Female Marine Black Armour

foxyfennecfoxyfennec Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186550Members
So I recently started playing NS2 again because you announced a female marine, something I had been anticipating for a while. Realised this wasn't actually the patch so wasn't that excited.

I think everyone should be given the opportunity to purchase the female Black Armour, even if it's just limited edition. I was watching NS2 since it was first announced, I saw the Special Edition and the Black Armour which came with it and wasn't fussed. However if the female marines were out then I would have definitely jumped at it.

It's really not fair, and kind of sexist. Guys had the option to choose the male Black Armour marine, but us girls had no choice. How could we have ever known you would even release a female marine? It was hinted at but has taken a pretty long time.

I propose we have the ability to unlock the female black armour marine for the same amount of time the special edition pre-order was available.

I don't want anything for free. I don't want the male black armour marine or I would have pre-ordered the special edition. I simply want the opportunity to be represented by my own sex, and to choose from all three available models (understanding that the other two cost extra).

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The female model is something UWE have been wanting to make, since the vary first concept arts where drawn. And was a known "to come" feature, when the alpha special edition was sold to fund the games creation.
    However, the black armor is allso a "thank you" from UWE to its most loyal players, that purchaised "the special edition" when NS2 was nothing more then an idea and a handfull concept arts, opeing the black armor up to the general population, would be a virtual slap and a raised middle finger, to the ones funding the game.
    So im sorry to tell you that, UWE would never break that promiss, and the black armor will remain exclusively to thoes early backers.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    You didn't preorder the "NS2 Special Edition" version, or what ever it was called, because the only player character was male at that time?

Who said the fmemale models will cost anything, my information so far is that the update which brings the female marine will give everyone the standard version, everyone who owns the deluxe version of the game will get the deluxe version of the female marine and for those who own the "NS2 Special Edition" version will get the black female marine version on top.

We had a lot of discussions with this topic in the forum, and i think the main reason why it should stay exclusive is the following one:

I see my black armor as a sign that i'm a early believer and was willing to spend 40$ and trust UWE that they may release a game with it. I just looked up when i preorderd, it was on the 28 of may in 2009. Thats over 3 years 5 months and 3 days before the release of the game. My guess is that more than the half of the people which preorderd the "NS2 Special Edition" version at that time didn't do it because of the black armor but to give UWE more support.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Some of us were throwing money at Charlie back when all we got was a little blue sparkly forum icon and the knowledge that we were supporting our favorite Half-Life mod (and game developer!). The SpecOps TSF armor is very nice, but it's not why I why pre-ordered as soon as I could. The armor exists as a reward for the people who wanted to make NS2 a reality, and the fact is that it very likely wouldn't have been funded without that support.
  • foxyfennecfoxyfennec Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186550Members
    edited August 2013
    Black armour on on female marines was never promised. It wouldn't be a slap in the face to offer them something which was never offered to them. Never offered to me. How was it offered to them but not offered to myself? I didn't see that offer anywhere. You can't retroactively want something which wasn't there to want in the first place.

No matter what the motivation was behind people buying the pre-order, what it advertised is what it advertised. I don't want black armour on a male marine, I'm not asking for something limited.

Also even if I did have it I wouldn't care if you allowed others the opportunity. E.g League of Legends I have tonnes of limited edition and retired skins. I couldn't care less if Riot offered people the limited edition skins to everyone, as long as they were also charged. I actually dislike the idea of someone else not being able to get something I have in a game. Also, if these people were purely in it for helping to support NS2, they truly wouldn't care if this skin which they weren't even offered was offered to everyone. You can't have your cake and eat it. Either they were in it for the skin, both, or to help. If to help they shouldn't care, if both or just for the skin they should understand.

The known to come features were not known by myself and I'm sure many others. I'm not someone who treads onto forums often and reads everything developers have to say. To me that's a rather unknown realm. I don't like forums, I'm sorry. I also don't like trawling through blog posts either. I just saw NS2 being released, watched some videos, read some things briefly, considered the special edition but the bonuses didn't appeal to me. (As far as I was concerned this game was coming out no matter what, I didn't realise it was resting on me to buy that - which it wasn't). I simply trusted that these guys would make an awesome game, based on previous experience with NS1.

I've got at least 5 friends to buy this game. I was telling everyone I knew about it when I first heard it announced, I just didn't particularly want the bonus content offered at the time. I wish I hadn't now if this is how I'm treated/rewarded. Accused of being an unsupportive disloyal player because I didn't read the forums and see that there would be female marines and they would have black armour. (Sorry that last part never happened).

I'm a grunt. Simple as. I want to be represented by the grunt of my choosing.

Time for another bashing from the fanboy devils advocates who don't really care about this as strongly as I do, and just want to argue :/
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I re-read everyone's posts including my own. No one here is accusing you of being unsupportive, we're merely stating that you decided on your own to choose your NS2 Edition choice based on what was known at the time. There is nothing wrong with that. But it was your choice to support or not support, and you already stated you based that choice on a male cosmetic item which you declined.

