Build 252 is Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Lucas2616Lucas2616 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185714Members
    amoral wrote: »
    skulk movement is tweaked again
    No it wasn't
    simba wrote: »
    But that combined with new alien movement makes for frustrating gameplay. I am getting tired of relearning movement every 3 months :)
    Fade was the only alien that had any kind of movement tweaks done to it this patch.

maybe not overtly, but I stick to every damn surface as a skulk, and my glancing wall jumps have to be even more glancing or I mess up my momentum. either some additional variables are at play, or you've got some bugs, but it is most definitely not the same as prepatch. someone said something about the Linux reconciliation messing with all movement in general.

That's a bug, the devs have fixed it for B253.
    Cory wrote:
    Regarding the Skulk change, yes, I was wrong that there was nothing changed, as we did discover a bug that has since been fixed, but I meant to convey that nothing INTENTIONALLY was changed with Skulk movement.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    I am not even going to touch how amateur UWE has looked in the past year. I really do think Cory is a talented artist, and that their guys have programming talent. However, just because you are working super hard doesn't directly translate into results. I could constantly be going 100mph, but if I change direction 7 different times, I may only end up slightly further from where I started.

I don't know if its cause Charlie no longer oversees the design development of NS2, but it just feels like you guys go into a meeting, throw ideas against a wall, and hope something sticks. Adding a new feature to fix any underlying problem while not understanding the root cause seems like awful game design/management to me.

On a side note, I still love how phasegates still make the bile bomb noise sometimes. I think we should be allowed to call that bug a "feature" by now.

i always assumed that was a local problem, i've started to ignore the sound of bile when going through phase gates... which is probably not a good adaptation to have.

Bad news: That bug is an old and difficult one to fix but it did actually get worse in 252. Good news: It's fixed in 253.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    incidentally, any news on fixing this mouse lag that literally everyone is complaining about?

i'm not sure how i'm supposed to play skulks now,

i can't see anything, and even if i see it, the stupid mouse doesn't move where i want it to. yay.

let me submit this as a ticket.

Game: Broken, please fix. in it's entirety. just fix everything, Every. thing. is. broken.

I'm not entirely sure it wouldn't just be simpler to compile a list of things that aren't broken...
    firing your gun, not borked
    dropping medpacks, not borked
    sprinting, not borked
    reloading, not borked
    dropping ammo, not borked

bellyslide not borked...

i think that's it... everything that has to do with my aiming, or moving, or interacting in some way with another player... broken in some fashion.

Yes, this makes me happy.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    incidentally, any news on fixing this mouse lag that literally everyone is complaining about?
    Pretty sure andi already posted that he found a bug there, but yes, that's fixed. Bear in mind that when I say "fixed" the process of pushing a patch to steam still has the capacity to cause the sun to supernova or raise C'thulu from endless slumber, so honestly anything is possible.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Pretty sure andi already posted that he found a bug there, but yes, that's fixed.

:) either you have no idea what i'm talking about, or you're talking about another thread.

sewlek found a bug in the skulk movement code, which i'm assuming caused you to stick like glue to anything you touched, and start jumping a bit slower.

squeals like pig reiterated that the issue with that had been found. but nothing more

i'm complaining about the noticeable mouse lag. Which as far as i'm concerned, makes marines and aliens both unplayable.
    edited August 2013
    Pretty sure andi already posted that he found a bug there, but yes, that's fixed.

:) either you have no idea what i'm talking about, or you're talking about another thread.

sewlek found a bug in the skulk movement code, which i'm assuming caused you to stick like glue to anything you touched, and start jumping a bit slower.

squeals like pig reiterated that the issue with that had been found. but nothing more

i'm complaining about the noticeable mouse lag. Which as far as i'm concerned, makes marines and aliens both unplayable.

Brain fart, my bad. Either way mouse lag should be getting worked on. Also working on some stuttering stuff right now. Need sleep. Badly.
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    this patch has snuffed out the little bit of goodness and light i had left in my life. i live in a world of pain and shit.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Game: Broken, please fix. in it's entirety. just fix everything, Every. thing. is. broken. .
    Now just imagine it 20 times more broken than that and you only begin to get a taste of what playtesters get to play with all day!

Regarding the mouse lag, Max is on the case!
    (NS2 uses SDL now for input handling, the same that TF2 uses.. unfortunately it doesn't support raw input, but who knows if thats the actual culprit..)
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    f button = instagram sepia mode
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    DeskLamp wrote: »
    I think UWE releasing B252 was a stroke of genius. Imagine the amount of complaints they would be getting if this stuff came out on Reinforced.

The extent to which some of the community members have reacted to changes borders on abusive.

I'm not saying I agree with all the changes (particularly alien vision, which may have needed some improvement but I think requires a bit more work; and the tech tree limitations to gorge abilities which requires a significant investment in res and bio to max out), however I think people should keep a cooler head. It's been, what, 2 days at best?

At least now they can address some of the more extreme issues which some community members have super-over-reacted to, and others have made valid points towards, so we can enjoy the really great features which will be fleshed out in Reinforced.

Keep going UWE, I hope you get a good rest when Reinforced is done!

I'm just wondering if they will get it fixed in time (Either the server performance or the odd stuttering or whatever it is). Maybe they have a good idea of how to fix but needed more data from the rest of the community to ensure the content patch goes smoothly when they announce it. Gonna be long nights for the devs.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @YMICrazy (god i always love reading that name)
    Yea it *looks like* the server performance issue was tied to exactly 16+ players joining or disconnecting to the server. Not 15. Not 14.. 16 and anything after.
    Also, the stuttering (again) *looks like* its been resolved for dx9 rendering.

