Server Redirection / Reserved Slot Hell

XeperwocKyXeperwocKy Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186548Members
Hurry up and blacklist redirection server mods. Five minutes of connecting and kicking is not exciting game play.

Which server my client connects to is the choice and responsibility of me (the USER) not King Kahuna's admin team.

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Servers add it on because they feel it necessary (hint: it's not) but since it's their server it's going to happen. There's a lot of poor design around the implementations of reserved slots in general, but the ideal solution would be for a way to run a script on the client prior to joining, or at least prior to loading all the assets. I hope UWE looks into this because it would really allow for a much better game-finding experience if reserved slots could be handled without masking server limits or joining, loading and being kicked.

I know in NS1 there were many servers that handled reserved slots in a much smarter way. instead of keeping a slot open, it would just kick a likely candidate when someone with reserved slots joined by typing 'connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' in the console. this meant that a full server was actually listed as being full, instead of the 23/24 and you just get kicked. much better experience all around, and those with reserved slots could still have them, albeit with a very minor inconvenience of typing in the address of the server.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Ok, being kicked because a reserved slot player joined is WAY worse then being kicked when you joined... Imagine playing for 5-6 minutes and going fade then BAM Kicked for reserved slot.

Let the admin have their slot and maybe make a little bit of money...
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Hidden slots would be the ideal solution, but for the OPs problem, open console type disconnect.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    There was an old server, "geriatric ward" or something like that which would lock when all the open slots were filled.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    XeperwocKy wrote: »
    Hurry up and blacklist redirection server mods. Five minutes of connecting and kicking is not exciting game play.

Which server my client connects to is the choice and responsibility of me (the USER) not King Kahuna's admin team.

You have complete power over your choice to either play on a server or not. The owner of the server has every power to set every cvar, modlist, and white/blacklist of said server.

Its' respectable to not agree with the policy on the servers, but the newsflash is that they aren't your servers, and until they are, you have zero say over anything on them... so respectful disagreement is all you're 'entitled' to.

-Colt

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got banned from those servers today because I said the redirect was lame lol.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Your complaint doesn't entirely belong here. Link To KKG Forums <- try that for complaining about the (I agree) horrible redirection. Their server, their rules. BUT you do have a valid complaint to UWE: please allow us as clients to blacklist servers in our server list (other than favouriting everything then unfavouriting servers we don't like, which is the current workaround)!
  • XeperwocKyXeperwocKy Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186548Members
    This is the place to complain. Reserved slot implementation is broken and the duct tape server administration mod (shine) isn't working out for pubs.

A server mod should not have control over which servers I connect to for the purpose of operators funneling traffic where they want it. "We're out of cheeseburgers, please wait 5 minutes while be make you a taco."

I don't mind getting kicked in between games, or in the first 5 minutes. When you're 15 minutes in winning game as commander and you get kicked for slot reservation... you just don't feel like pubing anymore. Reserved slot mods throw a lot of games.

"My server my rules." My server is filled with bots 24/25, redirects in a loop and replaces all your textures with a hello kitty theme. Still like my rules?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    XeperwocKy wrote: »
    This is the place to complain. Reserved slot implementation is broken and the duct tape server administration mod (shine) isn't working out for pubs.

A server mod should not have control over which servers I connect to for the purpose of operators funneling traffic where they want it. "We're out of cheeseburgers, please wait 5 minutes while be make you a taco."

I don't mind getting kicked in between games, or in the first 5 minutes. When you're 15 minutes in winning game as commander and you get kicked for slot reservation... you just don't feel like pubing anymore. Reserved slot mods throw a lot of games.

"My server my rules." My server is filled with bots 24/25, redirects in a loop and replaces all your textures with a hello kitty theme. Still like my rules?

First of all a server mod is exactly for that, giving the the admin the ability to config the server to his needs. Secondly Shine is built completly modular, so everything is optional and also reserverved slots are optimal. Also shine supports different ways of reserved slots. Just ask the server admin to use the second mode (it adds a password to the server if all freeslots are used).
    And bots shouldn't count as Clients. And ofc rules a admin over a server, he owns him so he can do anything he wants. If you dont like how a server admin configs his server switch to another one (e.g i would never add reserved slots to my server or kick ppl to join my server)

But pls dont give Shine the fault it's a amazing mod making admins life in many ways easier.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Their server, their rules.

My client, my rules. I never want to follow redirects. By default obnoxious things should be disabled, or at the very least ask before redirecting.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hence the second half of my post... the ability to blacklist servers needs to be in the client. If people don't like a server, they can vote with their feet, but they need the tools to do that.
    I dare say there may be some players who like the redirect as they like those servers. Just because you and I don't agree, doesn't mean that functionality should be removed.
    incidentally, if you need to quit loading, bring up your console and type disconnect. Alternatively alt F4 and reload game works. Not ideal, but useful tips if you didn't already know them.
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Their server, their rules.

My client, my rules. I never want to follow redirects. By default obnoxious things should be disabled, or at the very least ask before redirecting.

Then type disconnect in the console if you don't like being redirected.