You will be able to chose your 'grunt' of your choosing. Only your armor is dependant on your purchase. If you purchased the standard edition, you will get standard female armor. If you purchased Deluxe Edition, you will (probably) get that option, and if you spent extra during the alpha edition, you will (probably) get Black Special edition armor.

Female armor will be given out for free as part of the next big content update. Those who decided to help UWE by buying the Special Edition who got Black male armor, will also (probably) get black female armor, as a thank you for helping UWE when they had NO game. UWE did not know they would even have a game, never mind the money and success to actually add a female marine. They did however design one years ago, and they were clear in their intentions. They did not post the female marine designs on the forums, they posted them on the main site back in 2006/2007.

While it's unfortunate your original NS2 support level has stopped you from gaining the cosmetic item you now desire, UWE could not predict they would even get to this stage to create such an item. In my opinion, offering the female black armor for those who did support early on seems fair. It is great that you have supported the game and told your friends because you seem to have enjoyed it. It would be a shame your enjoyment would be lessened due to a cosmetic colour, as you will be receiving at the very least, standard female marine for free :)
    edited August 2013
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I re-read everyone's posts including my own. No one here is accusing you of being unsupportive, we're merely stating that you decided on your own to choose your NS2 Edition choice based on what was known at the time. There is nothing wrong with that. But it was your choice to support or not support, and you already stated you based that choice on a male cosmetic item which you declined.

You will be able to chose your 'grunt' of your choosing. Only your armor is dependant on your purchase. If you purchased the standard edition, you will get standard female armor. If you purchased Deluxe Edition, you will (probably) get that option, and if you spent extra during the alpha edition, you will (probably) get Black Special edition armor.

Female armor will be given out for free as part of the next big content update. Those who decided to help UWE by buying the Special Edition who got Black male armor, will also (probably) get black female armor, as a thank you for helping UWE when they had NO game. UWE did not know they would even have a game, never mind the money and success to actually add a female marine. They did however design one years ago, and they were clear in their intentions. They did not post the female marine designs on the forums, they posted them on the main site back in 2006/2007.

While it's unfortunate your original NS2 support level has stopped you from gaining the cosmetic item you now desire, UWE could not predict they would even get to this stage to create such an item. In my opinion, offering the female black armor for those who did support early on seems fair. It is great that you have supported the game and told your friends because you seem to have enjoyed it. It would be a shame your enjoyment would be lessened due to a cosmetic colour, as you will be receiving at the very least, standard female marine for free :)
    At the end of the day there will always be people who agree or disagree. I'll agree to disagree with you. There's no point in arguing since you can't understand what I am saying. I understand you believe the original pre-order was for black armour full stop regardless of gender. I also understand you believe the original pre-order had nothing to do with the bonuses but was about supporting NS2 development.

I've rebutted both of those reasons.

1. We were shown pictures of what we would unlock. Those pictures were of a male marine in black armour. There was no indication that it might have extra hidden rewards some time in the future. I could compromise and say original backers should have the female black armour unlocked for free, but other players should have the option to unlock it (just female) for like £10 or something. I would pay £10, maybe even £20.
    2. If you only care that the game was supported and released you shouldn't even care if the black armour was given away for free afterwards.

No matter which is your reason, 1 or 2.. there's no logic or fairness in it.

To tell you the truth I loathe exclusivity. If I made a game I wouldn't want anyone to feel like this. All of my players would have equal opportunity to get anything. If I sold something as limited edition, then added something else to it, I would then make the addition available to everyone else for the same limited time period.

The thing is they have done that already with the deluxe armour. People who didn't buy deluxe before but might want it now have the opportunity to do so. Black armour? No, no opportunity. Something must be done to accommodate.

I feel like a complete idiot, I actually got a work colleague really interested in NS2 today. I really shouldn't have.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    I have the black armor.

I use the standard armor.

edit: 100% using my constellation icon in-game though.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It is unfortunate that you passed up the opportunity to get the spec ops armour. But that black armour is a gift for those of us who supported what many at the time considered to be vaporware. The upcoming addition of the female marine changes nothing.

It's possible that someone around here still has a special edition key which they never used and might be looking to sell. But for UWE to sell black armour for the female marine as a seperate item would be wrong.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    foxyfennec wrote: »
    How was it offered to them but not offered to myself? I didn't see that offer anywhere. You can't retroactively want something which wasn't there to want in the first place.

Time for another bashing from the fanboy devils advocates who don't really care about this as strongly as I do, and just want to argue :/

...Something must be done to accommodate.

TBH, seems like you're wanting to argue more, doesn't seem like you wanna get on the same page. Why should you be accomodated over every other player? Players w/ male green armor that would like black - out of luck too. It's quite obvious black armor was limited to early supporters regardless of the gender. They only had one marine model then, so what do you expect? I suffer from chronic broke-ness, so had to wait for first sale I noticed to finally get the game, thus I have standard armor. Doesn't affect my game play or aaaannnyyything else.

