Rookie tag really needs to be reworked

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    wat

There is some stuff in the pipework, and it's hardly as simple as setting a variable. Not allowing people to play the game isn't a solution.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Jekt wrote: »
    wat

There is some stuff in the pipework, and it's hardly as simple as setting a variable. Not allowing people to play the game isn't a solution.

I mean... prolonging the rookie time. Can't be that hard, can it?
    And it has been requested for months.
  • AWhiteAWhite Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61685Members
    but a rookie first time com is NOT

I will eject this guy every time even on a green server. You need to play 10-20 hrs and have an understanding of the workflow and speed of the game before you try to comm.

There is no sense to creating a bad game for an entire server because you want to "try it", and the game itself does nothing to help you not be terrible in this first match. The only answer is tremendous foreknowledge.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What does that accomplish?
  • X3N0X3N0 Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186662Members
    edited August 2013
    From a relatively new player, I generally agree with the OP.

Perhaps implement another rank, like Beginner or something (colour blue perhaps) and have a handful of servers you can only play on if you're 10 hours or below. Keep green Rookie tags and rookie servers, they're the next step up. But from the quotes in the first post it seems new players with very little knowledge of the game feel they don't have somewhere forgiving for learning maps and the game mechanics, where they can play, make mistakes and still have fun. This used to work well with CS back in the day with the beginners mods on a handful of UK2 servers.

Another idea - perhaps limit the number of slots in these low-skill friendly servers available to people above a certain number of hours, and force the game to split these higher skilled players evenly between the teams. This would allow a couple of higher skilled players to join and help mentor, and would prevent stacking and organised newbie-bashing.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I agree with the basis of this idea. Other games, soccer for example, for the most part you will play with people within your own skill level. You will not go up against a professional million dollar team on your sunday park game, you'll go up against your mates who only really play it on every other sunday.

Magic The Gathering; You will usually not be versing competetive players, you'll play other noobs while you're a noob, occasionally you'll get confident, challenge a good player, get stomped and then go back to having fun playing against people within your skill range.

It's pretty horrible that we let rookies get stomped by good players, they need a kiddie pool that the big boys don't go in any more. But the rookies won't remain in the kiddie pool forever, they'll eventually venture into the full big pool and see what it's like up against the better players.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    What I don't get... Why do they never even try to address these issues... I mean, how much work is it to tweak a variable?

Couldn't agree more. It' quite clear the 3 hr rookie time is laughable, why nothing has been done to at least bump it to 10-20 hrs I have no idea.

Skill imbalance is a huge issue right now in pubs and if there are no official means of segregating players then the players should have at least some tools in order to allow them to be responsible themselves. I see a team of 90% green people I would behave completely different then I see a team of white people.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited August 2013
    The simple answer is ns2 is a cliche game with a small playerbase. You may want rookie only servers, but the game population cannot support such segregation. You are playing an old-school FPS, its not designed for instant gratification.

If you took the time to actually read the thread, you would understand that it would simply be an option given to new players. One or two 16 slot servers aren't going to hurt your normal player base and the players would eventually graduate from these servers if they decide to use them.
    Those quotes you listed do not surprise me, I'm assuming they never grew up on Quake, UT, Wolfenstein, Brood War. They might be young or old, but their gaming experience would be from Battlefield / CoD4+ or something equally as bad.

What?
    If you want rookie only servers, the game would die over night. The vets who made this game possible (aka pre-ordering for a game that by all accounts would actually never come out) would simply not be able to play anymore. You wouldn't even be able to fill a server with vets... there isn't enough left of them.

Again, you don't understand the proposed suggestion. I suggest you take a few minutes to actually read and try to comprehend the simple structure described before you reply again. It's really not that hard to grasp.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think the rookie tag should be re-worked in the following fashion:

1) Extend its time to 30 hours or some other number. On first launch of the game, it will recommend to the player that they try a tutorial/explore mode before hopping on the rookie servers.

