Onos Mount

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Onos should be mountable. There should be an onos mount researchable in the armory/robotics lab. When it is researched both the onos mount and the onos lasso are researched. To mount an onos you need at least three marines. Two will need onos lassos which will have an electrical lasso like animation that holds the onos. You need at leasts two onos lassos to hold the onos still enough for a marine with a jetpack to fly up and mount the onos, only if he is brave enough. While lasso'd the onos can still attack and move a little bit. The onos moving around makes it harder for the marine to find the position needed to place the onos mount. An onos can turn and attack the would be mounter. With 3 marines lassoing the onos it can't move around making it easier to mount but can turn and attack. With 4 marines lassoing the onos is held perfectly still unable to attack and can and will be mounted by the marine with the onos mount.

After the onos has been mounted, the onos player dies. Then the marine gets to ride an onos around until he dies. The marine will get a third person view model of himself riding an onos. He can still shoot. He controls the onos with WASD. When with in range of an enemy or enemy structure the onos will attack it, while the marine can also shoot. This marine can not be welded and is stuck on the onos. He will have whatever gun he had when he mounted the onos, although rifle or grenade launcher would obviously be the most powerful while riding the onos. The marine/onus's health will be twice that of the onos. The only way he can heal is by natural alien regen speeds.

This is balanced because the massive amount of tres and coordination needed to mount the onos. The marine equivalent of a gorge hydra rush is what this would be, although more expensive but far more lol worthy.

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DOESNT MAKE ANY FCKING SENSE, only Exo's have the mass/ weight needed 'to lasso down' an onos.
    Keep this game realistic please, this community demands realism!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    aeroripper wrote: »
    YEEEEHHHHAAAWWWWWWW

Good. There is a model already.
    CCTEE wrote: »
    DOESNT MAKE ANY FCKING SENSE, only Exo's have the mass/ weight needed 'to lasso down' an onos.
    Keep this game realistic please, this community demands realism!

This is no ordinary rope lasso. This is an onos lasso powered by naniites. The model/animation would have to be one similar to electricity.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    I think the onos mount research should also unlock the Onos saddle™ (~150 tres). With the Onos saddle™, every captured Onos automatically gets an upgraded saddle with dual railguns, which the riding marines can select as 5th and 6th weapon. They work like normal exo railguns.

Also, the Onos saddle™ grants a +25% hp/armor through it's forcefield.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm going to quit NS if this is not in Reinforced update.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I think the onos mount research should also unlock the Onos saddle™ (~150 tres). With the Onos saddle™, every captured Onos automatically gets an upgraded saddle with dual railguns, which the riding marines can select as 5th and 6th weapon. They work like normal exo railguns.

Also, the Onos saddle™ grants a +25% hp/armor through it's forcefield.

Now now @F0rdPrefect, we don't want this being too OP.
    xen32 wrote: »
    I'm going to quit NS if this is not in Reinforced update.
    9 days left UWE. Yes this a proper allocation of resources. Remember all the new people who saw the exo trailer and bought the game for that. Wait till they hear they can ride the aliens most powerful species.

More ideas on the lasso animation. I imagine it like a blue thunderbolt that you must aim strait at the onos. When hitting the onos it makes circular thunderbolt at the end. Kinda like below.
    GUN:----(0)
    The gun itself could look something similar to the portal gun but not so valvish.

• TouchitTouchit Join Date: 2013-08-10 Member: 186716Members
    So... forget about the saddle part for a second here. You've basically made it so marines can now Lasso an Onos into one place. This will allow fellow team mates to rush in and blast the $#!&!!!!!!!!! Out of the Onos who can not move.

My question is how does the alien team counter the Lasso? Does a gorges Bile Bomb destroy the Lasso, forcing the marine player to run back to back and buy a new Lasso? Maybe have another alien player bite the Lasso, or kill the marine hold the Lasso?

Interesting concept, but don't think it would work very well. Moving your camera into 3rd person while on the back of an Onos would be rather hard on certain maps. With a lower ceiling(Hallways), this would be difficult to navigate where you're heading. Unless you are pretty awesome with using your mini map displayed in the HUD.

