Build 252 is Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Haven't played yet, but based on this thread and the AV thread I may wait till Friday to even look at it....

The new alien vision looks sick as a screen shot and seems like someone's concept art rather then a well thought out in game feature...

I think it looks cool. It's not meant to be activated all the time.

Haven't played by myself, yet, though.

edit: The sentence above looks strange...
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Neoken wrote: »
    Cuel wrote: »
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/literally

"informal used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true:
    I have received literally thousands of letters"

Indeed, people are increasingly using the term wrongly in order to exaggerate their claims, which I was pointing out. Thanks for your further clarification. ;)

Comments section seems pretty informal to me. Literally.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xen32 wrote: »
    I have a friend who was on vacation since july and just came back last week. He had to re-learn literally everything. Lulz, he will have to do it again now.

You do know what "literally" means, right? :p

"informal used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true:

Trust the americans to redefine a word because they can't use it correctly.
  • Wang TangWang Tang Join Date: 2004-08-18 Member: 30699Members
    I'm sorry if I'm missing something here, but why not release this "preparatory release" alongside Reinforced? The way it is now you get all the anger for this patch; plus all the anger again for Reinforced (justified or not, haven't played yet).

Also, changelog should be mandatory for release. If the changelog is not there, just don't release it yet. In other words, _take the time_ for the changelog.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »

Indeed, people are increasingly using the term wrongly in order to exaggerate their claims, which I was pointing out. Thanks for your further clarification. ;)

Comments section seems pretty informal to me. Literally.

I agree. It's still a misuse of the word though, considering it's actual definition, no matter how informal the setting. Anyway, that wasn't even the point. The only reason I replied in the first place was because there's simply not that much to re-learn, and I really dislike silly exaggerations like that. But maybe I should stop trying, literally.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I'm curious why a changelog can't be released along side of an update. Do you not keep track of what you're doing and have to rediscover it later? I also don't see why people are losing their minds over what essencially is a beta patch with another coming in two days. I'm not even sure why they bothered to even release it. It seems like most of the issues people are complaining about seem to be performance and bugs, things that will probably be fixed Friday.

Let's take a deep breath and save our rage for Friday when it will be taken more seriously.
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    Chikun wrote: »
    I'm not even sure why they bothered to even release it. It seems like most of the issues people are complaining about seem to be performance and bugs, things that will probably be fixed Friday.

To test to Rendering changes.

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The Pre-Release is because there is a lot of under-the-hood rendering and other tech that needed testing by a larger audience with different PC setups/drivers etc. All the issues we're having now will help get 253 ready for release much smoother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    Yeah, like people would love that who spent 40pres on their suits. :)

Whether or not Exos get beaconed or not is not really a good versus bad thing.

Exos don't get beaconed:
    pro: Exos can still wreak havoc
    con: they lose their repair guys

Exos get beaconed:
    pro: You're not left to die as an exo and didn't waste your pres just because of a beacon
    con: the whole map is free of the fronties
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    edited August 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    skulk movement is tweaked again
    No it wasn't
    simba wrote: »
    But that combined with new alien movement makes for frustrating gameplay. I am getting tired of relearning movement every 3 months :)
    Fade was the only alien that had any kind of movement tweaks done to it this patch.

If alien movement wasn't tweaked, why can I, and every member of the pug community I played with yesterday, notice a significant difference in how we use walls to gain speed? Skulks stick to walls like glue now. I'm not sure if it was intentional..

Edit: Just read Sewlek's post. I am assuming skulk movement is a bug at the moment.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish NS2 had a separate NS2 Beta game in steam. This way, people will be willing to give feedback on the next update before it is released to the general public. Specially technical changes, which needs a broader hardware test.
    Having to patch your "stable" version of the game to test beta is not the best way to handle it. And speaking of beta, when was the last time it was used to test something important before?

Also, like I had said before (and many others before me). We really like to see a changelog with the released of a patch, specially a technical one like this. If CrushaK can give us a general "changelog" by simply looking at the Lua code, why cant UWE give as something more elaborated upon release?

Just finished downloading the update and the overall changes looks good. Some of them a little radical (Alien vision).
    Lets see.....
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use ALT for ducking, when I keep it down and then press a movement key like W I hear a 'ding' like the key combination has not yet been consumed.
  • SewdiOSewdiO Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187136Members
    (Copying my post on ausns2)
    Well, alien vision is completely useless now, even in the dark we can't see anything as marines just blend in the mess created. Plus it's completely monochrome and lacking any contrast, so it does almost the oposite of what it was supposed to be. The texture become pixelated and the shader feels not detailed (batch of colors rather than smooth gradients), and it's not seamless as we can see an distictinct oval shape used.

It may look pretty from afar, but it's actually not practical nor that great when actually using it. Going for a second color for marines and building as of before while keeping a cleaner version of the actual one would solve the problems.

Also, as for every update the framerate is worse, i don't know how they do that.

As for the exo beacon, i think it's a very bad move.

This is a mechanic that has been in use for as long as the game is out (IIRC), and it was one of the understood trade-off from taking an exosuit. You and your team knew that you were vulnerable to a beacon and so took the appropriate mesures, having more than one exo at once, not going too far from a phase gate, etc. This was accepted and known by most.

Now they change this mechanic for another without explanation and apparent sense (it was not needed nor requested). Jaqarll, the points you mentioned are not exactly equal. Basically without the exo beacon you trigger it to destroy the exosuits, and so harm the economy and the fire power of the ennemys, and maybe take some territory as well. With exo beacon, everyone that triggered it is basically dead as the *whole* marine team comes back. It means you can't rush a base all at once without having the entire team instantly come back to fight back. Rather than fight or escape normal marines, you now have the threat of exos which makes the situation almost always fatal (escaping from one or two exos as a skulk isn't easy). What do you gain for all of this ? Map control. Although it's easier to take the territory then, as only the marines can come back quickly through phase gates, i don't think it's worth it.

