co_courtyard Alpha 1.02

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited November 2013 in Mapping
Originated here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131511/combat-map-suggestion-courtyard
(Now a thread for me to ask silly questions about the editor obsolete)

Basically, I want to make a combat map that stresses the awesome "new" courtyard from docking. I don't know a lot about mapping (actually nothing :D), but I will give it a try.

I don't plan to do a lot of greyboxing, as I merely "remix" parts of docking. Or at least, I try.

============================================

RELEASED
Current Version: Alpha 1.02
Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181455701 (This is NOT the current workshop link. Search for "co_courtyard", released by HOWSER. My workshop bitches around. I will update this someday)

Changelogs

Internal build Alpha 1.02 (November 12, 2013)

Changelog:
- Fixed collision in ReadyRoom
- Boxes between southern/central not floating anymore (could not reproduce collision anomaly, btw)
- Moved CC (Pic 1)

The last one is supposed to get marines into combat quicker. I'm not sure how/whether to address vent gorging. This leaves me with a crazy long LoS (ca 60 metres) (Pic 2), which will be addressed next, in 1.02b.
bbb25ba081c0770552edd358aa48a1.bmp

6bf0abd7d2c891aefebe34e5d8a397.bmp[/quote]

Older Changelog
Goes back to Prealpha 1.04 and gives you a good idea of how this map was created. If you want a more in-depth experience, I suggest reading the whole thread.
Alpha 1.01 (October 20, 2013)

Added crates for shorter LoS
Messed with Occlusion Geometry

I can't get my Occlusion Geometry working correctly; If someone feels the urge to help me, please contact me!

edit: Aaaaaannd I fucked up with the workshop.

Alpha 1.00 (September 26, 2013)

Release!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181455701 (note from 201311-12: dated)

Prealpha 1.05 (September 21, 2013)

Added another vent.
Worked on the line of sight in Terminal in courtyard:
- Added crates in Terminal
- Added crates in courtyard, added ladders and removed bridge to alter flow of court

I fear jetpackers and maybe lerks are going to rule this map. Well, let's see. I feel like I need a professional opinion now, like @Howser 's or @Loki 's

:D

Download it here!

Prealpha 1.04 (September 20, 2013)

This is kinda big one.
Played around with some vents.

Added Collision Geometry (to cap courtyard).
Added Occlusion Geometry. This boosted performance quite a bit - my computer doesn't sound like it's dying anymore when I load the map. It's still a bit more laggy than the original docking, though. I will have to look how Occlusion Geometry is used there.
Added Lights to custom parts of the map (vents, southern access).

Still left to do:
Add another (easier) route for aliens into marine spawn.
Obstruct the most obvious line of sights.

After that I think it's time to do some testing to see how it works.

Layout (a bit dated, update coming)

07mCABV.png

Even more dated stuff
Yes, I know, U-turn of doom in the southeast, but I will keep it at that for now. (Also, there is a small vent from Junction to Terminal now.)

Here's a diagram of how many seconds it takes a spawned marine running with an axe to get from the techpoint to where he can shoot anywhere in courtyard.
Approximately.

QcLdqSn.png

Introducing version numbering
This is version Prealpha 1.0 because, well, gotta start somewhere. In Prealpha I actually build the map. It will probably be not published in the workshop, but if it is, don't expect a working map.
In the Alpha I will only care about gameplay relevant features of the map. You are free to run it on your server and provide feedback (That is, if you can get it running).
When the gameplay is fleshed out (and balanced), Beta will follow, in which I will care about the looks. Small gameplay changes may occurr. You may then unleash it to the public.
The final version is, well, final. I will try to keep it updated, but I can't tell for sure.
The numbers themselves will proceed at my desire.
This is my version numbering and I have proclaimed it.

Details (Screenshots)

Central <-> Locker
yMneAHb.jpg

GJbjxGC.jpg

LCxqJUS.jpg

Central - new doorway due to flipped room
My first - and best - doorway so far.

lCCP26D.jpg

R27VHip.jpg

jQRLG3D.jpg

Locker <-> Back Alley
This short hallway still needs some walls [fixed now]

WwaLOgP.jpg

View from Back Alley to Locker

aLKKpdy.jpg

And vice versa

RoVq718.jpg

Onos Bar <-> Maintenance Access

29CcIsR.jpg

2LLKLV9.jpg

Features to be implemented next
- get occlusion geometry running properly
- get the mod working properly

Outdated original post
Here is what I thought could work as basic layout for the map:

mwiNCUA.png

Note that it's not proportional. I didn't check the proportions yet for most parts.

