The maps in competetive play post build 254

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Competitive Play
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, I wasn't exactly sure what to search for.

In build 254, aliens now require a 3rd hive to drop fade and onos eggs. This means, if you lose your first fade, you're not going to have it replaced unless you get up to 3 bases.

I'm not saying wether or not this is imba in itself. What I'd rather say is, the current maps are imbalanced for this change. Look at veil for example - if marines just tech lock one of the hives, aliens are screwed. Even if they have nanogrid, it doesn't matter because they can't spend the resources they get from there. Even on a maps like summit where there are 5 tech points, it's still relatively easy for the marines to contest the 3rd hive location.

The only map I can really think of, where this change makes sense - is tram with aliens spawning north. This is the only map where aliens actually have a reasonable chance to get that 3rd hive up, and it's because they get that easy 2nd hive in either warehouse or server room, and then have a pretty fair contest between elevator transfer and repair room.

I think if this change is going to stay, we should first of all have static spawns on tram to ensure marines don't get top spawns, but also create some more maps in the similar idea of tram - in the sense of letting aliens have an easy 2nd natural expansion, and 2 or maybe even 3 evenly contested tech locations.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fade eggs were ridiculously OP before, I for one am happy to know that they aren't as common.

If you don't lose your Fade, you'll do fine. If you do lose your Fade, the marines deserve to get some sort of advantage from that.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fade eggs were ridiculously OP before, I for one am happy to know that they aren't as common.

If you don't lose your Fade, you'll do fine. If you do lose your Fade, the marines deserve to get some sort of advantage from that.

Sure, problem is; how do you get back from losing those fades if you can't get the 3rd hive? I've witnessed quite a lot of scrims where aliens were dominating the res-game, but had no way to spend the t.res because they were tech locked.

All I'm proposing is engineering the maps so aliens have a chance, not a right, to get that 3rd hive up.
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, just don't lose the fade to begin with (hard right now I know), though I'd personally be open to making fade eggs biomass 6 and increasing the egg cost to like 100.

There really is no point having it on biomass 9, if you have biomass 9 there are much more effective things you can do than drop fade eggs for 70tres (or was the cost changed?).
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    If you lose your fades, you should just about lose the game. If you lose your fades after they secured 3 hives and 9 biomass, maybe you deserve fade eggs.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    mattji104 wrote: »
    If you lose your fades after they secured 3 hives and 9 biomass, maybe you deserve fade eggs.

Fade eggs should really be at a max of 7 biomass, that way you still needed to get 3 hives but you don't have to blow 50 more res on upgrading the hive twice.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I agree with the idea that a third of aliens' tech tree isn't used, since we never see long enough a 3rd hive...

However, whining about the fact you can't have a fade factory is not an argument for anything :D Dude, rely on your skill, not on the T res your team has. I know it's hard, but maybe start practicing combat on a private server with your teammates ? It will help, for sure.

I really don't know why you are posting this thread saying "hell no ! I can't flash my fade anymore... My commander can't drop eggs now :("

Anyway, T res can be used to make whips (that are more useful than fades nowadays :D ), healing stations, etc... Your comm now has to use more the capacities of his structures, you know. It will help ! Also, there are some drifters management to do to help these slow fades...
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    3rd hive and biomass 9 I could see for the 250 fade but 255? Please...

Not only was the win/loss ratio completely flipped to favor marines but the fade ball isn't an issue any more. 3rd hive biomass 9 is too extreme for 255.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    T-Res fades arnt needed till late game. The games go on long enough in this build as it is, by lowering the criteria for T-Res fade drop then you can expect to add another 10-20 mins onto the 40min + games we are experiencing in Div 2
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    3rd hive and biomass 9 I could see for the 250 fade but 255? Please...

Not only was the win/loss ratio completely flipped to favor marines but the fade ball isn't an issue any more. 3rd hive biomass 9 is too extreme for 255.

Nop.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »
    Don't lose your fade.

That's a terrible argument in a balance discussion lol. How about we put fade eggs back in, and then tell the marines not to miss their shots?

I still don't understand why they don't just, you know.. balance the fade. Nerf fade HP, then increase the amount of HP they gain from biomass. Make it so their max health is still the same but their base health is lower. That way it isn't "Fadeball, GG" at 7 minutes into the game, and keeps the fades useful into the lategame. Ideally, I'm thinking you'd lower 0 biomass fade HP to the point where LMG can be effective against them. Then by the time you have 2 hives max biomass, the Fade health would be caught up to where it is on 6 biomass now. 3rd and 4th hive biomass would provide the same amount of health it does now.

Making the fade easier to kill early game but also more easily replaceable than it is now would allow room for the marines to be successful during the mid game, while still allowing a margin of error for an alien comeback. It's just as ridiculous to expect someone to never die as it is to expect someone to never miss.

• MarioLopez69MarioLopez69 Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188081Members
    edited September 2013
    Golden wrote: »
    Don't lose your fade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6OCyj6rCiT4#t=1170

go to 19:30

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be fair, the sentry battery died before he did...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    "Turrets OP" - golden

Anyway...
    The fade has always been the backbone of the alien mid/late game. Aliens should be punished if they lose them. An alien team can lose one of the three fades and still be in the game. If you lose more than one, you wont be in a good spot. Tres drops are just an "oh-sh!t' button that should not be in the comp-side of the game.

Also, nano should only be usable on structures.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    To be fair, the sentry battery died before he did...

That battery deserved it!
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I'm not sure my input is even worthwhile here since I'm not a competitive player but what about this:
    - Fade eggs can be dropped on 6 biomass but they require almost double the resources - 130 (number can be balanced/changed ofc)
    - Fade eggs cost 70 on 9 biomass, being reduced in cost by 20 per biomass from 6-9
    - Onos eggs still cost 100 on 9
    - Have a tooltip explaining this
    - 9+ biomass has no effect on further cost reduction

Considering that fades were nerfed this patch and just having it as an extra option to spend res compared to what we have now. Hell if this feature is a decent idea it could be applied to other eggs if it fits. I haven't watched many competitive games but NSL S3 is on so maybe time will tell. Not even sure if fades are a serious issue atm so maybe not having them on 2hive tres isn't a bad thing.

Just something to save up to and allows the comm to do some more offensive play while waiting for that Tres unless they wanna use drifters ofc.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The suggestion has already made somewhere in the forum : you have a special building that makes fade eggs. You have to build it first to make it pop a fade egg. If this building dies during the creation of the egg, you lose the res. After creating a fade egg, you have a cooldown before being able to make another one.

There are tons of solutions to get rid of this "fadeplosion". I think the changes to the fade are pretty good, but a bit "too much". Its speed is, indeed, quite slow :s Add to this the fact your blink uses a lot of adren... It's a big nerf my friends :(

BUT I DON'T CARE, I'M A LERK MOUHAHAHAHAHA
    Speed is only slow if you haven't figured out the way it works now :P