Reinforced Expansion Released! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What's wrong with them wanting to get paid for their work?
  • VettoVetto Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187267Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So my question is how long will this last? Up until the goal met or will they be going to a date even after the goal met, cause frankly I want to donate 75 bucks loved the game and well ya the Elite Assault marine looks epic, on the same note my funding a little low right now.
  • ChimichangaChimichanga Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157618Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's wrong with them wanting to get paid for their work?

You know how it is, Graphical designers, Game Developers, they are just... Artists. Why do they need money? Not like they do any hard work, right? -ME- -I- who sit here on my high horse demands that they do everything for free and they have to do everything correct or i will be butthurt and complain loudly in their general direction at how bad they did things and how useless they are.

Or something like that... I don't freaking know...
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I don't freaking know...

No, I don't think you do.

I do agree that people should be compensated for their work, I also have no problem with a possible microtransaction model based on cosmetic changes (assuming its done right), or even despite my earlier post, retroactively kickstarting the Reinforced expansion (since its based entirely on good will).

What I do have a problem with is the approach towards people that already bought the game.
  • sky1sky1 Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166108Members
    anyone knows if the artbook will be on sale in the store? it's really tempting but i cannot afford 333$
  • ChimichangaChimichanga Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157618Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I don't freaking know...

I do agree that people should be compensated for their work, I also have no problem with a possible microtransaction model based on cosmetic changes (assuming its done right), or even despite my earlier post, retroactively kickstarting the Reinforced expansion (since its based entirely on good will).

What I do have a problem with is the approach towards people that already bought the game.

You mean the two large free content updates? A development team that listens, a great community?

Look, we all wish that NS2 sold like CoD or BF3... But... it don't and it wont. I am going to bold this. Because for some reason the new generations have yet to understand this.

Nothing, NOTHING is for free

It is that simple. You don't HAVE to donate to the Reinforce program, No one HAS to. But Development costs money and this is our game and if we want our game to move forward with more content, we are gonna have to fund it.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    edited August 2013
    Okay, interesting... reversed Kickstarter approach: here is the game for 5 $ now you can fund the development of an update already released with the usual reward system. Could work out as the product is definitely AAA quality and you have a fanatic fanbase. This seems to be really on the border edge of where Indie and professional development collide with pretty pricy salaries for programmers and artists on your side. Well, you earned it. I waited a long time for Linux and OpenGL support. If only Steam would not download the update so slowly and performance would have really improved dramatically so you can play this on everyday machines.
  • MofasofaMofasofa Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187151Members
    Na sorry I think most of the players are dissapointed. We want a steady game. You fix so much that the game gets more broke than better. And now you want money for something that nobody requested. Why don't you just move on to develop the next game. This one is good as it is (was) you have the official permission from your fanbase to stop worseimproving NS2 and starting something awesome new.
    I don't freaking know...

You mean the two large free content updates? A development team that listens, a great community?

Look, we all wish that NS2 sold like CoD or BF3... But... it don't and it wont. I am going to bold this. Because for some reason the new generations have yet to understand this.

It is that simple. You don't HAVE to donate to the Reinforce program, No one HAS to. But Development costs money and this is our game and if we want our game to move forward with more content, we are gonna have to fund it.

Once again, you just don't see what the problem is. So, I'll repeat again, I have NO BEEF with the content updates or the Reinforced program. I get it, they need funding, its not the first time they ask the community for donations, and probably not the last. Once again, no problems here, no one is forcing anyone to pay. In fact, I may even throw in a few bucks myself. The problem is the treatment of the existing community, openly using them as willing or unwilling test subjects for broken releases.
    If this was a one off, maybe I wouldn't mind as much, but UW has a rather long history of similarly bad moves, the most infamous being the "Fall 2009" mess.
    Re-read my original rant and you might get a better idea of what I'm driving at.
    Either that, or stick around for another ten years.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    I don't freaking know...

Once again, you just don't see what the problem is. So, I'll repeat again, I have NO BEEF with the content updates or the Reinforced program. I get it, they need funding, its not the first time they ask the community for donations, and probably not the last. Once again, no problems here, no one is forcing anyone to pay. In fact, I may even throw in a few bucks myself. The problem is the treatment of the existing community, openly using them as willing or unwilling test subjects for broken releases.
    If this was a one off, maybe I wouldn't mind as much, but UW has a rather long history of similarly bad moves, the most infamous being the "Fall 2009" mess.
    Re-read my original rant and you might get a better idea of what I'm driving at.

Totally agree Maxx, they should get them selves a proper Beta testing team, not use the players as the beta testing team.

It's just stupid.

I don't freaking know...

I get that and i agree with DarkFlameQ as well a Proper beta testing team would do UWE well. Now while we point out all the flaws and the faults and the bad stuff. Lets not forget the good stuff. That is the problem i see with -us- sometime as a community. We prod to much at the negatives and forget to pick out the positive. This latest update has broght tons of nice and good things as well.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    How long will we be able to buy the badges?

Because I probably can't within the next two weeks.
    I get that and i agree with DarkFlameQ as well a Proper beta testing team would do UWE well

They have a dedicated team of testers composed of volunteers that do it at no cost...
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Getting terrible lag on all servers today. The ping is forever going from 50 - 400 and I'm warping around in game.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    I'm new to the boards but not NS, and I really agree with the comments about the lack of a stable game. I thought 250 and the balance mod was a big deal, until these last patches came out. I guess I'm starting to realize how many things can change.

It's just mind-boggling that they can do so many changes so fast with one of the most complex games that's ever been attempted (for balance and gameplay, I mean.)

