co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @WorthyRival what's the run times between the portals and the Command Station like in marine start? In alien start the playrs have to round a corner or two before they enter the actual hive room, and we may need to make sure travel time is somewhat similar.

You can see what alien start looks like in a few of the videos on my youtube channel (see my signature).
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    @Flaterectomy from Command Station to portal.
    Marines:
    Walk 7-9 secs
    Run 6-8 secs

Aliens:
    Skulk 5 secs

Tried my best to keep to the brief of 6 second travel times.

I think you should also keep in mind Marines have ranged weapons so they really only need to travel 6 - 8 seconds to be able to see the hive and aliens have a base speed increase that should be taken into account also.

I feel you though mapping can be a tough balancing act when both teams are different.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited July 2013
    It's been a few days and I've been getting "Error Code: 2" pretty consistently when trying to publish - I've even tried publishing as private or friends only. Any ideas?

Edit: managed to update the map!
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some recent progress of my room. It looks bigger than it actually is. I'm going to detail the actual caves next.
    spaiscorridar9.jpg
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Any chance we might see this on servers soon?

I know it's not finished but we could have a version out that just uses the rooms that are complete.
    @Electr0 Well seeing as one of the rooms missing is the Alien Spawn, I don't see how that is possible. The map is mostly playable as is - except it's really easy to camp alien spawn...

The good news is I believe @Flaterectomy is actually back & out of the hospital! Flat I hope you're doing well - any chance I can get the final version soon?

@WhiteDevil any news on how the rest of the room is going?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @DarkSeraph I'm home indeed! :D I hurriedly got a new build of Caged out now, as the map was gamebreakingly broken due to cysting bugs, but I'll get back to finishing up the hiveroom asap. All I need to do is final detailing and fixing textures. Not a small task, mind you, but I'll try and send you the room this week.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Please make no mistake - I still wish to publish this map ASAP. Now that spacejump sucks bad (due to 250 movement changes) there aren't really any fun maps and I think combat players would have a lot of fun on it!
    Sorry about not cashing in on my promise to finish up the hive room. When I heard Caged had a chance of making it into the NSL if it was textured, my priorities kinda shifted. I'm back in the hospital for a few days now, but with Caged functional and textured I can go back to the Church of Onos once I am home.
    Sorry about not cashing in on my promise to finish up the hive room. When I heard Caged had a chance of making it into the NSL if it was textured, my priorities kinda shifted. I'm back in the hospital for a few days now, but with Caged functional and textured I can go back to the Church of Onos once I am home.

Oh noes, back in the hospistal? Hope everything is doing well. No worries - getting Cadeg into NSL sounds awesome.

• WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My running time from portal to portal takes 15 secs. Is that too much?
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    My running time from portal to portal takes 15 secs. Is that too much?

Seems a bit large? If you want you can post it and I can take a look at how it lines up to other rooms.
    So I have a copy of Flat's room, and will put together the final version once White is done.

Speaking of - did you fix the size of the room? I'm happy to check out an early version.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I also have an updated Marine Spawn room to pass on to you DarkSeraph.
    So @WhiteDevil, any chance you'll have a draft ready for me to walk through to check for size? I'd love to finish this project up - we're so close!
    Looking forward to this but i wonder if one or two mappers couldn't have done this much quicker, it doesn't take that long to do a small room if making use of models.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    lol when you make a map its like asking How long is a piece of string. Mappers generally do not finish stuff untill THEY are happy with it and everyone has different ideas of what constitues "finished"
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I once played this map.

The circus was scary.
    (And no, I'm not afraid of clowns. But the circus was damn scary.)
    I once played this map.

The circus was scary.
    (And no, I'm not afraid of clowns. But the circus was damn scary.)

Haha, cool :-D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yes I did, however I didn't intended to make i t scary :) Maybe it just turn out that way because NS2 engine is made for dark environments.
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Yes I did, however I didn't intended to make i t scary :) Maybe it just turn out that way because NS2 engine is made for dark environments.

It's just so... out of place, somehow. Additionally there's the "funny" music... uahhh. Scary.
    Sorry for my absence everyone - my gaming PC died on me.

At this point I'll add the Hive Room - thanks again for the great work Flat.

@WhiteDevil if you'd like please pass me your file or what you have so far that would be great. If not I'm just going to completely make Room 7 on my own.

It's time for this project to be finished up! I'll give WhiteDevil a couple days to respond before I start working on Room 7. I should have a mostly final version up in a week or so.
    Is it still going to be a gorge strip club?

I want to see a proper party room with lights and music!
    edited October 2013
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Is it still going to be a gorge strip club?

I want to see a proper party room with lights and music!

Nope, while that was Howser's initial plan, he didn't have time to map and instead helped make the sweet portal effects instead!

If you'd like to see one you can start creating one! Unless I hear from @WhiteDevil, but he didn't respond to my last two questions.

Edit: Nevermind! I've heard from WhiteDevil. I'll piece together a template of his room and the final minimap. At that point WhiteDevil can take as long as he needs to get the models done in zbrush and added to the map. In the meantime a playable version will be available and just detail in room 7 will change.
    I'll let you know when it's up!
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Hurry wanna play it, too ^^
    Sorry I've been pretty absent lately. New job is kicking my ass so not as much time for my hobbies. Seraph I got your PM so here is the latest Portals.level for Marine Spawn.
    Added Sounds and atmospherics a few other bits and pieces.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32942522/ns2_co_portals.level
    edited October 2013
    We finally have a beta version of the map posted!

@WorthyRival thanks for the edit, I've added it and hopefully didn't miss anything, but let me know if I did because I copied out of your file instead of using it. If you have a moment can you switch where the two portals send you in marine spawn so it lines up with the minimap? If you don't have time I'll do it soon, no problem!

@WhiteDevil thanks for the work! The room looks great but might be a little small? We'll see what others think.

@Flaterectomy check over what I added and make sure nothing is missing. It looks so good in game!

The following portals need to have the texture redone for the final 2... nope 3 rooms. @Rudy.cz did them originally and I'm not sure how:
    k1
    k2
    l2 - L not i
    h2
    g2
    f1
    j1

Please submit comments & issues that need to be fixed. Almost there - great work everyone!
    I just ran around the map for a bit, and I noticed that the eastern portal in Lava Cave leads to itself instead of Gorge Tunnel C.

I also noticed some missing faces at the bottom of one of the pillars in the Church of Onos:

7Hq7IzN.jpg