Bone Shield

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Anybody else used this yet? It doesn't seem too useful with its current iteration. I'm assuming its for a siege situation with exos, but by the time they figure out they're not hurting you, they just wait for it to go down and go in for the kill since you're low on energy anyways. I think if you moved at crouching speed while using it would make it more useful. Are there any good tactics to try out besides that?

Comments

• Spiker101Spiker101 Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148869Members
    Maybe in front of a power node while someone else is biting it?
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Maybe with a little Onos Bone Shield Leap Frog?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Onos can be a distraction on its own now without having to go everywhere with a Gorge and retreat at the first sign of trouble, maybe? I think it's way too early to say it isn't useful.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's usefull for absorbing the initial burst of damage when engaging a marine base and a good defensive ability for an early onos that doesn't have all the biomass upgrades. It's a very strong ability when timed right.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    It's a very powerful ability. Especially, when you want to suck up damage for your mates. I can see it being very useful, when there are a lerk and a gorge behind you, who can spam the marines with spikes and bile bomb.

Only this ability makes me want to play onos all the time, cause you can do some really cool stuff with it and actually be a tank of the team. The marines are like pew pew pew but then look at you in an awkward way, wondering why you didn't die. ^^ Oh and the onos looks cute, when he does that. He reminds me of a kitten, no, a lion, who is very shy.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    edited August 2013
    delta78 wrote: »
    He reminds me of a kitten, no, a lion, who is very shy.

Put'em up, put'em up!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    it's been slightly useful in harassment, but honestly, people will learn to play around it i think. paired with regen and celerity :).
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    You could try having a gorge or two behind you lobbing bile bombs into a base while you take all the heat for instance. <:-P
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Been playing around with it, it is fairly useful for getting everybody to empty their clips for the first 5 seconds then going in for the kill while they're reloading.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    When I first saw it, it thought it would be cool idea to get three oni to cover power node and one gorge to bile it. Ni idea if this could actually work in real game. But there tend to be 3+ oni in late pub game.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Chikun wrote: »
    It's usefull for absorbing the initial burst of damage when engaging a marine base and a good defensive ability for an early onos that doesn't have all the biomass upgrades. It's a very strong ability when timed right.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't get any abilities and health increase if you don't have lifeform upgrade. I haven't played much since 252.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Boneshield is overall kinda dumb. Just take 2 steps to the left and you can still do damage lol. I think you can actually still do damage to parts of the legs when you're looking head on. He's waaaaay too slow while using boneshield imo. Every time I've seen someone use it, they've tanked for 3 or 4 seconds, then died when the marines inevitably flanked him. Bone shield is kind of a noob trap.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    seems like it'd be useful with regen or a gorge behind you. I pretty much always go carapace but i think this would make regen much more viable for onos.
  • Dash-ElDash-El Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72925Members
    I think its amazing, if OP, currently. Tons of uses from protecting a team mates retreat, getting 'aggro', or simply blocking marine progress. Its also a fantastic gorge delivery system.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's about timing a proper engagement, I'm not sure if the current variation is the same one I tested a while ago; but it's great to run into a base, hit bone shield, then have a lerk come in and draw some cover with umbra while ammo is/was blown on you then have the rest of the team engage elsewhere then come out of bone shield and began your onos engagement