Do you really expect to raise $550k?

Comments

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2013
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Is the funding for a new game or is it to continue updating ns2?

The reason i ask is because i actually want them to stop 'adding' to NS2 and only focus on optimisation for the next 6 months.

The game crashes loads after this new update and fps has gone down 15 :(

I would like them to finish their existing game before moving on to another.

Yeeee... I'm getting 60 FPS playing on a 2 year old laptop that isn't alienware. I really hope they don't spend much more time trying to get the game running on comodore 64s.

On another note, how much was the Onos badge? Like 1k?

Considering a lot of my ns2 friends are complaining of buggy menu's, huge drops in fps and crashing, i would safely say you're in the minority.

What graphical settings are you playing on, 640x480 resolution on low by any chance?
  • creamcream Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98671Members
    i think they will hit their goal.

but i hope they don't.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Considering a lot of my ns2 friends are complaining of buggy menu's, huge drops in fps and crashing, i would safely say you're in the minority.

What graphical settings are you playing on, 640x480 resolution on low by any chance?

Yes. I reduce my settings and resolution until I get smooth frame rates. Doing any less while still complaining about performance issues would surely be moronic?

• SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Come on guys, pay up! If they don't make it to $550k I wont receive my awesome new skin I just payed for! ;P
    edited August 2013
    I'm not donating until there's a promise they are:

a) going to optimise the game
    b) stop breaking awesome mods with each update
    c) going to make the map editor easier to use, some of the functions are retardedly long winded.
    edited August 2013

Yes. I reduce my settings and resolution until I get smooth frame rates. Doing any less while still complaining about performance issues would surely be moronic?

You think i'm the moron? lol

My friend plays ns2 on a freaking GTX titan and the latest i7 and he only gets 100fps at 1080p, now that's a joke.
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    550 K $ ? Piece of cake !
  • creamcream Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98671Members
    Sammey wrote: »
    Come on guys, pay up! If they don't make it to $550k I wont receive my awesome new skin I just payed for! ;P

i actually do hope that you don't receive the skin.

but don't worry they'll give it to you anyway.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold

My friend plays ns2 on a freaking GTX titan and the latest i7 and he only gets 100fps at 1080p, now that's a joke.

I never called anyone a moron. I said the course of action involving buying an indie game and expecting a triple A experience is moronic. You can decide yourself whether you followed this course of action or not.

Personally, I get better performance in this game than I do in BF3, on any graphical settings.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter

He should overclock ;-) . That'll help a bit. Also, what fps does he get while playing metro 2033 or crysis 1 at 1080p? Don't forget that crysis 1 is almost 6 years old now for extra læwlz.

In other on-topic news, the average contribution is $77.39 . That's quite a bit :-) . I'm guessing it'll be a bit tougher when most of the hardcore ns enthusiasts are done and the smoke clears. I really like the model though, reinforced as a DLC would've been a disastrous fail for this game... Let's hope this experiment is a success, and that other developers take notice in the days of "season passes" and DLC nickel-and-diming which has become the rule, rather than the exception, in the PC market over the last 5 years - which is sad for many reasons.
    edited August 2013
    I'm just frustrated that after heavy promotion of the game to all my gaming friends, hardly any of them continue to play the game as each new patch causes even worst performance.

During the last 4 patches, my fps has dropped from 100 to 70-80 and i haven't changed any graphical settings.

Game performance is meant to get better with each new update, not get worse.

I love UWE pricing and funding models, i just think they have seriously hurt the reputation of the game over the last 6 months which is such a shame as it could of been avoided.
    edited August 2013
    HeatSurge wrote: »

He should overclock ;-) . That'll help a bit. Also, what fps does he get while playing metro 2033 or crysis 1 at 1080p? Don't forget that crysis 1 is almost 6 years old now for extra læwlz.

I'll ask him later about his fps on those games.

Both games were well advanced for their day, Crysis maps were HUGE compared to NS2 maps so it naturally would be more graphically demanding.

As for Battlefield 3, the maps on that game are insanely huge and the engine is optimised enough to supports 64 concurrent players.

NS2 is designed to officially only support 24, unoffically, best it can do is 32, half that of BF3 on significantly smaller maps too.

NS2 may be a indie game but they could of focused on engine optimisation instead of new features since the games release.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Squirreli_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't even have noticed the Reinforcement program without this thread, and even then it took me a while to understand WTF the thread was about. For the benefit of others like me, here is the link: naturalselection2.com/reinforced/

this ^

You should make it more visible.
    Can you upgrade your donation ? ( meaning going from silver to gold for instance )

• Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    my new tag looks hot :3
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First I was like, well hey. I supported this game for a decade now, I don't owe them anything. But then again. We, the initial NS2 Playerbase, are Gentlemen, and of course we pay for your troubles to serve us with dishes. Especially if we're in for some "Secret Project Access". Oh you, UWE, oh you!
  • sushifxsushifx Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183637Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    seriously if i had the chance to get the onos badge or lets say somthing in between i would shell out up to 150 to support theses guys.

