and there will be more reductions to come.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Don't my take post as flaming your abilities to optimize or light a map. I have nothing but praise for the work that's gone into the map and fully understand the pressures from limited time and budget you guys work under.
    That said I think its a fair comment to say that the lighting Counts are just too high; To the point where it seems to be unplayable for the vast majority of people. As with all Things UWE, I have no doubt it'll be sorted out in good time.
    Did later engine developments affect the performance? and is there any rules and targets with regards to draw calls and light counts that you guys have to work to?
    I look forward to seeing an officially optimized build. But for now I can only play it on the nsl version.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A new updated version of the map has just gone live on the workshop. Nothing major has changed, I just found a couple of ambients and cinematics thanks to cognito over on the ensl forums and finally found that pesky sound entity in Atmos.
    Another update up on the workshop. Should have fixed the missing props and consistancy errors, as well as removed a couple more lights and made the agri lab vent comm-invis. Sorry for being a bit tardy about updating. Any other issues with the map, please let me know.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    There is a problem with Platform hive. Drifters have a problem interacting with the tech point. They can't build hives or pop blue prints. Not sure if its there on the non-nsl version but its there on the nsl one.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I had a quick look at the .level and it appears there's a gap between the tech point and the pathing:

Yk1PeuC.jpg
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for that guys. Just looked at the original ns2_biodome and it appears to have the same issue. I have little experience with doing pathing, but I'll attempt to fix this today.

Edit: New version has just gone up on the workshop. Think I've fixed that issue with platform, at least I was able to use a drifter to build a hive and disperse a blueprint. Also added some small tweaks to the comm invis (Thanks to Flaterectomy for finding those).
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hello,
    I found two stuck spots on Biodome (not NSL but I'd guess it's the same).
    I'll just post them here since the official one doesn't have a thread (again ;) ) and both makers/modders seem to read it.

The first one is a fairly uncommen place but the second one is quite nasty if you are using that vent to escape.

#1:MkipV14.jpg

#2:ORRPkas.jpg
    Note that the stuck spot is on either side of the vent.

Both were encountered on a server but started a local to see if I could recreate it.
    I also left annotations at the spots if that makes it easier to find (is that still visited? :) ).
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    I found a dead power spot in biodome, its the same spot in the ns2 and nsl versions.

NSL Biodome
    F5D8BE5A5A1013748A5FEAA1ABAFC50A2D391E32

NS2 Biodome
    A79B1E3A3FE3B4FB27BCBA472C18999EB016D3CF
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I can't believe we missed that.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    not sure if this was fixed but macs cannot find a way to build the power node in filtration