Let's have a look.
Locker and Terminal as Alien/Marine spawn. Locker keeps the original connection to courtyard. In the southern part, I'd add a "breakthrough" point (like in Maint/Control (behind the pillar)/veil RR alien door) to a flipped central access (the entrance to the vent in the original docking would be on the opposite side of the breakthrough).
The former landing pad exit of Terminal now leads to central, while the other exits lead to the junction-entrance of courtyard (the easter one) and a flipped maintenance. These exits need obstructions to shorten the line of sight (edit: Just took a look at the proportions. Junction probably should be simplified to a stairway, and connected to the north-western exit via an U-turn).
In this picture, the Locker-Courtyard connection looks a lot longer than the Terminal-Courtyard connection; this would have to be balanced, obviously.
Also note that there would have to be some kind of obstruction in the central access hallway south of courtyard (crates or something).
The orange line is a vent. I'd also add a vent from the ceiling of locker to some point high in courtyard (for lerks and skulks).

Courtyard itself is kind of a problem. The general line of sight is very long. One has to place a lot of crates/stuff in there, to equal this out for aliens (Same goes for Terminal, but here obstructions are easier to place). There is a bridge leading from the junction-entrance to the locker entrance directly, probably this should be removed/made unpassable to not allow marines easy access to the hive room. This would force marines along one route, at the maintenance side of courtyard; to open up possibilities, I think it would be viable to destroy the railing at the marine entrance to courtyard and add a new way to climb up in the south-west part.
edit: The northern/southern entrances are not obstructed. I just forgot to remove the lines in the picture.

Note: Add more vents.
Aesthetical note: Locker should be really dark (so marines use there flashlights), with some small floodlights (see the gap) to illuminate the room.

How far am I?
I watched some tutorials and played around in the editor. So far I managed to free the central access room and flip it, but I fail at reattaching it to the rest of the map.
Oh, and I created a nice forum post about all this :)

What do you think?

I will keep this updated daily - or, well, when I release updates - for anyone who is interested (if such a person exists :D).
Comments appreciated.

Comments

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Keep it up! It's nice to see someone trying to achieve their own suggestion for once. Just keep chipping away at the map and I'm sure the SCC guys who helped you in the other thread will test the map on their server when the first working version is ready and offer you feedback. :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Firstly, I'll echo Forlorn and say it is nice to see an ideas guy turn into somebody willing to try. And of course we will help where we can and will happily throw the map up on our server for a test which you are welcome to attend and ask questions etc.

In general I'd say the layout looks fairly solid, though testing always reveals issues that you don't anticipate. You may wish to reconsider that u-bend from lockers to courtyard, I find 180 turns like that feel wrong during play and can cause some player disorientation.

My advice is to cut the pieces from docking you want and then stitch them together with standard, grey geo and get it tested asap. It isn't worth spending time on connecting it with pretty stuff when you may well have to rejig the whole setup if something proves to be wrong with the layout.

Good luck with it, and hope to be testing co_courtyard soon.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    That's what I planned to do! I will start asap (Probably today).
    Thank you for your support!
    *Update*

Progress:

I deleted the parts of the map I don't need and now rearrange the parts.
    Looks like Terminal is going to fit fine, Central as well; Not yet sure about maintenance.

I connected Terminal and Central with some veeeeeery basic (and ugly) geometry.

Problems I have had so far:
    It's quite hard to place a mirrored part of the map so the entrances fit like before. Because a lot of the map is off grid I can't use the snap to grid; Also, snap to grid often doesn't behave the way I want it to (it's all a bit tedious). The fact that I'm working on a low-spec laptop isn't helping, either.
    Also, connecting parts with geometry isn't as easy as it could be with a better interface :)
    *Update*

I'm back home, so I can continue working on this.
    Okay. I did it. I finished my first doorway.

It's a lot of patchwork. Like, all of it. Would've been a lot easier to build it from scratch, and not into an existing map...

But it looks nice.
    lCCP26D.jpg

R27VHip.jpg

jQRLG3D.jpg

Feels so good having this done now, although it's nothing.
    Still a long way to go.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Good to see you're sticking with it! Not so hard 'ey?! Just takes a little time.
    you might have an easier time working on a new file by copying (ctrl+c) and pasting (ctrl+v) the bits you need from the original .level file into a 'new' .level file. that way you wont have as much slow down and clutter with layers.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I find setting little goals to accomplish for each session with your map helps alot. So for example, a doorway in one session, block out and position a corridor for the next etc.

