Biodome first impressions

sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
It's summit. 4 techs surrounding a center tech point in a strict wagon-wheel or hub-and-spoke design. You have an outer circle connecting all of the res nodes so you either travel on that outer line or through the center, no going around. Here's what I mean:

n3oXuok.jpg

My biggest complaints ATM are too much glass, and the names of the important rooms take too long to say. Usually you want to bring it down to one syllable, like "flight" "pipe" "comp" "cross" or "sub". That's not always the case but it's definitely preferable. Many of the names in Biodome can't be broken down that simply. The glass issue just comes down to being able to reliably tell whether or not you have a clear line of fire, the simple fix is to discontinue use of windex and dirty up the glass a bit.

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    I agree on the glass. Aliens mostly move on surfaces that are completely invisible, which is just poor design. You see a patch of grass, but you don't move through the grass, you move above it on an invisible surface. Terrible for enemy movement prediction.

What comes next, a glass maze?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    also, I would like to see maps that prioritize performance over pretties. it looks nice, but vent access to south appears nonexistent.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    There's more to a map than the topdown shape, otherwise people would be complaining that Summit is the same 4 circle segments stitched together.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Not only the shape, but also the names. How many observations, analysises, hydros and accesses do we have?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2013
    Desther wrote: »
    There's more to a map than the topdown shape, otherwise people would be complaining that Summit is the same 4 circle segments stitched together.

I'm more referring to overall routing. In many cases on the map, if you want to get from A to B you must pass through a particular hallway or base. If one team holds hub then the only way for the other team to get to their backline RTs is to go straight through their bases. The result is a concentrated front line wherever two bases meet at an RT. Most of the other maps don't pan out that way, usually because you can go around the RT without having to pass through an enemy base.

It's not really a bad design, even if I don't particularly like it, it's just that I think (remember, first impressions here) it will result in similar overall gameplay flow to a map we've had for ages.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Huge performance loss on that map for me.Very slugglish.(I am using a quite old computer, but other maps are fine for me)

Might be all the foliage.(or grenade spam in end game is starting to screw me over)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Descent is also Summit and still people don't want to play it for no good reason.
    edited August 2013
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Descent is also Summit and still people don't want to play it for no good reason.

Actually it's not, I'll get a picture up shortly but you can go around hydro on both the left and right sides.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    ns2_summbioscent

This is green, descent was blue, summit is grey. It's completely different.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Triad (custommap) is also summit. (same layout)

"Oh god, triad. Lets vote for summit"
    Cant count how often i saw this.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Artistically the map is fucking amazing, such a good job.

Gameplay wise? No idea, lets play it for 2-3 months then I will have an opinion on it.

Also.. nothing wrong with summit. Summit has the best map layout of all the maps
    edited August 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Bicsum wrote: »

Actually it's not, I'll get a picture up shortly but you can go around hydro on both the left and right sides.

The picture I promised:

T5zM2cC.jpg

On the left you see the routes that do NOT exist in summit/biodome. Those allow you to reach bases and RTs in the back without passing directly through Hydro if it is controlled by the enemy. The fact that hydro also allows two separate routes to Energy Flow is also important.
    Artistically the map is fucking amazing, such a good job.

Gameplay wise? No idea, lets play it for 2-3 months then I will have an opinion on it.

Also.. nothing wrong with summit. Summit has the best map layout of all the maps

Nothing wrong with liking summit. I don't, but that's just my opinion and it's largely because I enjoy backdooring in larger pubs.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited August 2013
    biodome's glass needs to stop looking like empty space

so many invisible walls

bullets hitting windows instead of skulks

game design > artwork, aesthetics, random framerate loss from weird effects

hope UWE realizes this one day
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love these cleaner textured maps. It really helps to actually track players in such a fast paced game.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Reception is an obvious arc hive, there's no cover at all in it either. Agri labs res node is a copy paste job from an NS 1 map just outside a marine spawn, entire map feels like a fight for space station 420.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The lack of any vents in the south section remind me of Veil North:
    ns2_map_veil.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Xao wrote: »
    Reception is an obvious arc hive, there's no cover at all in it either. Agri labs res node is a copy paste job from an NS 1 map just outside a marine spawn, entire map feels like a fight for space station 420.
    The lack of any vents in the south section remind me of Veil North:
    ns2_map_veil.jpg

Marine-only random start ;)
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    biodome is incredibly pretty
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Loke wrote: »

What you see there is nanites. Also, superfluid.

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Loke wrote: »

And my response will include this text so it is not called as image spam.

it-is-known-sml.jpg
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I had the same moment playing Biodome for the first time as I did when I first played NS2. That and I turned my graphics back up from 'comp' settings to 'immersion' settings. This map is a contender for the most aesthetically pleasing and striking map I have seen in any video game. Massive props.

Regarding the flow and balance, lets play it a bit first, but it already felt like it flowed a little bit differently than Summit. It felt a lot more multi leveled and more of the tight passages into grander rooms rather than Summit's wider passages into slightly less epic spaces.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    I like the water dripping through the ceiling, it gives the impression of a pretty beat TSF cosmic shack. You know, those rusty extra-terrestrial bungalows where ol' vacuum seeps through the cracks in the walls, floors are covered with cosmic dust and the beds are crawling with space bugs.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This map is so beautiful that I seriously started tearing up when I walked into some of the rooms. Holy shit man. I've never seen anything like this.
  • KillQuestKillQuest Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187180Members
    biz wrote: »
    biodome's glass needs to stop looking like empty space

so many invisible walls

bullets hitting windows instead of skulks

game design > artwork, aesthetics, random framerate loss from weird effects

hope UWE realizes this one day

i can see the windows quite good, i play it maxed out and i never had trouble with shooting windows.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Found a problem:

Culling issue in condensators that should be a quick fix:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173941171

Otherwise, amazing looking map. Excited to get to play it.

edit: removed one as a restart fixed it.

• AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It looks great!
    With all settings maxed...
    Wich noone is gonna be able to play with...

Actually there are rooms where I go down to 70 fps with all settings on low. On an empty testserver, with nothing built and no fights going on.
    Before 252 I got like 150-200 fps in most rooms on empty servers, going down to a minimum of 70 fps in the endgame.
    How will I be able to fight in Biodome???