"Rookie Friendly" but half reserved?

KittenykatKittenykat Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186371Members
edited July 2013 in Server Discussion
So Tactical Gamer.com suddenly has their "Taunt - RS7" server set up with so many reserved slots that anyone above 16 players without a reservation gets kicked, but the server list shows like 21/23 and has the 'rookie friendly' tag and green color on the listing. If they're going to reserve slots that severely on a public server, they need to have their ability to display it as 'rookie friendly' revoked. :|

If they're going to host a tournament or something on the server, that's fine, but password protect the server so people know something's up instead of newbies spending 10 minutes getting their maps loaded up for the first time only to get booted out of the game immediately upon loading.

And that's another thing that's always bothered me, if a server is going to kick a player on joining anyways, why does the game still force you to load the whole damn thing first? :/

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    To your last question: Thats because there is no other way to realize it because of missing network interfaces. I would suggest to find another server if you dont like that reserved slots politic.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because the admins of those kinds of servers are horrible and should get out of my server browser and never come back.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    I play almost solely on the tacticalgamer servers, there are mods available that will show you how many slots are available on servers with reserved slots. I believe it's titled AVOID RESERVED SLOTS or something to that affect.

Anyways it is not on the server admins for the way that reserved slots are handled now, they have been asking for UWE to include the ability for the server to lie to the browser to show that the server is full even when there are slots available for paying members. The aforementioned mod is a step in that direction already.

If you do enjoy paying on the TG servers there are ways to get a semi-reserved slot at no cost to you if you visit their forums. Otherwise just keep your others favored servers hearted.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Montyp wrote: »
    Anyways it is not on the server admins for the way that reserved slots are handled now, they have been asking for UWE to include the ability for the server to lie to the browser to show that the server is full even when there are slots available for paying members.

Yeah, I believe UWE will be implementing something soon regarding reserved slots.. it's probably going to appear sooner rather than later

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    @Kittenykat - Many people agree and sympathize with you. See here, and here, and here.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Frankly, while i'm fine with whatever server owners want to pull since they pay for it and such, whether or not I agree/disagree with their practices-

Placing yourself in a new players shoes, dealing with all of the first time loads and getting your settings as you want them, then joining a "rookie friendly" server and being kicked for an unknown reason (or even if they are told it's reserved slots associated) is one of the single most frustrating things I can imagine beside being hated on by regulars for being a rookie.

It would be great if server owners would be considerate enough to disable a rookie friendly tag when they implement things that are, rookie unfriendly, such as this. But that's probably a long-lost hope.

Additionally, while sure there are mods and as someone previously mentioned a way to get less stress from a specific servers reserved slots on their forums, the question to be asked is:

Is it rookie friendly to have to download modifications to the vanilla game and go far out of your way to be able to play stress-free?

Also, yes I understand that UWE should implement something about reserved slots but-until that time is upon us, servers owners could change one small setting to plop a rookie unfriendly server off the green tag and save many-a-newb unnecessary stress and grief.