Do you really expect to raise $550k?

ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
With as small of a player base as this game has.... all I can say is... good luck with that, you'll be waiting a long time.

However, if you make the game free to play, you may have shot of achieving that goal much quicker and your playerbase would expand.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Removed unnessesary insult - GISP

F2P would flood this game with non-team players
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    They raised $25,000 today. At that pace, they will raise the money in less than a month. Obviously, it won't maintain that pace. But can they hit $550,000 in six months? Probably.

I think the more interesting question is if they can get people to do it a second time for another content expansion.

I would probably take the game free to play. Make many more cosmetic skins, not only for player characters, but weapons and all alien lifeforms. Sell them for $5-10.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game has about 1000 concurrent players on average. So in order for UWE to raise $550,000 they would need each community member to donate $550. I can't see that happening
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    The game has about 1000 concurrent players on average. So in order for UWE to raise $550,000 they would need each community member to donate $550. I can't see that happening

Your math is off by orders of magnitude.

Concurrent means at any given time. Not every single NS2 player in the world is playing simultaneously. The game has sold hundreds of thousands of copies. They don't need more than $1-2 from each person.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Wisp wrote: »

Concurrent means at any given time. Not every single NS2 player in the world is playing simultaneously. The game has sold hundreds of thousands of copies. They don't need more than $1-2 from each person.

Your math is also off. While they may have sold that many copies, a large amount of those no longer play. A better representation would be to look at the amount of unique players over the course of 2-3 days.
  • LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
    ya i doubt they will make 550k too. Wouldn't mind if they try out more options like releasing the game on the Wii U or something.

why a 75% cut though? why not a 50% cut, hell I got my friend into this game and he is a mega cheapskate and he dished out 25$ for it
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    I went into work today at 3pm EDT, the news post didnt go live yet. My first break was around 5pm, and i noticed the news about Reinforced and the upgrade program, but the page didnt fully load in time on my phone, and I had to go back to work (very short break). When I went on lunch at 7pm, all 25 Onos level badges were already sold out...... and so far the average people have spent, EXCLUDING those 25 people at $333, is $57. Nice job community xD
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The OP has a point though. It would take almost 8000 people to contribute $70! That is more than you would pay for an overpriced AAA title! I'm not saying I won't pay it, I will the moment I get the cash together, but how many of us fanatics are there? 500? 1000? With an active player base of maybe 2000? And how many people visiting these forums regularly? New People from the sale won't come onto the UWE site and pay that money when they don't share any history with the devs.
    As far as I can see this website is the only place to go to, it's not on Kickstarter. Reinforced is out, the program is out and i didn't even get an email, asking for my support. I wish UWE all the money in the world, I truly hope they succeed with that reversed kickstarting, but as I see it chances are rather slim. Maybe UWE have some tricks up their sleeves, maybe they even go F2P (I don't think that kind of audience is willing to pay 40 bucks for a skin though, after all this is not a value pack, but a supporter pack).
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Res wrote: »
    Wisp wrote: »

Your math is also off. While they may have sold that many copies, a large amount of those no longer play. A better representation would be to look at the amount of unique players over the course of 2-3 days.

Hi i'd just like to inform this chain of self-declared mathematicians that there was no math required to make any of your posts.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I like my new badge :P
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Currently the average donation is 77$. Considering the bonuses on the shadow teir, its not hard to see why.... that said, i think more onos levels should be opened up for people who want to give hundreds but not thousands. Because that gap does need filling.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Cross post from $75k thread.
    Jekt wrote:
    It's not just the limit that is the problem. It's the gap that limit has created between the tiers.
    You can either pay $75, or $8000. There is no middle ground.

UWE can't put in a tier better than the $333 one now, as the people who already purchased that would of potentially bought a $500 tier if there was even more exclusivity behind it, but that option wasn't available.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    dragonmith wrote: »
    I like your new badge to :)

• serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for posting this thread, I only skimmed the news and didn't realize UWE was asking for money. I gib money. Yay free NS2 updates.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    No, they just want funding for their new game.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    GISP wrote: »
    dragonmith wrote: »
    I like your new badge to :)

I like your new badges!
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    Lingos wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind if they try out more options like releasing the game on the Wii U or something.

most hilarious thing I've read on this forum
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2013
    Is the funding for a new game or is it to continue updating ns2?

The reason i ask is because i actually want them to stop 'adding' to NS2 and only focus on optimisation for the next 6 months.

The game crashes loads after this new update and fps has gone down 15 :(

I would like them to finish their existing game before moving on to another.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think there will be no problem raising the goal.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

The reason i ask is because i actually want them to stop 'adding' to NS2 and only focus on optimisation for the next 6 months.

The game crashes loads after this new update :(

From what I can tell, how this fundraiser goes will affect the future of NS2. If they don't make enough money they'll probably leave behind a small dev team just for bu fixes and minor improvements while most of the team works on something new. However if they do make enough they'll keep up the work on NS2
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wouldn't even have noticed the Reinforcement program without this thread, and even then it took me a while to understand WTF the thread was about. For the benefit of others like me, here is the link: naturalselection2.com/reinforced/
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

The game crashes loads after this new update :(

I believe it is keep the lights on in the UWE office. They dont seem like the type of company to just drop a title that they've made, especially their pilot. Updates may slow down once their "new project" is released, but most likely wont stop.

p.s. can't wait for the "new project" twitter to be opened up.....it made me actually make a twitter acct....my first Social Networking account ever....
  • dedlightdedlight Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187159Members
    Love this game. preordered this game back in 09. And i plan on donating, but not until they fix the crossfire issue. before the update my radeon 7970 tri-crossfire was doing 200+ fps, now im running 35 fps and my cards are getting super hot. and yes i have the 13.8 beta drivers
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    What I think they should consider... and I KNOW I'm going to get a lot of hate for this... heck I kind of hate myself for thinking it too... but perhaps they could bring in some more revenue by porting it to PS4 and XBONE- WAIT WAIT WAIT! I'm as big of a stuck-up PC gamer snob as anybody, but I'm just thinking in terms of their finances. As much as I love things being PC exclusives, I want them to survive as a company, and I think dealing with console fanboys is a small price to pay.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited August 2013
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    What I think they should consider... and I KNOW I'm going to get a lot of hate for this... heck I kind of hate myself for thinking it too... but perhaps they could bring in some more revenue by porting it to PS4 and XBONE- WAIT WAIT WAIT! I'm as big of a stuck-up PC gamer snob as anybody, but I'm just thinking in terms of their finances. As much as I love things being PC exclusives, I want them to survive as a company, and I think dealing with console fanboys is a small price to pay.

Would only work if the consoles provided mouse + keyboard support, however, they are so hard up for use of their controllers and pretty much all console users use a controller.... it just wouldn't work out for NS2... unless NS2 was bundled with a mouse/keyboard and the console supported it, then the game would also cost $60 because of the included mouse/keyboard.

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2013

Not a chance on current gen consoles and without serious optimisation, not a chance on next gen as the game stands either.

My friend has a gtx titan and the latest patch of NS2 is raping it!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    This game would never work on controllers. You could be an Onos or an alien commander and not much else.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013

The game crashes loads after this new update and fps has gone down 15 :(

I would like them to finish their existing game before moving on to another.

Yeeee... I'm getting 60 FPS playing on a 2 year old laptop that isn't alienware. I really hope they don't spend much more time trying to get the game running on comodore 64s.

On another note, how much was the Onos badge? Like 1k?

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Imbaxlax wrote: »

On another note, how much was the Onos badge? Like 1k?

$333 AFAIK

This discussion has been closed.