UWE i seriously love you, what you do is simply amazing and i hope we can count on your work for many more years to come
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Well I would like to say, the Titan @ 1080p is a COMPLETE waste and an i7 has hyper threading which isn't used in ANY game, so there is no advantage over an i5...(and haswell has no performance increase over Ivy as far as processing power)

I'm running 3 1080p screens in portrait surround @ 3325x1920 reso powered by SLI Titans and I get over 70-100fps (now) with an i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz. B251 I would NEVER drop below 80 and was usually between 105-120. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/655602
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll ask him later about his fps on those games.

Both games were well advanced for their day, Crysis maps were HUGE compared to NS2 maps so it naturally would be more graphically demanding.

As for Battlefield 3, the maps on that game are insanely huge and the engine is optimised enough to supports 64 concurrent players.

NS2 is designed to officially only support 24, unoffically, best it can do is 32, half that of BF3 on significantly smaller maps too.

NS2 may be a indie game but they could of focused on engine optimisation instead of new features since the games release.

I'm not claiming to be video game designer, but you clearly do not know what you are talking about.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    @BoBiNoU You can't upgrade.

edit: How long are we going to be able to buy the packs?

Well, since you immediately went to battlefields "shiny bits" rather than trying to defend its performance, I can only deduce that performance isn't really your issue, so much as it is a case of wanting shinies. You are a triple A gamer playing an indie game, you are unlikely to be satisfied by your experience I'm afraid.

• NecroNecro <insert non-birthday-related title here> Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    i think you greatly underestimate the ns fanbase. as someone from ns1 release till now i have no problems dropping 40 on the game preorder back in the day and easily will give 20-75 again.
  • kais_4kais_4 Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157127Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Martigen, I can confirm you stole the last Onos Tier that I so desperately wanted!! Curse you to oblivion!! :P I must admit a part of me secretly almost wanted to buy the $8000 option just to visit UWE haha..
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    If UWE is going to keep funding this way, it might be a good idea to keep the updates smaller. Right now I like the basic idea of Reinforced system, but the way it was launched and the iffy parts of the content make me feel really uneasy on paying for it. Regardless of whether I donate something to it or not, I feel like half of my monetary feedback is lost.

If the content updates were smaller, I could give more direct feedback on what kind of content I want to fund. For example I have no problem in donating 5 bucks for a polished and well designed map - That sends a clear message to the devs.

I guess another option would be to allow the donator to 'share' their donation to various elements in a bigger update. For example in Reinforced Shadow donation you could put 15 bucks to Biodome, 5 for good QA, 10 for tutorials and spread the rest among some features you like.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    So far: $29,160 / 382 Contributors => $76.3/donation

Instead of trying to predict what's not really predictable. Tell your friends if you love this game. Maybe they will donate something. You never know.

After all 2 more years of NS is far better than 10 years in some CS clone like COD, etc.

The only thing that would give me some fun would be GTA IV on "wrecking car mode" or try to "make the biggest jumps". But after some time even that is just boring.

NS1/2 is one of a kind game concept. If it fail, it's : go back to the "ratata", "boom", "ratata", games that are so "flat". Even RPG are lately (Oblivion, Skyrim are mostly FedEx missions).

Well, since you immediately went to battlefields "shiny bits" rather than trying to defend its performance, I can only deduce that performance isn't really your issue, so much as it is a case of wanting shinies. You are a triple A gamer playing an indie game, you are unlikely to be satisfied by your experience I'm afraid.

If i was going straight to the 'shiny bits', i would of banged on about the graphics.

Performance for the game is an issue for me with this latest patch, in game menu's are sluggish for the first time and the game crashes randomly.

Long term performance issues affect me playing with my friends who can't afford to pay out on a $1500 rig to play the game comfortably.

• best_jeppebest_jeppe Sweden Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173391Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, I bought the Shadow Badge without thinking. Was considering the Onos Badge but the included stuff within it and the price made me go for the Shadow badge which I found perfectley reasonable considering how much fun I have had with this game.
    Instead of trying to predict what's not really predictable. Tell your friends if you love this game. Maybe they will donate something. You never know.

Its far easier to belittle the attempts of others in order to make ourselves feel better! I think we should just stick to that instead!
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome stuff, in 10 years playing natural selection long time, i think i have spent around $200. It is 100% worth every penny.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Bacillus wrote: »
    If UWE is going to keep funding this way, it might be a good idea to keep the updates smaller. Right now I like the basic idea of Reinforced system, but the way it was launched and the iffy parts of the content make me feel really uneasy on paying for it. Regardless of whether I donate something to it or not, I feel like half of my monetary feedback is lost.

If the content updates were smaller, I could give more direct feedback on what kind of content I want to fund. For example I have no problem in donating 5 bucks for a polished and well designed map - That sends a clear message to the devs.

I guess another option would be to allow the donator to 'share' their donation to various elements in a bigger update. For example in Reinforced Shadow donation you could put 15 bucks to Biodome, 5 for good QA, 10 for tutorials and spread the rest among some features you like.

Sounds like a good idea. Similiar to the humble bundle sliders where you can decide where the money should go.
This discussion has been closed.