New Alien Vision

Comments

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    CD121 wrote: »
    It's not meant to be used in full lighting, folks. Just like night-vision goggles, when it's used in light the enhancement is too much, and hence, makes it too bright to see clearly.

New alien vision is supposed to be used IN THE DARK.

You mean those 5 seconds when lights go off?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    delta78 wrote: »
    I was not a fan of the original cause it made the game ugly. The new one should be used only when there is a black-out, which is pretty cool.

uma7PYZ.jpg

What is it? I've stared at it cross-eyed for a few mins and I still don't see the image.

Oh.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    They did it because they're too lazy/unable to make glass visible with the old alien vision.
    oh god that's so hilarious to me right now
    I was not a fan of the original cause it made the game ugly. The new one should be used only when there is a black-out, which is pretty cool.
    uma7PYZ.jpg

Also, alien vision does this for me from time to time:
    E55D5D0E4BA597487A9EBA027FF74B781599096E
    Are you using OpenGL by chance?

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    peregrinus wrote: »

uma7PYZ.jpg

What is it? I've stared at it cross-eyed for a few mins and I still don't see the image.

Oh.

i think i'm looking at pipeline?
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    After playing, I don't see where I would ever use Alien vision ever again.... the normal improved vision works for everything.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    1.) .. the orange alien chat text
    2.) .. the orange sight ellipses for parasited marines / buildings
    3.) .. the completely orange AV ... you can't see 1 & 2 there .. at all !!!

please re-think about colour scheme ... change colour of 1'st two or AV ... begging please change it, to make sense...
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just tried alien vision mode...

The brightness is too drastic when going between regular and alien vision mode.

I have sensitive eyes and in the 10 or so minutes of playing with the aliens, I have developed some intense eye strain/eye pain.

No other game causes this to happen for me.

This is kind of bad because NS2 is my favorite game (at 560 hours played already) and I won't be able to play as alien anymore if this vision mode isn't fixed.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    amoral wrote: »

I don't understand how this change, of the many crappy changes, got through the play testers without people rioting.
    Oh there was passionate words tossed about, you can be sure of that. ;-)
    ZycaR wrote: »
    1.) .. the orange alien chat text
    2.) .. the orange sight ellipses for parasited marines / buildings
    3.) .. the completely orange AV ... you can't see 1 & 2 there .. at all !!!

please re-think about colour scheme ... change colour of 1'st two or AV ... begging please change it, to make sense...
    They would if they could.. Different colors is surprisingly a large technical hurdle being that it's an engine limitation. It may be changed in the future, who knows. But yeah that was everyone's consensus as well.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I played a round or 10 on the Yo clan server this afternoon.
    Many times, we Aliens got slaughtered within 5mins, and before we knew it, the marines were in our base - killing our remaining eggs, game over.
    All because Aliens needed to adept to the new AV, that was obvious.
    But after the 6th round or so, we did better, and even completed (and won!) a game that lasted more than half an hour. :P
    It seemed once we did get to bring higher lifeforms to the field (and important upgrades for our gorges), the AV became less of an annoyance.

With 1 exception - Skulks.
    I do know how to make (nearly) every bite hit, and have a chance against any crazy jumping marine.
    But this was just plain awful...I guess I had about 2 hits in 10 bites, that's how bad I was.

Before, I used AV primarily in close-combat, and switched it on as my attack started.
    There was no reason not to use it, in order to keep track of my target.
    And that's ok, because marines have laserguns and a crosshair, plus the scan-icons on their hud, to keep track of me.
    (And I used it to find hidden marines in large dark rooms...another obvious use, which is why I like the new default AV (OFF), as it just looks nicer.)

But it really sucks to track Marines in CQC....the contrast from their outlines is not enough, and is a far to drastic change to the old AV.
    Hence why Aliens are so vunerable now, in the 1st 5mins.
    Add to that all the crazy jumps a marine can perform, and the confusion grows.
    Really felt like I was a f***ing noob again XD
    I tried to attack with AV-ON instead, but that was as if I was trying to fight inside a lava lake lol....part of the lava moved, guess that was a marine...but when I completed the guessing-part, I was already dead.