TL;DR: Forcing the beacon was almost only utilised to isolate exos, now all the marine team is brought back so even with five exos on the field (bad strategic decision in most cases before) an all alien team rush on a base becomes almost impossible and aliens can't harm the marines by destroying the exos anymore. An 12 exo team on a 24 players server now almost becomes viable, and a 6 or 8 one definitely is. Even if the differences are worth each other, changing a game old mechanic in favor of another stas bad.

I don't believe devs read these threads but i hope so, because some changes are just bad.
  • VicentoVicento Join Date: 2007-04-21 Member: 60683Members
    okay after some games playing i decide to rage quit and leave my team mate alone.....

Are you serious with this aliens vision ? Too bright can't see marines while moving fast or hitting them... old one were far better (even if the view look less organic)

Are you serious with this paraplegic fade and slow ass skulk ? Yes really, i used to play thoses classes, and i agree the fade were too strong, but now what is the point about KILL the fade like this ?

It's seems the dev team listen only ppl who complain about aliens.....miss old build 249 (for the shotgun , onos and exos) and 251 (for his skulk and fade movement)
    Obraxis wrote: »
    The Pre-Release is because there is a lot of under-the-hood rendering and other tech that needed testing by a larger audience with different PC setups/drivers etc. All the issues we're having now will help get 253 ready for release much smoother.

Fair enough.

• zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited August 2013
    ** I need to be nicer to people and say less mean things **
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why no CHANGELOGZ? UWE iz teh nubcak3s!!!!!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I really wonder what people expect from a preparatory release.
    The "real" patch is coming on friday and im sure UWE need the feedback to fix all engine releated stuff till then.
    A release in the beta channel didnt had enough players for this feedback.

So, be cool.
    THREE days with some bugs, thats the end of NS2 for sure.
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People are so used to running with night vision that they don't see the great improvement to normal vision. Now I don't have to look at a green screen all the time, great job =)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It is worth noting that I get terrible lag in this build, both net and fps.
    My fps dropped from 40-60 to 20-30, which is twice.
    SewdiO wrote: »
    Forcing the beacon was almost only utilised to isolate exos,

I force a beacon mostly to expose the true target. A couple gorges waiting outside an observatory's view waiting to bile bomb a power node that's now completely undefended from a camping exo is quite an advantage that, in my view, eclipses the loss of being able to isolate exos.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wait... exos are exitable??
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Vicento wrote: »
    okay after some games playing i decide to rage quit and leave my team mate alone.....

Are you serious with this aliens vision ? Too bright can't see marines while moving fast or hitting them... old one were far better (even if the view look less organic)

Are you serious with this paraplegic fade and slow ass skulk ? Yes really, i used to play thoses classes, and i agree the fade were too strong, but now what is the point about KILL the fade like this ?

It's seems the dev team listen only ppl who complain about aliens.....miss old build 249 (for the shotgun , onos and exos) and 251 (for his skulk and fade movement)
    Fade is limped now.. Omg why?
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members

Skulk movement is a bug. It will hopefully be back t othe way it was on Friday. Sewlek, earlier in this thread, mentioned the bug in skulk movement after I mentioned I have to relearn skulk again.
  • ZeroouuhZeroouuh Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186409Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Did people miss the text where Hugh wrote that there will be bugs, and those will likely be fixed with the 253BB on friday? We're experiencing fps & net laggs / drops, it's a pre-patch release, there will be bugs, we've played with other bugs aswell, haven't we?

Be patient :)
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    1.) Quick bug report:
    In the tutorial, the guide always talks with default keys in mind.
    Now it's highly likely that a rookie didn't change them, but some people always change keybindings first and then the text doesn't fit anymore.
    (E.g. "Now press SHIFT to sneak", when somebody put sneak on a different key)

If you go through the steps quickly, the guide gets cut off quite often.

2.) Quick question:
    How can I open a small sandbox server, so my friends can test things with me?
    I know how to open a regular server and I've already set my router to successfully forward the ports, but turning on "cheats 1" is not the same as the single player sandbox.
    Please help.
  • FulgoFulgo Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180399Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can axe down a harvester with one catalyst pack, something needs to be done there. Overall very nice job UWE, always nice to see more depth to this game.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    Almost every alien player spawned, immediately hit 'F', and never turned it off. That was not the dev's intention for AV. It was supposed to work similarly to a Marine flashlight. I haven't had a chance to see it myself (if someone could post a screen shot, that'd be great). But, they wanted to make it only usable in the dark.
    Most of the games I've played over the last several weeks were Alien victories. Probably in the 60-40 range. Aliens needed a nerf, especially Fade, as you mentioned.

It's truly amazing to me that people will heftily criticize or praise a build less than 24 hours after it's release. Patches often have little bugs that need to be fixed, and they'll likely be addressed in Reinforced or in a quick fix soon. Test the build for a couple of weeks and THEN offer a valuable opinion. Some of the vitriol thrown at this build is unreal.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited August 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    xen32 wrote: »
    I have a friend who was on vacation since july and just came back last week. He had to re-learn literally everything. Lulz, he will have to do it again now.

You do know what "literally" means, right? :p

Trust the americans to redefine a word because they can't use it correctly.

literally is literally the only word in the english language which is immune to sarcasm?