Please expand on your idea. I like it, but not enough detail for me personally to agree with it being put into the game.
    Touchit wrote: »
    So... forget about the saddle part for a second here. You've basically made it so marines can now Lasso an Onos into one place. This will allow fellow team mates to rush in and blast the $#!&!!!!!!!!! Out of the Onos who can not move.

My question is how does the alien team counter the Lasso? Does a gorges Bile Bomb destroy the Lasso, forcing the marine player to run back to back and buy a new Lasso? Maybe have another alien player bite the Lasso, or kill the marine hold the Lasso?

Interesting concept, but don't think it would work very well. Moving your camera into 3rd person while on the back of an Onos would be rather hard on certain maps. With a lower ceiling(Hallways), this would be difficult to navigate where you're heading. Unless you are pretty awesome with using your mini map displayed in the HUD.

Please expand on your idea. I like it, but not enough detail for me personally to agree with it being put into the game.

You could get two marines to hold the onos down while the rest of the team shoots it dead, but researching lassos and lassos them selves would have to be expensive. There is a strong incentive to not kill the onos. If you can get the onos mounted/saddled it would be the strongest unit and the most lol worthy. The sheer cost and teamwork involved would be enough to make most not attempt this. Those who do will have initiative. Lassoing should have some more skill than just aim at onos and lasso'd but I am not sure how. Making mounting the onos take skill would not be too difficult. Just make the exact location where you have to place the saddle difficult to find.

You can kill the marines holding the lassos releasing the onos. That seemed self explanatory to me. It is a nanite lasso with a marine on the other end not a nanite net.

Moving around the map would be no harder than it already is for an onos. The actual hitbox will be that of the onos. The marine will just be on the model of the onos. The view point will be from the marine though.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    james888 wrote: »
    Lassoing should have some more skill than just aim at onos and lasso'd but I am not sure how.

The lasso(gun?) has a long cooldown and a short range. The lasso-effect only lasts a really short time. The 2 lasso marines need to time their trap perfectly (both at almost the same time) and get real close.
    Btw: You should call it 'ensnare' for general game recognition.

Edit: the ensnare-gun might also be used to slow/trap fades, lerks etc for a short time.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Touchit wrote: »

You could get two marines to hold the onos down while the rest of the team shoots it dead, but researching lassos and lassos them selves would have to be expensive. There is a strong incentive to not kill the onos. If you can get the onos mounted/saddled it would be the strongest unit and the most lol worthy. The sheer cost and teamwork involved would be enough to make most not attempt this. Those who do will have initiative. Lassoing should have some more skill than just aim at onos and lasso'd but I am not sure how. Making mounting the onos take skill would not be too difficult. Just make the exact location where you have to place the saddle difficult to find.

You can kill the marines holding the lassos releasing the onos. That seemed self explanatory to me. It is a nanite lasso with a marine on the other end not a nanite net.

Moving around the map would be no harder than it already is for an onos. The actual hitbox will be that of the onos. The marine will just be on the model of the onos. The view point will be from the marine though.

The lassoing marines should play a really quick minigame of space invaders during the process, rendering them vulnerable and raising the skill required to perform the action.
    edited August 2013
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Lassoing should have some more skill than just aim at onos and lasso'd but I am not sure how.

The lasso(gun?) has a long cooldown and a short range. The lasso-effect only lasts a really short time. The 2 lasso marines need to time their trap perfectly (both at almost the same time) and get real close.
    Btw: You should call it 'ensnare' for general game recognition.

Edit: the ensnare-gun might also be used to slow/trap fades, lerks etc for a short time.

Yes yes. Short range so you have to take the risk of getting near the onos. Needs to be times for more coordination. The more marines using them the better the effect, as I said four marines will hold an onos perfectly still, but two will only prevent it from moving more that a few feet. More marines lassoing/ensnaring the better the effect but the harder to pull off. Maybe not a long cool down but a fire delay and a visual audio cue so the aliens know it is coming.

I prefer lasso to ensnare. Fits much more with the onos riding theme.

The lasso gun could be used on all life forms I guess.

