ETA on performance patch?

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Sorry to ask guys. But i think old- and new players would like to know what to expect. I certainly have some more questions with regards to optimization.

UWE stated that it's their priority to work at performance now. What i would like to ask is: Can you get performance back to the same level it was pre-Reinforced?
Or, because of the new renderers, are we about to wait for multiple patches to bring it to that same level again?
Finally, can you give an ETA on the first performance patch?

Cheers.

Comments

• ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I am also very interested in all of the above myself. Loving the new patch but having to run around in biodome with the game turned to the absolute minimum is starting to hurt my soul :(
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Waiting for that too. No fun playing with those freezes.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    First thing they should do is release a new NS2.exe with properties set to disabling Windows Aero..
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    You are lucky, at least you can play! I expect them to hotfix the crashes very soon, but then again, I hope for that 7 times out of 10 builds for an eternity now and all I get are "sorry" and "buy a console if you want to play a stable game" like answers.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Am I really the only one who hasn't experienced a single crash, drop in fps or other technical issues in the transitions from 250 onwards?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like to take this further and ask when will come a patch that fixes the Desktop Window Manager (composition) problem?

I am running Windows 8 so there isnt any simple option to disable it in the .exe's properties.
  • MururmirMururmir Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186849Members
    Alright, thank you for letting us know. A lot of people will be happy with knowing that you are on it ;)
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    I can live with the performance problems (seem to run fine if you set the game to windowed and on 1280*720, at least in my case), but please fix those crashes. (and make thumb buttons work under linux )
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited September 2013
    Yeah when my server loads to Biodome, a full server of 24 will simply leave.

It's either everyone hates the map or peoples machines can't handle it.

I'm taking it out of the map rotation for now.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    A lot of The entrances to Agri and Bridge from/to Mainhall drop my fps to 70 and give me 7ms waiting for render in r_stats. In an empty server. A lot of other problem spots where the framerate just plummets. I like the map though. Had a lot of interesting fights in the areas so far.
  • NateN34NateN34 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166643Members
    edited September 2013
    I can run the game, but just barely. Drops down from solid 60 FPS in a lot of spots now... When it drops, that is when two of my cores are maxed...CPU bottleneck.

Could care less about how I run it. Anyone with something slower than a 2500K @ 4 GHz will have issues running it. AMD users....basically can't play the game, considering their per-core performance is about half of Intels and this game only uses two cores..

Hope a fix comes out soon......should of come out before the Free Weekend. Know a lot of friends who just said "Screw this game", because the performance is so bad.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You should be getting more than 60 with that overclock tbh. Have you disabled all the bloom and haze effects?

The game actually looks better and cleaner with every visual option besides textures completely disabled.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    NateN34 wrote: »
    I can run the game, but just barely. Drops down from solid 60 FPS in a lot of spots now... When it drops, that is when two of my cores are maxed...CPU bottleneck.

Could care less about how I run it. Anyone with something slower than a 2500K @ 4 GHz will have issues running it. AMD users....basically can't play the game, considering their per-core performance is about half of Intels and this game only uses two cores..

Hope a fix comes out soon......should of come out before the Free Weekend. Know a lot of friends who just said "Screw this game", because the performance is so bad.

huh, weird. I've a AMD CPU and I never saw it reach even 90% on a core. And I've 3.6 GHz/core on a 6 core CPU.

• RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Haven't had any problems... plays the same for me.
  • Ratman_84Ratman_84 Join Date: 2013-06-04 Member: 185473Members
    I just got the new patch last night and there is definitely some hardcore mouse lag now. Making it real hard to play the game. Disabling visual themes and desktop composition helped a little, but it's still bad.
  • IndrarohIndraroh Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only issue I currently have is the horrendous stuttering. However that's fixable by disabling vsync, leaving the menu, and then re-enabling it.
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    countbasie wrote: »
    First thing they should do is release a new NS2.exe with properties set to disabling Windows Aero..

Looking at the compatibility tab - there is the option to deactivate visual designs - did you mean that?
  • ArgishArgish Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Martin7 wrote: »
    countbasie wrote: »

Looking at the compatibility tab - there is the option to deactivate visual designs - did you mean that?

I think it's the one below... something similar to desktop composition If I remember correctly.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited September 2013
    Argish wrote: »
    Martin7 wrote: »

I think it's the one below... something similar to desktop composition If I remember correctly.

Yeah that one. That way people wouldn't have to search the forums in the first place. And it really helps (temporarily of course).
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
  • PalpoPalpo Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187823Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I have tried all of the fixes that have been posted to these forums, and still nothing has completely fixed the input lag problem for me. Reduced it, yes, but I still find it to be unplayable. So I'm also hanging out for a fix-patch before I can actually try out this new build. :(

Despite my join date, I've played NS for 10 years and have lurked these forums for much of that time btw. This is the first patch I've come across that has completely stopped mefrom being able to play. Hope it's fixed ASAP!
  • pinepine Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168276Members
    I'll jinx it;

I have had _zero_ problems with NS2 since beta. Excluding the connection issue which was caused by av-software.
    3570 @ 4.2, radeon 7950, 8gb, win7x64, ns runs on ssd.

Guess I'm just lucky, I have no complaints.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited September 2013
  • UrbanMuslimUrbanMuslim Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187160Members
    I have tried all of the fixes and am running Windows 8, Core I7, 8GBs of RAM. I have not been able to play due to mouse imput lag since reinforced has come out. I have been a loyal NS fan since NS1 and I am just going to say it would be nice if the UWE team could at least publicly acknowledge there are glaring issues and that they are working to fix it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just want the loading times and freezings fixed.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I have tried all of the fixes and am running Windows 8, Core I7, 8GBs of RAM. I have not been able to play due to mouse imput lag since reinforced has come out. I have been a loyal NS fan since NS1 and I am just going to say it would be nice if the UWE team could at least publicly acknowledge there are glaring issues and that they are working to fix it.
    They have, and they are.

• UrbanMuslimUrbanMuslim Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187160Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    They have, and they are.

Thanks for the update Ironhorse.
  • CaptivaCaptiva Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187588Members
    edited September 2013
    I have Win 7, an AMD 6 core @ 3Ghz, 12Gb of RAM and an aging but still decent 1Gb DX 11 Vid card.

With ambient occlusion set to Med and bloom and Anisotropic filtering off, V sync to DB and everything else set to highest or on, I get 50 FPS in main menu and when playing maybe drops to mid 40s.

Mouse lag has been an issue, but a very minor one. The game has not crashed at all in 30 hours of playing so far. Overall, game looks great and runs pretty decent for me.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Guys I think the amount of available Video RAM may be an issue. I invested into GTX 670 with 4GB VRAM, and so far, I have very little problems - no crashes, for sure, overall performance drop is noticeable, microstutter too, but it's still playable.