Keep going, as you use the editor and its tools more, you will get fast and more adept with them, and before you know it, you'll have the basics in place for a test. :)
    Created very short hallway between Locker and Central (Similar to Maint/Ball).
    Connecting Maint/Locker via Onos Bar + Back Alley currently.
    I fear the map might become to big; will have to see how it works.

And there's always 32 servers :D
    edited September 2013
    Connected the repositioned back alley with locker. Screenshots incoming.

edit: Edited original post.
    Added the walls in the hallway between locker and back alley.

First steps with vents.
    edited September 2013
    Fixed vents not being displayed orange on the map.
    Moved Terminal. Not connected yet to the rest of the map.

I'm confident I can get it running until the end of next week. Anyone willing to host it?
    *glances @Howser * do you guys also test combat maps?

edit: Edited original post.

edit2: An idea just struck me. Maybe I will add some height difference in the WIP labeled part.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    we did... I've been told reinforced has broken combat mode. That's just word of mouth though, so i could be wrong. I'll have to try it tomorrow.
    AFAIK it isn't... I'm pretty sure I played combat recently.
    edited September 2013
    Terminal is utterly incompatible to Strand. Connected it anway. It's not gonna win any beauty contests... but isn't supposed to.

Connected Terminal and Central with a random hallway. Tried to add at least some details, but it's sheer impossible working off grid. I'm gonna slap some props on it later.

I had an idea for a proper ns2 map (ns2_skywatch, maybe). I will explore it a bit more in my mind before doing anything at the computer, though.
    (Read: I will do it tomorrow during my math class.)

edit: Added the first Locations.
    Prealpha 1.04

This is kinda big one.
    Played around with some vents.

Added Collision Geometry (to cap courtyard).
    Added Occlusion Geometry. This boosted performance quite a bit - my computer doesn't sound like it's dying anymore when I load the map. It's still a bit more laggy than the original docking, though. I will have to look how Occlusion Geometry is used there.
    Added Lights to custom parts of the map (vents, southern access).

Still left to do:
    Add another (easier) route for aliens into marine spawn.
    Obstruct the most obvious line of sights.

After that I think it's time to do some testing to see how it works.
    Prealpha 1.05

Added another vent.
    Worked on the line of sight in Terminal in courtyard:
    - Added crates in Terminal
    - Added crates in courtyard, added ladders and removed bridge to alter flow of court

I fear jetpackers and maybe lerks are going to rule this map. Well, let's see. I feel like I need a professional opinion now, like @Howser 's or @Loki 's

:D

Download it here!
    edited October 2013
    Alpha 1.01

Added crates for shorter LoS
    Messed with Occlusion Geometry

I can't get my Occlusion Geometry working correctly; If someone feels the urge to help me, please contact me!

edit: Aaaaaannd I fucked up with the workshop.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Make sure you cap the vent in central. When I last played, I could fly right out of the vent.

Make sure your occlusion geo is in a GROUP (NOT just a layer) called "OcclusionGeometry" (no spaces, and that MIGHT be case-sensitive, not sure).
    It's in the right group.

Which vent are you talking about? Can you give me a screenshot?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It's in the right group.

Which vent are you talking about? Can you give me a screenshot?

No screenshot, but it's a hole in the wall from where the vent in central was in the original map, from central to bar. It's possible you've fixed it already, I played this last Sunday, but when I played, it was just a hole to the outside.
    Ah, now I understand. I missed that one. Will be fixed in 5 min :D
    Meh. The workshop hates me again. I'm gonna ask @Howser to upload it as soon as he's online.
    I'll get it up tonight, in a few hours. My desktop computer is pretty much locked down with rendering atm
    Okay. Judging from the playtest yesterday, I think I'm going to create a connection between Bar Access and Junction, to make it easier for marines to get into Courtyard.

Also, I have to make the way between Courtyard and Locker longer somehow.

I think the map was surprisingly fun to play on, both for aliens and marines. Performance was better than expected, although some seemed to have microstuttering.

If you have any more feedback, please post it here!
    Switched the starting locations, just to see how it works out. I figure aliens still will be OP, as they have more ways into the enemy base. Oh well. Whatever.

On a side note, I just (<5 min ago) finished my paper (due on Tuesday :D), so I will FINALLY have more time for this kind of stuff (while I'm learning for my exams).
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow