Marine Commander Build Orders

RevanBladeZRevanBladeZ Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186545Members
I am still a bit new to the game, especially commanding. anyone know any good build orders for marine commander?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    The default way to go (14+ servers): Amory ->2 Rts -> Observatory ->research PGs -> (Shotguns) -> more Rts -> (front amory if needed) -> arms lab -> PGs -> adv amory at base -> proto lab -> jetpack or exos -> (robo if macs or arcs needed) -> second cc + observatory ->dual gun exo -> drop weapons and exos

The hole game you should support your teammates with scans, med- and ammopacks (but not to many), get as many rts and reasearch upgrades asap. Sentries are also some times (if your team has a real bad aim) quiet usefull to help the team. Also build an ip if you see that often more than 2 teammember are dead
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    Basic pub build order is:
    (For large servers, 20+ players) 2nd IP
    Armory
    Obs

The early obs is necessary to defend against base rushes, and will be needed anyway for Phasegates.
    An alternative to early obs is to research mines on the armory, but on pubs that's not likely to be a good idea.

Buildings RTs when you have marines in position is a no-brainer and isn't a part of the "build order".
    You should also be very fast about this.
    Being slow about dropping res when marines are in position is one of the best ways to get the team ticked off with you.

What you do next depends on what's happening on the map. One or more of the following cases may happen:

Case 1) Marines are dying by droves -> Get a 2nd IP if you don't have one already. On large servers, you may even need a 3rd very early (you'll still probably lose the game, but at least your marines won't be stuck in the spawn queue and can play a bit).

Case 2) You have a group of marines deep in enemy territory, in a good position for a phasegate -> Drop them an armory to help them hold the position and research phasegates immediately. You may want to keep an eye on them, giving them timely scans and meds, until they can get the phasegates up. Researching mines will also help greatly for defending both before and after the phasegates are up.

Case 3) Your team is having difficulty pushing out and/or keeping res towers up -> Prepare to buckle down and manage your res carefully. Early shotgun is probably a bad idea because chances are, if your team isn't pushing out then they will die easily even with a shotgun for little gain. Better to wait until you have a few upgrades.

Above all, unless you're a really good commander, your best bet it to simply respond to marine requests (unless it's stupid).
    If they ask for something, give it to them.
    If you're not sure if something is a good idea or not, don't be afraid to ask the rest of the team if they think it's actually a good idea.

Beyond that, when you have the res, tech up (but unless the tech is urgent, you should leave a buffer to respond to marine requests and for emergency beacon).
  • ArcticfoxxArcticfoxx Join Date: 2009-12-11 Member: 69593Members
    @GhoulofGSG9 and @sinkingmist: Both good advice, but really, the comm needs to figure out how his team is working before deciding. Games are dynamic. Kudos though :)>-
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    As there is no really need for early PGs on servers >18 i would delay them a bit.
    Prepare for eject votes if you try that.

The goal is to have armor2 (4 swipes of fade instead of 3), weapon1 and shotguns around 7 mark (fades pop up)

Build order:
    2nd IP -> armory -> 2 rts -> mines (yes mines instead obs. cheaper to research and good vs early base rushes) -> 3rd rt -> arms lab -> 1st upgrade (a1 or w1,depend on death ratio of your team) -> obs -> pg -> next upgrade -> shotguns

But again, people going to hate you. They will cry for phase gates and laughing about your useless mineresearch.

Another very important thing is: support your troops with medpacks and ammo:
    If you see red dots on the map, go there and drop meds. Dont wait for requests. If your troops need ammo, drop them and dont let them build an armory if the have no ammo. (What if skulks attacking in that moment they build? *klick klick*)

In the end:
    Its always the coms fault if marines are losing, not the players cant hit a single skulk covered by medspam.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    As the is no really need for early PGs on servers >18 i would delay them a bit.
    Prepare for eject votes if you try that.

The goal is to have armor2 (4 swipes of fade instead of 3), weapon1 and shotguns around 7 mark (fades pop up)

Build order:
    2nd IP -> armory -> 2 rts -> mines (yes mines instead obs. cheaper to research and good vs early base rushes) -> 3rd rt -> arms lab -> 1st upgrade (a1 or w1,depend on death ratio of your team) -> obs -> pg -next upgrade ->shotguns

But again, people going to hate you. They will cry for phase gates and laughing about your useless mineresearch.

Another very important thing is: support your troops with medpacks and ammo:
    If you see red dots on the map, go there and drop meds. Dont wait for requests. If your troops need ammo, drop them and dont let them build an armory if the have no ammo. (What if skulks attacking in that moment they build? *klick klick*)

End the end:
    Its always the coms fault if marines are losing, not the players cant hit a single skulk covered by medspam.

Duh... Everyone know its not the player with a 4% accuracy's fault. The comm didn't med him fast enough or have shotguns researched at the 2 minute mark, or my favorite didn't have enough res because the nodes kept being destroyed so there's no money for an aa and proto. "Where's my exos?"
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    heh, i had a guy just like that, whingeing that we had no jetpacks or exos...whe nwe were pinned to 2 nodes :s.

i'm by no means an expert, but i've played commander quite a few times and i have to agree with what the people above me are saying, they are all really good suggestions.

i myself don't really have a build order :S i jsut do whatever makes sense at the time. usually turns out ok....usually XD
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    Arms lab --> 2 nodes --> A1 --> 2 nodes --> A2 --> AA --> W1 if res allows -->Proto --> Recycle AA, drop Armory --> Jetpacks --> Shotguns --> Obs --> W2 if res allows --> Spam medpacks and scans --> YOLO, I'm not dragging this out.

But never, ever research phase gates. If need be recycle your base except the arms lab, drop a new command chair, 3 ips and rebuild from there. But never ever get a phase gate.

edit: This is just what I do, doesn't mean it's right. But it's fun
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    The only times I've seen a pub marine team win without phasegates was when the teams were strongly stacked in favour of marines, but YMMV.