2) Have the server browser preset to list only the official UWE rookie only servers. The player can have it show all the normal servers, but not before a warning pops up that says something about them getting stomped by veterans and rookie servers are meant for learning about the game. There would be a number of servers provided, especially for new content launches and big sales on steam like the one last month.

3) The player could still turn off their rookie tag in options and join a normal server as they can now if they wanted to.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    @ns2isgood

No i read the OP and understand it, no need to be so angsty over my post... I was responding to not only you but others in this thread.

Either way, segregation of players is always a bad thing and its 1000x worse on games with small playerbases. Rookie tag is a joke anyway, the people that are rookies don't even realise why they are green. By the time they realise they are classed as rookie, they have 'graduated' to the same rank as everyone else.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    make the rookie tag last for 200 hours, or at least a hundred. when the he'll do.people learn to jump.and aim anyway? maybe green for the first 50 hours, blue for the next 200, then finally white.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »
    make the rookie tag last for 200 hours, or at least a hundred. when the he'll do.people learn to jump.and aim anyway? maybe green for the first 50 hours, blue for the next 200, then finally white.

And then Gold at 1000h :)

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited August 2013
    @ns2isgood

No i read the OP and understand it, no need to be so angsty over my post... I was responding to not only you but others in this thread.

Either way, segregation of players is always a bad thing and its 1000x worse on games with small playerbases. Rookie tag is a joke anyway, the people that are rookies don't even realise why they are green. By the time they realise they are classed as rookie, they have 'graduated' to the same rank as everyone else.

My point exactly, your reading comprehension isn't that great. I told you to read the thread and you come back and tell me you've read the original post.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »

And then Gold at 1000h :)

So close!! B-)
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    @ns2isgood

My point exactly, your reading comprehension isn't that great. I told you to read the thread and you come back and tell me you've read the original post.

Seems like you need help with reading comprehension as well... male_fatalities said he wasn't replying to just you but others on this thread, meaning he did read the thread... Though I agree the rookie status needs reworked I don't agree with segregating a large percentage of the population because they're too noob. And yes if you make the people with less than 100 hours green then that is a majority. They'll want to play on these rookie only servers leaving the rest of us in underpopulated servers. Thus ruining or at least crippling the game for the "experienced" players.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    ^^^

Ahahah, good stuff.
    @ns2isgood

Seems like you need help with reading comprehension as well... male_fatalities said he wasn't replying to just you but others on this thread, meaning he did read the thread... Though I agree the rookie status needs reworked I don't agree with segregating a large percentage of the population because they're too noob. And yes if you make the people with less than 100 hours green then that is a majority. They'll want to play on these rookie only servers leaving the rest of us in underpopulated servers. Thus ruining or at least crippling the game for the "experienced" players.

oh, I.didnt mean enforce segregation, I just meant so they'll know where they stand, and I'll be able to figure out if I can expect my comm to know anything at all, or to expect support from my team.
    @ns2isgood

oh, I.didnt mean enforce segregation, I just meant so they'll know where they stand, and I'll be able to figure out if I can expect my comm to know anything at all, or to expect support from my team.

No I understand and agree that the rookie tag should last longer, maybe like 100 hrs. I was more responding to the OP suggesting having dedicated rookie only servers. If the green tag was extended to 100 hrs, then they'd join the rookie only servers more than the others for their first 100 hrs, thus eliminating a large percentage of the game population from regular pubs.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I've suggested this elsewhere, but the colour of the name could be derived from the time played as a function, not in a binary/stepped nature (green, blue, yellow etc). If absolute rookies at t=0h have the colour (lime) green, and this goes to aqua at 50h, then goes white over the next 50h, you'd need a couple of formulae like this:

if t=0-50h
    name colour (RGB) = 0, 255, int((255/50)t)

if t=50-100h
    name colour (RGB) = int((255/50)t), 255, 255

That's a very rough and ready first go, I'd probably prefer to come up with a single formula that gives a better colour gradient. It'd work, though, provided that spark has the capability to colour text in this fashion. Doesn't need to be dynamic, can calculate once when joining a server.

