game director 75k

jaimdjaimd Join Date: 2009-03-22 Member: 66855Members
hi i have this question anyone will pay 75k dollars for this?
i mean this is a little expensive how much people are working in UWE?
and i think that make a game you just cant do it in 5 days i was planning
a lot of years ago to make a re-make of future cop with actual technology
but, in 5 days can make a game? you make ns2 in 5 years not 5 days
if i pay that i can learn how to model, script, animation, or something like that?
(the only i know is programming in csharp, and C,little C++ and nothing more)
can you make a game in 5 days?

and i really dont understood well how it works, if i pay that you puchase flight
to uwe office and i am your "boss" for 5 days?
i prefer to work with you

Comments

• jaimdjaimd Join Date: 2009-03-22 Member: 66855Members
    by the way, why it cost 550k make these updates?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    jaimd wrote: »

This crazy thing called labor rate
    yeah but how many people work in UWE i thought thath was 3 peoples the makers of this game or im wrong?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It takes ALOT to develop/update a game, especially for a small indie group like UWE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    yeah but how many people work in UWE i thought thath was 3 peoples the makers of this game or im wrong?

You are wrong, the current people working on it are listed here: http://unknownworlds.com/about/

• HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    and asking the director 75k can someone explain me more better?
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have no idea what you said at all
    i read the wiki link and now i understood why it cost 75k, but i dont understood
    how it works in this game the game director, the UWE will make a game for me?
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    but, in 5 days can make a game?

You can't really make a "game" in 5 days. You can make the skeleton structure of a mod of NS2 in 5 days (UWE has proven this already by making mods in 5 days, such as Last Stand), but certainly not a completely different game that has hundreds of different models/textures than NS2. You would mostly be using existing NS2 models and textures, they would be able to make SOME new ones in 5 days though and you would also be using existing NS2 maps, therefore any game you make would really just be a mod of NS2..... it takes far longer than 5 days to make any sort of decent map.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I kinda thought the 5 day time frame was impractical, too. :-/
    I have no idea what you said at all

sorry i am from argentina and i dont know enlgish very well.

by the way with only programming in csharp or c i cannot do a game or i can?
    and asking something else, i recently bought the game, where is the source code so i can mod and the spark editor?

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would hope that for the 75k you get a licence to use Spark, a Prototype of a game on Spark, as well as the ablility to speak to the developers of the engine with questions.

Also, i's sure that they would answer any and all questions you have about programming and teach you everything they could (after all, you wold be the boss for a week :D)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    I imagine the $75k option is more for angel type investors than normal everyday donaters. Or incredibly wealthy NS2 players.
    yeah but im not a rich man with 500 millons of dollars to pay thath y have only
    $115 pesos(not dollars) to pay this amazing game
    searching in the main folder of ns2 i found the editor but when i click on it it say "unable to initialize render device",
    same problem with cinematic tool
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    ezekel wrote: »

This crazy thing called labor rate

Don't forget things like office space, and increased commercial rates for everything else in an expensive part of the country.

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

Theoretically you can do anything with C.
    How long that will take depends on your own knowledge and the scope of the project, though. And on your masochism.

C# is more limiting in that regard, but it can be used as scripting language in Unity and is more on the realistic side for a game made by small teams.
    CrushaK wrote: »

Theoretically you can do anything with C.
    How long that will take depends on your own knowledge and the scope of the project, though. And on your masochism.

C# is more limiting in that regard, but it can be used as scripting language in Unity and is more on the realistic side for a game made by small teams.

i am in the university in my second year, thats why i aws aking xd.

in argentina theres a carrer caller higher technical programmer in games thath cost like $2000 per month!

they teach you how to use 3dmax,programming and unity in full scale but its very explensive, i pay $550 for my current carrer
    but they only teach to do "business" programs, i know well csharp from microsoft visual studio but i know if i study the
    important things i can make a game

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Bear in mind that UWE made three pretty decent although obviously unfinished mods during the modjam - and that was dividing their efforts in the same amount of time. If you get them to all form like Voltron then you can probably actually get a pretty decent game mode out of them. They're incredibly fast designers and programmers and it's honestly a little intimidating to watch them work.

As for why the large goal number for Reinforced, well, as was mentioned above you ought to read through the credits. Basically only the testers and other community contributors are unpaid (trying to pay for QA would be completely insane even for the the most scandalous temp agency outsource crap half the industry uses); all the off-site designers, animators and artists still get paid for their work. On top of that UWE hired some seriously talented people for their main office who could probably make a whole hell of a lot more money working in any other industry, so it's a miracle they get by on the budget that they have.
    yeah you are right, but how you know how fast they work? theres is any video in youtube or something
    behind the scenes? in the office of UWE? like an interview?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Several of the developers actually streamed the entire ModJam process. Let me see if I can find the archived VODs for you on twitch.tv (I think they were on the Natural Selection 2 channel and maybe chops' channel). As for why I personally know how well they work, well, to say that the playtesters work with the developers very closely and have a much better relationship in general than the average QA/developer relationship would be a massive understatement.
  • CaptivaCaptiva Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187588Members
    edited September 2013
    75 thousand and 9 main employees...
    So it basically amounts to "pay us 8000 bucks each and we will let you watch us work for a week."

If I didn't love this game I would say it wasn't worth it, but I would pay that if I had a ton of extra cash, Or any cash.

But if anyone is interested, I will let you watch me work for a week for only a paltry 5 thousand...
    Though as a disclaimer legally I cant let you tell me what to do, but you can certainly watch.
    No one ever said it wasn't a bit silly. That said I'd be surprised if they didn't put in some ridiculous effort to get you your money's worth. :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Captiva wrote: »
    75 thousand and 9 main employees...
    So it basically amounts to "pay us 8000 bucks each and we will let you watch us work for a week."

If I didn't love this game I would say it wasn't worth it, but I would pay that if I had a ton of extra cash, Or any cash.

But if anyone is interested, I will let you watch me work for a week for only a paltry 5 thousand...
    Though as a disclaimer legally I cant let you tell me what to do, but you can certainly watch.
    That includes the costs for flying you out to stay in San Francisco for a week.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Keep in mind this is a donation/income thing.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thank you for your application. I regret to inform you that you have not been successful this time. For specific feedback, please contact the HR department.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    if I had 75k to spare, it might be worth it just to command hugh to wear his trademark costume - and bring me a coffee.