Might as well change half the units in Starcraft 2, then make another patch that changes them again 1 month later. I mean, I have a lot of faith in UWE, and compared to the behavior of some game developers these days, they're practically saints, but I'm afraid they're changing too much too fast to really keep a focus, or give things time to settle before changing again. The players don't even have time to really understand the changes before more happen, so how can the team possibly have time considering what they have to tackle?

And here's a gripe, but does anyone else get miffed reading about 'their next big project?' It kind of pisses me off to see that since NS2 is still in such a crazy, changing state. This game has the potential to be very, very popular. It's really the only offering out there of it's kind, and is, hands down, the best sci-fi gaming experience possible. That's a fact, jack. :D lol. I just want it to be stable enough where the free weekends actually KEEP people playing instead of just inflating the servers for 2 days before the shrink back to their normal pathetic amount of regulars.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited August 2013
    Achilles wrote: »
    And here's a gripe, but does anyone else get miffed reading about 'their next big project?' It kind of pisses me off to see that since NS2 is still in such a crazy, changing state. This game has the potential to be very, very popular. It's really the only offering out there of it's kind, and is, hands down, the best sci-fi gaming experience possible. That's a fact, jack. :D lol. I just want it to be stable enough where the free weekends actually KEEP people playing instead of just inflating the servers for 2 days before the shrink back to their normal pathetic amount of regulars.

Agree about the temporary nature of the rookie-rushes once a month. But with regards to your first point, if they are going to drop NS2 and move onto something else, I can't wait! Enough of this tinkering and ruination. If only they had stopped at 251 or even 250. Now the performance has gone so far downhill, we won't even be able to play in peace once they finally stop poking at NS2.

It's just too late for anything.
    Even if they stop working on NS2 in an unfinished state, I'm pretty sure some modders will optimise balance over the years.

Hell, I'll do it if nobody else does.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    The problem is the treatment of the existing community, openly using them as willing or unwilling test subjects for broken releases.

About 500-600 of my 950 hours spent with NS2 were during the beta phase prior to its release.
    Most fun I ever had! Seeing a game grow at such a rapid pace. Boom! Dynamic infestation. Boom! Exo Suits. Boom! Crags healing like there is no tomorrow :D

Sure, there were bugs, but it all changed quickly and got fixed quickly, too. Also, I'm not the type who takes to the forums expecting that UWE caters solely to my solipsist ideas what NS2 should become or ranting that that is not set in stone and won't change for the next 100 years because of the developer neglect I might be accustomed to.
    Solaris wrote: »
    My personal dream tier:
    The ability to have my steam avatar show up as decal on my shoulder pads.
    None of that other stuff needed, just a custom decal on my SE Black Armour and I'm a happy little girl.
    Would be worth ~40€ to me. The system is in place, let use it to it's full potential!

We had a nice talk about that some while ago: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/107566/personalized-marine-helmet

• GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What! The Onos badges are already gone?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    They sold out by noon yesterday.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    They sold out by noon yesterday.

How much were they? >_>
    edited August 2013
    Hamlet wrote: »
    The problem is the treatment of the existing community, openly using them as willing or unwilling test subjects for broken releases.

About 500-600 of my 950 hours spent with NS2 were during the beta phase prior to its release.
    Most fun I ever had! Seeing a game grow at such a rapid pace. Boom! Dynamic infestation. Boom! Exo Suits. Boom! Crags healing like there is no tomorrow :D

If they still called this a beta, I wouldn't be nearly as critical of the move. But, since they insist on claiming NS2 went gold almost a year ago, I view it differently.
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Sure, there were bugs, but it all changed quickly and got fixed quickly, too. Also, I'm not the type who takes to the forums expecting that UWE caters solely to my solipsist ideas what NS2 should become or ranting that that is not set in stone and won't change for the next 100 years because of the developer neglect I might be accustomed to.

Point me to the section of my rant where I told them to change anything other than their attitude towards the player base?
    What you're seeing here is years of frustration, dating back to early days of NS1, being vented via a few rants on the forums. All things considered, Id say I'm being fairly civil and rational about it.
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    edited August 2013
    Mofasofa wrote: »
    Na sorry I think most of the players are dissapointed. We want a steady game. You fix so much that the game gets more broke than better. And now you want money for something that nobody requested. Why don't you just move on to develop the next game. This one is good as it is (was) you have the official permission from your fanbase to stop worseimproving NS2 and starting something awesome new.

Exactly. Had this donation campaign been before the whole rebalance scandal I would have donated. NS2 was my most played and favorite game from December 2012 to June 2013. I haven't played NS2 for nearly 2 months now. They killed the game for me.

There is no reason for me to donate because there is nothing for me to donate towards.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Overall both the rebalance shitstorms have been improvements in my book. However, there's still a bunch of crap they shouldnt have touched but did for no reason. like fade movement in 249.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bug report: Female marine model doesn't work in Biodome due to too many glass ceilings.

*rimshot*
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hey - guys who send me messages about badges have them fixed.
    Onos is long gone, but we're thinking about possible new tiers - we'll see about that.
    We don't have a deadline for Reinforced program.
  • L34DL34D Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63280Members
    btw. are the badges shown ingame? (Like the mod for ns1/2) Or are they just shown in the forum?
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    They will be shown in-game too.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited August 2013
    Badges are in-game too, but won't be activated in-game until September 3rd.

EDIT: Oh well, beaten to it! Sometimes I wish these forums would show you any new posts when you go to write a reply.