It quickly gives players an at-a-glance idea of the experience of their team. Interpolating between green-aqua-white makes it not so fine a judgement as using the whole colour spectrum (and therefore also less visually cluttering), which is fair if you're looking at a lengthy period of name colouration.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If the green tag was extended to 100 hrs, then they'd join the rookie only servers more than the others for their first 100 hrs,

Why?
    edited August 2013
    @Side1Bu2Rnz9 - 100 hours would be excessive surely... I'm not even halfway to that and I've a good grasp of the game mechanics.

Enforced segregation of players would be a bad idea. But OP is suggesting having a few servers where new players below say 10 hours, those who are most likely to quit after struggling against skilled players, are protected from getting hammered. New players would have the CHOICE of joining these servers if they wanted to. How would this be any different to them spending that time watching video tutorials or in explore mode, or even a single player tutorial, except that they'd actually be playing the game with others, which is what counts?

[Edit] On a related note, would a similar mechanism work for preventing stacking in rookie servers? I'm thinking an ingame serverside mod/mutator that checks cumulative playtime for players on each team at the point the game is about to start, checks they're not grossly imbalanced, and swaps a couple of high hours players for low hours players if this is the case. Then the game begins. Sure it'd be a bit frustrating but it'd be a serverside option - not all would have it enabled. I'd rather be switched teams and have an even match than play a onesided game because teams are stacked. [/Edit]
    X3N0 wrote: »
    @Side1Bu2Rnz9 - 100 hours would be excessive surely... I'm not even halfway to that and I've a good grasp of the game mechanics.

Enforced segregation of players would be a bad idea. But OP is suggesting having a few servers where new players below say 10 hours, those who are most likely to quit after struggling against skilled players, are protected from getting hammered. New players would have the CHOICE of joining these servers if they wanted to. How would this be any different to them spending that time watching video tutorials or in explore mode, or even a single player tutorial, except that they'd actually be playing the game with others, which is what counts?

[Edit] On a related note, would a similar mechanism work for preventing stacking in rookie servers? I'm thinking an ingame serverside mod/mutator that checks cumulative playtime for players on each team at the point the game is about to start, checks they're not grossly imbalanced, and swaps a couple of high hours players for low hours players if this is the case. Then the game begins. Sure it'd be a bit frustrating but it'd be a serverside option - not all would have it enabled. I'd rather be switched teams and have an even match than play a onesided game because teams are stacked. [/Edit]

I agree 100 would be excessive but 10 I feel is too low. And I understand that the rookie only servers are a choice, but 9/10 times those greens are going to join those servers. Maybe not and maybe I'm speculating too much, but its something I could see happening. I like that idea of random, though.

i don't feel 100 hours is excessive. personally, i don't think someone should jump into the comm chair until they have a solid 50+ hours on the ground under competent commanders. 100 hours is not excessive. i don't think i can tell the difference between 100 hour players and 30 hour players as it is, they all die to non-ambush skulk play. maybe they do better in a group of 5 marines, but solo? oh sure, they can shoot me down 1 out of 5 times, instead of 1 out of 10 times. yay, improvement.
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    It´s simple - only the hardest will survive, there is no need to rework it, those people who won´t be able to learn fast and being better by time shouldn´t play such games or video games at all. It´s a fact, accept it - but keep on planing for a little sandbox for the little babies who are not able to survive in the big mad world!
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Martin7 wrote: »
    It´s simple - only the hardest will survive, there is no need to rework it, those people who won´t be able to learn fast and being better by time shouldn´t play such games or video games at all. It´s a fact, accept it - but keep on planing for a little sandbox for the little babies who are not able to survive in the big mad world!

...it's a videogame, not MMA. It's also about profit - more players sticking around, more monies.
    Martin7 wrote: »

...it's a videogame, not MMA. It's also about profit - more players sticking around, more monies.

actually, the more people buy it the more monies, people sticking around generates good press, and good word of mouth. as does a competitive scene that's not gimped by a low skill ceiling. I'm torn on how to up the skill level while keeping it fun. and if you segregate the skills, I gear it will just bleed players faster at the higher levels. iI'm already getting to that point where pubs aren't as fun anymore, unless I just want to deathmatch.
  • Pooka84Pooka84 Join Date: 2013-08-16 Member: 186903Members
    I have ~400 logged hours and have been playing since early beta.