So initially, I came here to complain.
    But now I've read that skulk-movement is bugged, which can explain part of my troubles this afternoon.
    Why wait with a fix for this untill Friday?
    If it's known, I guess a hotfix is in place.
    If UWE wants to prepare (and public-test) the game for Reinforcement, than every bug less makes the 2 remaining days more valuable.
    Certainly with a bug that can be potentially gamebreaking.
    And probably less frustrating for the players, because now you have a pissed-off community - waiting for Friday :-w
    Sortof.

So I would like a hotfix for the Skulks.

Plus a proposal to make Huze's AV-mod official, for the time being...see how well it plays and stuff.
    While UWE continues to work on the current AV with the testers, maybe try to combine the best of both visions?
    I pointed to that mod many months ago, and I think I remember IronHorse giving it an agree/awesome, so I started hoping for it to appear in NS2 in time.
    We have 1st half of it, looks neat, but the 2nd half is overdone right now.

• VicentoVicento Join Date: 2007-04-21 Member: 60683Members
    This new one can be nice if aliens were able to see something more interesting than yellow/orange all over the screen.....i mean why the "light" can be darker" and the marine lighter...we need contrast...

a good idea for marine to oppose the aliens vison (the old one because i don't like the new one..) should be an effect like we can notice to the tactical flashlight use on BF3 with the big light on exo. and pliz bring back the splash of the bile bomb.....stop always nerf aliens and bring stuff that greatly help noob marine.
  • mortmannmortmann Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185328Members
    I hate the new normal mode and the new alien vision.
    I think the normal mode make the game uglier than the old alien vision.

But i COULD concider to adapte the new vision IF they make the time between lights out and emergency lights longer. MAybe 5 min or somthing like that. Now is it like 5 seconds? In that time the new vision is nearly useless.

Give the player the choice what type of vision they wont. (If the change was because ugly/or glass invisble!)
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mortmann wrote: »
    I hate the new normal mode and the new alien vision.
    I think the normal mode make the game uglier than the old alien vision.

But i COULD concider to adapte the new vision IF they make the time between lights out and emergency lights longer. MAybe 5 min or somthing like that. Now is it like 5 seconds? In that time the new vision is nearly useless.

Give the player the choice what type of vision they wont. (If the change was because ugly/or glass invisble!)

I feel like a longer blackout would be awesome... 5 minutes is a little excessive but even 30 seconds to a minute of pitch black could be awesome. Also I think emergency lighting should be the standard "unpowered" room... especially now that building a power node is lighting fast.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Marines turn on flashlights when it's dark, Alien's should play under those even rules.

lol the marines can have flashlight on the entire game, why not let aliens have their vision on? if its so important that aliens DONT press F when they spawn and run around with it ON by default
    ...then why not put the original green vision on a cool down time of 30 or even 60 seconds for thoose critical moments instead of making it so horrendous to look at that you cannot stand it for more than 5 seconds.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow. Never thought UE would do a total crap decision..

Ive always hated that Aliens by default have same vision as humans so it made it kooler and more immersive to use the AV. But now? I wont even bother to play ns2 as alien.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tykjen wrote: »
    Wow. Never thought UE would do a total crap decision..

Ive always hated that Aliens by default have same vision as humans so it made it kooler and more immersive to use the AV. But now? I wont even bother to play ns2 as alien.
    Calm down :p. There are plenty of alien vision mods to choose from on ns2 workshop.

• xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    I have not seen one comment on this yet, but when I first played aliens and used alien vision for the first time, I thought the transition where the dark layer glides across the scene was amazing as I've never seen it in any other game, I'd love to see that patched back in in some way.

I'm +1 for a revert on the alien vision, simply because I enjoy being able to see the game without any outlines around objects and having the option to turn it on at my own free will. Even better would be to make it a optional between the old and new AV and have the best of both worlds. (I mean, if looking directly into the sun, aka the new AV is the best in any ones world...)