These problems are exactly why we needed to release this build when we did (speaking about the renderer, not the content/features.. which were unfortunately inseparable)
    :)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Yea it *looks like* the server performance issue was tied to exactly 16+ players joining or disconnecting to the server. Not 15. Not 14.. 16 and anything after.

These problems are exactly why we needed to release this build when we did (speaking about the renderer, not the content/features.. which were unfortunately inseparable)
    inb4 UWE hates high-player servers and is passive aggressive about it
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Game: Broken, please fix. in it's entirety. just fix everything, Every. thing. is. broken. .
    Now just imagine it 20 times more broken than that and you only begin to get a taste of what playtesters get to play with all day!

Regarding the mouse lag, Max is on the case!
    (NS2 uses SDL now for input handling, the same that TF2 uses.. unfortunately it doesn't support raw input, but who knows if thats the actual culprit..)

TF2 does have raw mouse input though, and is still more responsive with it turned off, which of course it should never ever be either way.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Look what google gave me for searching SDL: http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/soaps-telenovelas/sturm-der-liebe/index.html uargh
    I hope the next patch fixes the mouselag.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    [Edit - I advise you to cool off, take a few days off from playing the game, and maybe come back after the next patch has gone out. You are clearly getting too worked up over a video game and I am worried that you are going to have a stroke. We at UWE care about your health. ]

--Cory
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members

Not relevant. You opted to be a playtester, they bought a game expecting a finished product.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    wulf wrote: »

Not relevant. You opted to be a playtester, they bought a game expecting a finished product.

Exactly... last I checked I don't have a NS2 Playtester badge next to my name anymore. Nor is the game in beta, so please tell the devs to stop treating us like one.
    @wulf I was not speaking on the matter of you having to deal with the released bugs?? Just merely drawing a picture for you. But ... oooook.

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited August 2013

Ah I see. I guess better to see what issues arise now and fix them prior to when the content patch releases since you could have potential new players experiencing serious issues. When build 238 went live it was messy where many got a huge performance decreases only to be hot fixed a few days later. Because of 238 I just get the feeling that these bugs would have appeared either way so at least this way it does less damage. Since UWE poured a lot of effort/resources into this patch it makes sense to release it before than to wait and see what nasty bugs appear and watch everything go up in flames anyways. I sort of expected issues when I heard DX11/OpenGL and Linux were coming since they would have to make a lot of changes to make it work. The tradeoff is though we get a few game breaking bugs atm, if most of the issues are fixed before the release, we have a better possibility of retaining more players.
    edited August 2013
    253 is live by the way. Thought you might want to know. Hugh is asleep but announcements to follow. I'm going to go sleep for a week now.
  • bananenbaerbananenbaer Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187166Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    253 is live by the way. Thought you might want to know. Hugh is asleep but announcements to follow. I'm going to go sleep for a week now.

You guys are awesome. You deserve more than being flamed and mocked by people who aren't happy about some small things... These things always need time!
    Your motivation for this game seems to be never ending, keep it up guys! :)
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    OMG I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!!
    I TRIED THE FEMALE MARINE ON TRAINING MODE AND IM SUPER EXCITED TO PLAY FOR THE UPDATE
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

<33333333
    xoxo
  • turtalturtal Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183035Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Using the Beta release on steam has been tried in the past, and just does not bring in enough people playing on the beta version, to give us adequate testing, so we just had to go with a full release here.

I applied for the beta test and haven't recieved a reply. I'm trying to be understanding but honestly, that fact changed the way I look at you guys. It's not a personal thing, don't get me wrong but you're claiming that you haven't got enough beta testers, well then maybe you should've started with the ones who applied. Ignoring that lot then doing a public beta test on one day without a warning is not the way to go. So, I'm just gonna wait until it's fixed.

I've told this before and I'm gonna say it again. You want better sale numbers? Instead of adding new content, fix the engine. I can't reccomend the game to my friends because I know it won't run on their laptop or 3 year old computer. The game is so unnecessarily demanding. I'm seeing these people streaming and wondering, what the fuck are they using? 2 i7 cpu's? 3 way SLI? I can't even run the game on FullHD @ everything off with a 560Ti. If I want to play on a 18+p server, I have to lower the res to 1280x720.

and I've just finished last light. full hd, high settings @ 50fps minimum. (specs)

optimize it.

edit: added specs.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The new draw damage numbers are kind of annoying. Instead of popping up on my screen they pop up on the object I hit This makes it really hard to tell how much damage I've done to someone when I'm playing aliens as I'm usually speeding all around the place and the numbers might be behind me, or 90 degrees off my screen.

Hasn't this always been the case?

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2013
    Why are servers hosting Biodome already?

Why state a release date of 30th then release it a day early? lmao

Can someone please update the http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Dedicated_Server page with the new Linux server setup instructions?

Many thanks
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Here a rough rundown of things I could find by comparing the Lua files:........
    Thanks for doing this :)

• phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Why are servers hosting Biodome already?

Why state a release date of 30th then release it a day early? lmao

They're trying their best to please the community - if you'd rather have it tomorrow instead, don't run Steam ;-p
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    wulf wrote: »

Yeah, about that... you've heard of Aliens: Colonial Marines, right ? How about Duke Nukem: Forever ?

Even big developers with megabucks can make mistakes.