Progression?

xSHADOWxxSHADOWx Join Date: 2013-07-16 Member: 186149Members
Hey,

just wanted to share a few comments with you all, about the game.

Now, I'm not sure how you will all react to this, but nevertheless, I feel as though it's something I would like to address.
As we are all aware, the weapons, upgrades and equipment you receive, are all determined by how the Commander chooses to use his/her resources.

An issue I feel I have with the game, is lack of any long term progression. Sure you have the stuff you an buy in a match, but every match starts fresh, and you receive the most basic equipment, and are able to gradually gain more as the match progresses.

I feel as though implementation of things such as skins, modules, etc should be unlockable, through the use of experience points, via a level up system.

Or, another idea I had, was the use of a level up system whereby, you can exchange level up points for one-time use items, such as temporary speed boots, and heightened awareness for a short period of time.
Of course the issue of item/ability balancing must be very closely monitored, but it's certainly something I can see working quite well.

Example:

>Play a game
>Earn XP
>Level up = 1 level up 'point'/'token'
>Exchange 'points'/'tokens' for certain one-time use abilities. Better ones or just even different ones costing different amounts.

I certainly feel as though this will give the player a better feeling of being rewarded for their actions, and potentially increase the longevity of the game.

I am aware my ideas above may not mix too well with the direction of the game and community and are much easier said than done, but feel free to adapt it in any shape or form! Hell that's why I posted it here! :)
Any sort of long term 'goal' or reward etc would make me very happy. :p

Please share your thoughts below!

=)

Peace

Comments

• CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This isn't that type of game. Anything that effects gameplay based on how long you've played outside of your skill hasn't been viewed positively in this community, so far as I recall. It's been suggested that cosmetic options could be available, but that would be all, hopefully. What should motivate you to play is enjoying the game itself and/or trying to improve and taking satisfaction in saying "Wow, after playing x times I can definitely say I'm a better player." Once you notice that, no amount of flair stuff or gamer points should compare to that sense of "actual achievement."
  • xSHADOWxxSHADOWx Join Date: 2013-07-16 Member: 186149Members
    CragChrist wrote: »
    This isn't that type of game. Anything that effects gameplay based on how long you've played outside of your skill hasn't been viewed positively in this community, so far as I recall. It's been suggested that cosmetic options could be available, but that would be all, hopefully. What should motivate you to play is enjoying the game itself and/or trying to improve and taking satisfaction in saying "Wow, after playing x times I can definitely say I'm a better player." Once you notice that, no amount of flair stuff or gamer points should compare to that sense of "actual achievement."

Well it's a shame, it really is. I think that will be the main reason for the death of this game.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    xSHADOWx wrote: »

Well it's a shame, it really is. I think that will be the main reason for the death of this game.

I agree with both of you at the same time
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I agree the game could use something to retain players longer. A leveling system would be kinda cool but the unlocks could not be anything that would affect the game. Balance is to touchy to start throwing in randomness. New marine/weapon skin unlocks would be cool.
  • xSHADOWxxSHADOWx Join Date: 2013-07-16 Member: 186149Members
    mattji104 wrote: »
    xSHADOWx wrote: »

I agree with both of you at the same time

1st world problems ^.^ lool

• TerranigmaTerranigma Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71158Members
    I'ld love some kind of progression, though only cosmetic ones. I dislike the idea of unlocks in this game and am glad that NS2 is kind of oldschool in that aspect. Anyway, gaining EXP and leveling up would do the game some good I think, especially, because you could directly say how much time a given player has spent playing the game. It might not be an ideal indicator for his skill, but it could be some minor motivation to level up, even though, you might not gain any bonuses from it. But having this mere number could do some good, I think.

At least I like such rankings pretty much because the game keeps record of my achivements and they can be viewed by other players. Pretty much a rating like you got it in most MOBA games; stats themselves can motivate a player.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    OP this game will never be Call of Duty, we don't need people focusing on KDR or getting the highest score instead of teamwork.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like a progression, but instead of trading these earned xp points for one time abilities that can affect game play and give rise to all sorts of balancing issues, it would be nice to put them toward changing the colour of your marines suit, or adding certain features to an alien for example a crest for the lerk etc etc.