@f0rdprefect
    The lassoing marines should play a really quick minigame of space invaders during the process, rendering them vulnerable and raising the skill required to perform the action.

It would be a quick but very hard minigame of space invaders, that if you win you are invincible while lassoing. If you lose the minigame you are vulnerable.
    Yes. Yes.

Can you use alien vision on an captured onos? Via neurolink?
    Yes. Yes.
    Can you use alien vision on an captured onos? Via neurolink?
    If you can ride and onos after caputuring it with an electric nanite lasso with your team... why not!

• maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    lasso should be upgrade for single arm exo's ...

add a secondary gunner spot on the back that a jp can land on and hit E to hold on and shoot... but still be able to fly away...
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    lets change the idea a little, only an Exo can immobilize an onos while 5 out of 6 marines will slow the onos does by 80% they will get dragged around by said onos,marines will have to do constant quick time events(wont be easy) the onos will have its stamina drained and when the onos' stamina is gone THEN the marines can mount it...after the onos is almost dead like less then 10 health....
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    edited August 2013
    they will get dragged around by said onos

I think that this would be a good way to discourage lasso spam from players: If you lasso a lifeform like an onos by your self or with too few others, the onos will drag you around, dealing constant damage to you for either a set amount of time or until you die.
    lets change the idea a little, only an Exo can immobilize an onos while 5 out of 6 marines will slow the onos does by 80% they will get dragged around by said onos,marines will have to do constant quick time events(wont be easy) the onos will have its stamina drained and when the onos' stamina is gone THEN the marines can mount it...after the onos is almost dead like less then 10 health....

I like the dragging idea but not everything else. This is no regular lasso where an onos could pull 6 marines. This is a nanite lasso, and quite powerful. It is more like a force field rope. It is both elastic and rigid. It does have its limits. One marine would slow down and onos 30% and would drag the marine, a second 60% which would be a walking pace for the marines, a third 90% basically making the onos immobile but still able to attack those close enough, a fourth 120% making the onos unable to defend itself.
    I like the idea about the exo being equipped with a lasso, though. How about we give the railgun exo a lasso instead of a fist?
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    I think the aliens should also be able to research having gorges ride on onos too. The gorge would need a little cowboy hat though.

Even if this doesn't make it into the game (unlikely I know), someone should definitely make an Onos rustling mod where marines have x amount of time to lasso wild onos without dying and hog tie them.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Next step would be Fade crack opening exo, pulling marine out and taking his place. GRAND THEFT EXO UPDATE NOW.
    I think the aliens should also be able to research having gorges ride on onos too. The gorge would need a little cowboy hat though.

Even if this doesn't make it into the game (unlikely I know), someone should definitely make an Onos rustling mod where marines have x amount of time to lasso wild onos without dying and hog tie them.
    No no no... They need to research lerk lift so they can have a lerk gorge dynamic duo.
    xen32 wrote: »
    Next step would be Fade crack opening exo, pulling marine out and taking his place. GRAND THEFT EXO UPDATE NOW.

Vortex is ok. Give fades the ability to blink into ones body possessing it.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    While we're dreaming... Parasite should give first person picture in picture option...
    kalakuja wrote: »
    wtf stop this now

Most of these ideas are pretty lol. I do really like the lerk lift though, and onos mount would be pretty cool also.
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    While we're dreaming... Parasite should give first person picture in picture option...

How about... parasite infects every other marine the infected marine touches?

How about... parasite infects every other marine the infected marine touches?

I have a better idea. Aliens can research "Infection" at the hive, similarly to how marines have to research nanosheild. Infestation is bacteria, so aliens can research on to infect the marines. So when a marine walks on infestation he becomes visible till he walks back to an armory. Brings back hive site, but called infection.
    @james888. To powerful to be automatic on any infestation... But if they added a para to rupture so that when a rine is ninjaing a RT the com can para him that would be pretty sweet...
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    and give back the onos' devour along with this
    @james888. To powerful to be automatic on any infestation... But if they added a para to rupture so that when a rine is ninjaing a RT the com can para him that would be pretty sweet...

That's actually a pretty nice idea.