Why are gorge webs on such a high techtree?

stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
Are they permanent once placed?

Comments

• ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I have no clue really. If they were the same as old webs then maybe it would be warranted, but as it stands they don't even prevent marines from firing. They are a minor inconvenience at the moment.
  • DrDarkDrDark Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33326Members
    edited August 2013
    I dont know but it should be on a lower tree
  • Relax91Relax91 Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185249Members
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They'll probably be moved around quite a bit as the advantages and disadvantages are learned by the community. I'm just glad to have something to counter jet packers, even if they're pretty darn expensive.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    stibaer wrote: »

Because webs are cheap : P

So, you are the sole remaining frontiersman man, on his way with a jetpack and gl to kill the hive. You are almost there, only to get caught by a web and killed by the whip! : )
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    I have no clue really. If they were the same as old webs then maybe it would be warranted, but as it stands they don't even prevent marines from firing. They are a minor inconvenience at the moment.

And since Flame Throwers or Grenades wipe them out like crazy, they seem like a real waste of res late game... but I guess arguably late game gorges are not banking res anyway...

I would love to see these on a lower bio-mass, maybe 4 or 5, or swap babblers. As much as I love early babblers, I get that I shouldn't have my Super Battle Gorge all teched out on one hive.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Me too. I do find it is a little bit high in tech tree comparing to the time (number of sec) a marine stays stuck.

The first feeling about that was "dam you have to be quick to kill the webbed one".
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Taking res for webs...this is blasphemy! What next, web shooting lerks and 1 res for a bile bomb? You can't web up the whole map, right? That should be enough, let the gorge have some fun! (I would write more constructive stuff, but I haven't seen webs yet, because the game crashes all the time...gosh I love new builds)
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    I think they're cautiosly introduced...no doubt, they will be tweaked soon, when more results are available..

Considering they weren't anywhere near cautious about anything else they changed.... I doubt that.

Webs costing res, hell, ANY basic ability costing res aside from gorge hydra is really, really bad design. Web is suppose to counter JP, but the tech timing is so ridiculously late as to be irrelevant and they can be cleared by weapons that don't consume res to fire. JP+Shotgun was only on even ground with a good fade pre update, now *nothing* keeps with with JP+shotty, it does not have a viable counter now since the fade nerf and since web is so absurdly not viable.

The worst thing is that *anyone* could have told UWE exactly this if they had tested or given anyone a heads up about these changes had they actually been cautious.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I fully expect the tree to go through adjustments over time. I agree they are too late as it is.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not sure, but it's an amazing counter against jetpackers, that might be why.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agree with ghost, they were designed to counter JPs so that's probably why they come out so late.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why do webs honestly cost pres? Why not just limit the gorge to 5 or so webs at a time? Seems like such a waste considering they can be taken down considerably easy.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    stibaer wrote: »

A web is destroyed after 1 marine touches it.