I agree with the OP. There needs to be a better setup for new players. What my friends and I often talk about is permanent stat tracking that is integrated into the game. An algorithm that gives you a player ranking based on Wins/Losses/KDR/Support/Comming. Basically NS2stats.

With that it will be easy to balance teams accordingly and see what you're up against. And on rookie servers it would force the teams to be within a + or - range of the other team to allow play to proceed.

It has to be integrated on a permanent level though.
    edited August 2013
    i don't feel 100 hours is excessive. personally, i don't think someone should jump into the comm chair until they have a solid 50+ hours on the ground under competent commanders. 100 hours is not excessive. i don't think i can tell the difference between 100 hour players and 30 hour players as it is, they all die to non-ambush skulk play. maybe they do better in a group of 5 marines, but solo? oh sure, they can shoot me down 1 out of 5 times, instead of 1 out of 10 times. yay, improvement.

100h isn't excessive in terms of learning, but it I feel it is in terms of access to newbie-only servers.

If this were implemented, I feel there would have to be a sweet spot where those who seek out these servers were forced to venture into the open access pubs. This was why I suggested keeping green servers; It's the next step up. If players stuck to these newbie-only servers for 100h, then others' fears of the main playerbase drastically suffering might be realised, imo. And ultimately, you only get better by getting your ass kicked, you can't improve unless you're exposed to significantly better players. I don't think i'd progress beyond the first few hours unless I ventured into high skilled pubs. So let them join, die to non-ambush skulk play, let them suck solo, but excessive time spent on a low-skill only server wouldn't prepare new players for the sort of skill levels you seek or to realise both their and the game's potential. This newbie server idea is great for protecting those learning the basics, but not to instil a sense of complacency in a nascent playerbase with regards to skill levels, it'd be doing them and the game a disservice in the long run if they could stick to those servers and never progress.

Just my 2c.

100h isn't excessive in terms of learning, but it I feel it is in terms of access to newbie-only servers.

If this were implemented, I feel there would have to be a sweet spot where those who seek out these servers were forced to venture into the open access pubs. This was why I suggested keeping green servers; It's the next step up. If players stuck to these newbie-only servers for 100h, then others' fears of the main playerbase drastically suffering might be realised, imo. And ultimately, you only get better by getting your ass kicked, you can't improve unless you're exposed to significantly better players. I don't think i'd progress beyond the first few hours unless I ventured into high skilled pubs. So let them join, die to non-ambush skulk play, let them suck solo, but excessive time spent on a low-skill only server wouldn't prepare new players for the sort of skill levels you seek or to realise both their and the game's potential. This newbie server idea is great for protecting those learning the basics, but not to instil a sense of complacency in a nascent playerbase with regards to skill levels, it'd be doing them and the game a disservice in the long run if they could stick to those servers and never progress.

Just my 2c.

honestly I don't care for rookie only idea, but this discussion in my understanding is more about the tag. I just want to know if I can depend on my teammates and my comm. it would change my game experience. right now, if I jump into a rookie friendly server, or even a white server... unless I seecompetitive names, I don't expect more than to home my skulk jumping speed, and my parasite killing. having different colors, and better correlating colors would give an indication of what kind of experience a game is likely to provide.
    god, I just played a game where I went lerk, and messed around. at the end one of the marines said that marines needed a buff. tried to have a discussion about the difficulty in making those kinds of blanket statements, he said that marines we're nerfed in the last patch, and we didn't even field any good fades, and he called me a trolland refused to tell me how he thought marines were nerfed. the next round, partly to gauge his skill, I decided to go decent skulk against his team, and managed to outkill my team and hold his to negative ratios for the most part. if he were a green player, aka, under 100 hours, I wouldn't have bothered engaging in the first place.