Need Marine Model in Main Menu!

_Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Looking at descent and now biodome in the main menu is cool and stuff. But please can you also render a marine standing there.

I never see myself when playing. So what does (elite) assault armor / female marine etc. give me?

If I could at least look at my selected marine outfit every time I'm in the main menu, that would be great. :)

Comments

• DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here's another revenue-generating opportunity for UWE: Customizable Main Menu screens! Choose your background, choose your character that is standing there, etc.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Implementation of this. Could ascend to this.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That mod looks neat! It would be cool if you could add to the options menu an option to display your character and then let you move the camera around, zoom in/out, etc. Also would be great to be able to pick any alien lifeform, not just the Skulk. Who knows, maybe in the future we get Shadow Fades.
    Implementation of this. Could ascend to this.

Oh boy, TVTropes. Some people are going to give up on these forums the internet real life for a few hours days months forever.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome mod! And it would be great if it could be adopted as an official feature!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Hold on a day because I have fixed a LOT of things, and added even more, and made it work with the unreleased patch that is coming soon, so when that comes out I'll publish the changes. But until then wait in anticipation for some really cool things to be added to the mod ;)

Basically the idea of the mod was to make the "Viewer.exe" implemented in a way into the game where you could view your models that you so rarely get to see, especially with the new Reinforced content. It's not really possible to pan around, and the current way I have it set up I wanted to have a slider where you could set the angle of the idle model, but you can't set the angle of cinematics D:

I really want to expand upon this and add a lot more stuff, still thinking of things to do, and stuff to add, and how I would do it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That sounds fantastic! But why isn't it added to the official build? I think you have the connection to push it up. Do you not want your work implemented or what is the problem?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The problem is, there are changes between the current build and the PT build that prevent it from working. And since I already got it working for the PT build there is no sense in making it work for the old stock build too.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I miss the alpha menu with the marine standing by and the MAC going to work and the sneaky Skulks
    SHH YOU DIDNT SEE THE
    sneaky Skulks
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The problem is, there are changes between the current build and the PT build that prevent it from working. And since I already got it working for the PT build there is no sense in making it work for the old stock build too.

Sorry, I worded this wrong. This is not what I meant. The question was, why is it a mod in the workshop when it is obviously a huge improvement. It could be implemented into the next build.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'd like to see a separate Options screen just for player customisation. This would be a section where you can set your name, decals, models and other visual options and get to see the results instantly in the form of a 3D model you can rotate. Obviously, this would require the ability to switch to different models like exo and lifeforms too.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    What's wrong with it being a mod? I'd rather the Devs spent their time on more important features than a screen you see for 10 seconds
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Chizzler wrote: »
    What's wrong with it being a mod? I'd rather the Devs spent their time on more important features than a screen you see for 10 seconds
    Well, unless there's an issue with maintaining the code then Samusdroid already did all the work. NS2 is full of stuff that was developed by community members and later adopted into the game.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited September 2013
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Chizzler wrote: »
    Well, unless there's an issue with maintaining the code then Samusdroid already did all the work. NS2 is full of stuff that was developed by community members and later adopted into the game.

Fair point. Can't really argue with that response so I have to "Awesome" that. :P
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Mod updated
    Soooo faassst, great work as usual
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    -Added option to hide the news feed
    OOOOHHH... Sexy menu background returns to full glory!!
    :-bd
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I gave u an awesome SamusDroid, because the mod is. I normally don't install mods for fear of it breaking the game or my crappy computer (or not being able to join servers). But this is exactly how the main game menu should look (it just adds that extra little polish). Really really nice. I hope it will be included in the official build in the future. Very very Well Done.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    All character customization options should be moved to a new "customization" tab IMO. It's getting a bit crowded. I do like the idea of seeing your current skin on the main menu background. Built in model viewer on customization tab (with zoom and that type of stuff) would be cool as well.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Ah nevermind, you have the skulk option in already.
    Also Deluxe model shows up as Assault.
    What do you mean? Do you mean 2 skulks next to each other?
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Absolutely love this mod, great work @SamusDroid.
    - Made it so you can scroll through the credits and news with the middle mouse wheel.
    - Added an autoscroll through the credits when not mused over the GUI
    - Various fixes
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Listening to the gorge's labored breathing while selecting a server made me think of this:

• duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I have a special dev gorge in my menu that breakdances.

Really.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    dux wrote: »
    I have a special dev gorge in my menu that breakdances.

Really.

pics or it didn't happen

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Thats nothing compared to my Tap Dancing Onos