Anyways how does you and EVERY SINGLE OTHER person who can no longer get black armor affect the game you play at all enough to constitute you regretting telling a coworker about it? It's the same great game that you obviously enjoy or you would not be posting on the forums here.

Not sure what else to say except that, sorry, you're out of luck. You did not support the game PRE-release, neither did I, so we have standard or dlx armor as options. Them's the rules.

Hope you will continue to enjoy the game, you can always browse workshop for different skins.

Of course I want my point validated. Ultimately whether my point is validated or not I am the only one affected, so I don't know why you care so much.
    edited August 2013
    < - - - - - - -
    I'm trying a new tactic.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Why do you want black armour anyway, it's not like you're ever going to see your own model in game :/
  • AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    I'm torn on this one. Some ideas...

What if someone had correctly predicted that the black armor would be applied to the female marine and used that as the impetus to support the game? Would they be rightfully upset if people could buy it now?

I think that it would be reasonable for UWE to roll out specials that people can sign up for, like the way LoL does LE skins, but I also understand that it's reasonable to say that black armor was such a limited edition item, even if the application to the female marine is new.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Download a Steam Workshop skin that makes you look like whatever you want to look like. Problem solved.
  • AWhiteAWhite Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61685Members
    TC's got it ^^

Although UWE could do a DLC of "veteran" skins with a new look for male/female marines and each of the aliens. As long as the rigs match its not too many man-hours to put together.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited August 2013
    Would be a lot better if UWE just released more sets of armor since they already promised black armor is for early supporters so no going around that. I mean we all know there is always a market for that sort of thing.

Plus from my experiences when recommending the game, every time people inquire about the deluxe armor they are immediately turned off by the visor.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    People who pre-ordered the game received the black armour itself, not the marine inside it. The marine belongs to everyone, just as the female marine does. Now that female marines are introduced, the armour can be worn by either the male or the female marine. It has nothing to do with the gender of the marine. If you don't have it, your female marine cannot wear it.

If you chose not to buy the game in pre-alpha because of whatever reasons, you're not entitled to retroactive bonuses because the game is now more suited to your liking. The female marine can, in your case, be considered a graphics boost. If the game, instead of a female marine being introduced, suddenly rendered textures more accurately and beautifully, and that was the reason you now wanted to buy the game, would you demand to be able to purchase the black armour since you didn't want to waste your money back in the day on a black armour that couldn't be worn in a cool environment? "Black armour in a shiny corridor was never promised, only a black armour in an ugly corridor, that's why I want the black armour now". You wouldn't because that would be ridiculous. In the case of the female marine you will, because now you can go around spouting "sexist" as if that would make your argument more viable.

Back in pre-alpha the game was shitty. Black armour in a non-shitty game was never promised. I didn't see that offer anywhere. You can't retroactively want something which wasn't there to want in the first place, right?

Ridiculous.

As a disclaimer, I don't have the black armour and I'd very much like to have it. But I can't have it. And this is how it should be.
  • HoodyhooHoodyhoo Join Date: 2008-10-16 Member: 65217Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE also said that they are trying to find additional, but fair (as in not pay-to-win) ways to fund the game now that it is out. I think new armor kits would be a great way to do this. I was a pre-alpha purchaser, and like others here, would feel it a slap to the face if they started giving it away. As Therius stated in so many words, the pre-alpha phase was a gamble. We knew the vision, but the current state of the game was no where near it and there was no guarantee that the game would be any good at all. But early backers knew the previous game was great and had faith that the next one would be too. So we invested and were given a gift for doing so as a thanks for a leap of faith. I appreciate that, and I am thankful that they poured efforts into the game to make it what it is to day. I personally do feel my contributions paid off in the end, and am very happy with the progress the game has made. I wear my black armor with pride having been an early contributor.

That being said, there's no reason that new armor kits couldn't be released in the future. I don't think it would be right for them to sell the female skin (which they don't seem to be doing anyway), but other cosmetic skins are fair game. Skins are purely cosmetic and so they wouldn't promote pay-to-win and they also provide the opportunity for new comers to receive exclusivity by having something that not everyone else has. Black armor aside, I for one would probably make a few armor purchases if I saw some that really looked cool.

And in case some see this post as me advocating UWE nickling and diming us to death - bear in mind that releasing patches and maintaining servers takes money and man hours. If they don't get paid, they can't keep supporting the game. Releasing cosmetics for a few bucks every now and again would be my idea on how they can help solve that problem while providing the additional benefit of giving us cool new armor and content - thus keeping the game fresher.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Damn EA, people complain about free updates now, they want payed DLCs.
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    I agree with Hoodyhoo. If UWE needs to expand their revenue stream then this is an acceptable option. I'm more than willing to pay 3-5 bucks for optional armor sets. I can understand if the Black Set stays founder only but surely there are additional cosmetic options that could be implemented without getting silly.

Almost forgot the obligatory Gorge plushie request.