RadimaX wrote: »
    Marines turn on flashlights when it's dark, Alien's should play under those even rules.

Make the flashlight brighter with each weapons upgrade, then tell the marines to enjoy and shut up, but that's just me.

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I, for one, like the change. The default mode is a good combination of the former alien vision and the actual level gfx - much better than the original green/orange travesty. The alternate mode is only marginally useful, but looks much better still (I prefer the default mode unless in complete darkness).

People will bitch about every change. Please keep it!
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    normal vision with hivesight is better than the green hell. Just dont use the orange hell
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    If hardly anyone wants it how is right to keep it when it goes against the majority's wishes?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Feels like I'm looking through the eye of sauron and not in a good way
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Electr0 wrote: »
    If hardly anyone wants it how is right to keep it when it goes against the majority's wishes?

because how can you appreciate teh biodomez with the old one? duh!
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the new direction of AV, it fits much more with the rest of the aesthetics of the game. I agree that having AV on needs to be toned down a bit so it's, but I like the idea of having one vision mode that's only useful in the dark and one vision mode that's only useful in the light.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2013

lol the marines can have flashlight on the entire game, why not let aliens have their vision on? if its so important that aliens DONT press F when they spawn and run around with it ON by default
    ...then why not put the original green vision on a cool down time of 30 or even 60 seconds for thoose critical moments instead of making it so horrendous to look at that you cannot stand it for more than 5 seconds.

Using the flashlight reveals your position around corners. That is a pretty tangible downside. I mean, really, you've never seen someone get told to turn their flashlight off in a game before?

In any case AV will likely see plenty of tweaking after release as it's been a contentious issue trying to figure out exactly how to get it right internally. Remember: 252 is not Reinforced. Lots of stuff is broken or not final. Most of the new features were not even originally going to be in 252 (it was just going to be the rendering stuff) but that didn't work out so here it is. For the time being, if you hate FantaVision just don't push F. I mean, seriously guys, all you have to do is not do something.
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    I've been lurking on the forums for the last 8 months but feel compelled to sign up today - I HATE the new alien vision. It's useless. Bring back the old one.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Narfwak wrote: »

Using the flashlight reveals your position around corners. That is a pretty tangible downside. I mean, really, you've never seen someone get told to turn their flashlight off in a game before?

In any case AV will likely see plenty of tweaking after release as it's been a contentious issue trying to figure out exactly how to get it right internally. Remember: 252 is not Reinforced. Lots of stuff is broken or not final. Most of the new features were not even originally going to be in 252 (it was just going to be the rendering stuff) but that didn't work out so here it is. For the time being, if you hate FantaVision just don't push F. I mean, seriously guys, all you have to do is not do something.

So what do I do to get the old one back? I can't not press F and get my old alien vision back. You know. The one that we've been using for over 2 years now?

Also, the only time you'd ever need to be worried about flashlight giving away your position is if you're crouchwalking or trying to hide... you can hear footsteps you know ;)
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »

So what do I do to get the old one back? I can't not press F and get my old alien vision back. You know. The one that we've been using for over 2 years now?

Also, the only time you'd ever need to be worried about flashlight giving away your position is if you're crouchwalking or trying to hide... you can hear footsteps you know ;)

not even 10 minutes ago I was playing as a fade, saw a marine flashlight about to turn a corner in summit and started to go after it, then saw a second and third flashlight around the corner and rethought my strategy. I think giving away a potential ambush is a pretty good downside.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I never used alien vision.

Now I will never use alien vision.

I win.
  • AdolfinAdolfin Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183958Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I loved the smooth feeling of playing with the old AV on.
    It almost gave me a hard on, seriously!

I rarely rant about changes as one has learned to adapt but this one friggin sucks!

For me its not about AV being OP, you could have found another way to deal with that. It was just so, I dont know. Smooth..
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    the answer is to give marines the same tool

instead of nerfing alien fun and claiming balance victories

bright-skins have always been the answer
    why does NS2 thing it's special?
    Give old alien vision back. Put back in motion tracking if it's that much of a balance issue. Or at least admit this change happened because of biodome.