Multi-ethnic Marines?

LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I mean, its great that you got female soldiers in the game and all that but not every marine is Caucasian.

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The NS2 marines are from the (our) future so they are made to look like a blend of all races (since in the end earth turns into a multi racial FCKFEST, atleast in the long run).
    So they are not white or black or asian, they are somewhere in between.
    I am sure i red this somewhere some time anyway.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I want a geordie marine :(
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Lingos wrote: »
    I mean, its great that you got female soldiers in the game and all that but not every marine is Caucasian.

Oh come on now, did we really need to have one of these threads. #-o

It's a scifi! How the hell do you know what race they should be!?

It's okay to put gender race whatever equality in a game for the sake of it. It's okay to ask for it. But it's not okay to whine about the lack of it, because it's not what the game is about.

Edit: P.S. I want a lizard-race marine. We all know the reptilians wearing human suits will take over the world in the future.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited September 2013
    Lingos wrote: »

Like the second poster said, do you really think the races as they are now will be the same hundreds of years into the future?

Better question, do you think that the races today are the same as the races from 3000 years ago?

Things change, including race. It's one of the reasons why putting emphasis on race rather than culture is ridiculously stupid.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Welp, should have seen this one coming, UWE went out of their way with the female marine because their fan base wanted it. Since it was female, if they don't add in asian/black marines I guess they're racist now right?
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Welp, should have seen this one coming, UWE went out of their way with the female marine because their fan base wanted it. Since it was female, if they don't add in asian/black marines I guess they're racist now right?

Don't forget insensitive to the disabled when we don't have one legged or deaf or blind marines...

• CaptivaCaptiva Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187588Members
    edited September 2013
    Marine taunts are in a black mans voice... if that helps.
    Plus it does make sense that many hundreds of years on the future we will all look more similar. People being crammed into spaceships and colonies would make this even more likely.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »

Don't forget insensitive to the disabled when we don't have one legged or deaf or blind marines...

Need a wheelchair marine, most of the marines I command seem unable to walk anyway.

No, disabled marines MUST play commander; or get a free EXO.
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    YES! we need the african american guy back from natural selection 1 so I can be this guy:

MEET ME SOMEWHERE!
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I was reminiscing the other day about the black marine from NS1. It would be cool to have him back, complete with maybe his own taunts/voice commands.

Put this as part of the reinforcement program. I'd pay $20 for the black marine.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter

they are printed from the best samples ehuehuheheuheuheuhe 999999 brazil
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Need a wheelchair marine, most of the marines I command seem unable to walk anyway.

No, disabled marines MUST play commander; or get a free EXO.

Also, they're clearly discriminating puppies. I mean... did you see a single puppy in this game? In the whole game? No?! Coincidence?!?! I think not!!!
  • StolidStolid Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170135Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excuse me but how come there's no transgender marines? Check your privileges, cis scum DEVELOPERS.
  • terrible spammerterrible spammer Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179927Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldn't want to play as an african-american marine. They always die first, you know.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited September 2013

There's nothing racist about the Kharaa disliking chinese or mexican food, maybe they're picky? ;)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There was a skin somebody made w/ a *ehem* more colorful face. I'm having trouble finding it now, but it looked great.
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    I don't really see the need for it, tbh....but a quick and easy patch would be accent voice packs - so an asian voice pack, crisp british accent, texas cowboy, black-rapper voice pack...I'd pay $$$ to sound like Samuel L Jackson. hehe. Applicable for females too.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    cpt000 wrote: »
    I don't really see the need for it, tbh....but a quick and easy patch would be accent voice packs - so an asian voice pack, crisp british accent, texas cowboy, black-rapper voice pack...I'd pay $$$ to sound like Samuel L Jackson. hehe. Applicable for females too.

Yeah, I'd go for a voice pack DLC too. Just as long as it didn't get too silly.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    I thought female marines was actually going to add something to the game...

it was just a skin?

would be more interesting if they would have some stat better and some other stat worse then the men
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    They are all clones, problem solved.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited September 2013
    While they're at it, I insist they spend all their available resources on recording additional sound assets with multiple accents. Why must all marines sound like Americans? This is an outrage!

Seriously dude, while I see what you're trying to say, there really are more pressing issues to address at the moment, than a barely visible piece of "skin" sticking out form under a helmet.

Ups, already been said.
    Long story short, while a nice touch, it's something that would be barely noticeable and there really are some fairly big issues that need addressing right now (like performance). Plus, I'm sure there are mods out there that already do this kind of thing.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    actually this far into the future human's gene pool has sufficiently mixed... eliminating distinct racial groups.
  • CaptivaCaptiva Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187588Members
    edited September 2013
    Sops wrote: »

The clone company Must be running a special on White Marines right now...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Stolid wrote: »
    Excuse me but how come there's no transgender marines? Check your privileges, cis scum DEVELOPERS.
    I'd imagine the moustache mod still works for the female marines.
  • MostlySilentMostlySilent Join Date: 2013-03-09 Member: 183814Members, NS2 Playtester
    I think I read somewhere that when you "die" your armor sends out an emergency signal that causes the infantry portal to reconstruct you.

So it's the same Marines every time bros, just like how the aliwins recycle, so does the TSF.

And there goes another great potential revenue generating income for UWE down the drain. :)
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Daphisto wrote: »

And there goes another great potential revenue generating income for UWE down the drain. :)

They would catch more flak for trying to sell a black marine then just not having one at all.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    well i did a black marine skin remake from the original and it turned out really good:
    c6uoyWU.jpg

Here is the actual comparison with mine at the bottom and original on top:
    DggvcFI.jpg
  • pigtailsboypigtailsboy Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187772Members
    By and large I don't need to be any color or sex to feel comfortable with a game. If the game dev intends to create only one unit to represent all the human players then I won't make waves. Likewise if they wish to represent all colors and sexes in their game it's their choice. What I can never understand is why someone who's playing the game can't ignore what their avatar looks like. I will just as soon accept being a woman as be an Italian in a game. I do not feel repressed or unrepresented by those images because that's not what many games are about.

The arguments for having those choices make sense when the game has a high degree of choice and it's character malleable. The Narrative based game sort of demands the player be and accept what they are born into.

I'd leave it to the dev entirely on this though. I can't view my self and any sex or regional aspect I appear as is only appreciated (and just as easily ignored) by the alien team.
This discussion has been closed.