Naming the September Content Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Plougot wrote: »
    "To Dome with love"
    Whaaat ? Maybe woody allen is playing this game too, you never know...

I think you mean to Biodome with Love.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    My suggestion is
    NS2: Converge (verb)
    NS2: Convergence (noun)
    In lay terms, it means meeting at a point (could be seen as conflict fighting over map control, or how the community converge (get together) to make this game great)
    In genetic terms, it is where a phenotype (expressed trait) evolve to have a similar function though from different origins. eg. all the evolved traits (phantom, cara... are different phenotypes for one one purpose - exterminate marines.
    Other names I like are:
    Evolved
    Synthesis (I was think of this one, but someone beat me to it).

edit: grammar corrections.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    edited July 2013
    NS2: Bumparooski

edited for intent.
  • PlougotPlougot Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186361Members
    Can be "organic beauty" instead of "natural beauty", if you don't want to repeat the "natural" from "natural selection".
  • funkoolowfunkoolow Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15917Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    if a big feature like the linux support will be finally included, imho "TUX update" or "TUXdate" will capture attention of an enormous community better than anything else.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    Eugenix (Eugenics)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    The more I think about it, the more I think NS2:Eden works well. The only downside is that it has religious roots, and that has the potential to be divisive. But it does encompass both gardens and the inclusion of the female marine in one small, simple word. I'm sure someone here already mentioned it, but just in case they didn't, well here's my +1 for that :)

{edit: it was GorgeNapper on page 6}
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ey as long as she isn't created from his rib I'm fine with it, otherwise "nanites"
  • ricasantricasant Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186390Members
    NS2 FINESSE.
    The tenderness of controlled enviroment so a single plant can grow in.
    The delicacy and beauty hidden inside a hardened armor.
    The fine tune up, state of art, needed to code to linux.

I'll vote for NS2 FINESSE :)
  • GoE_NiGoE_Ni Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    The more I think about it the more I like Evolved / Evolution.
    It matches so well for all 3 updates you include.

Having a female makes the marines / human race complete. Instead of cloning / mitosis this helped our race to really evolve and become better at "survival of the fittest" or "natural selection"

The game evolved to run on Linux

Biodome is a more natural environment where we might get to see more of the "Evolution" that leaded to the Aliens

Biodiversity is nice to, but might be a better subtitle for a gardening simulator ;-)
  • aruametelloaruametello Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168371Members
    edited July 2013
    *snip * see Hugh's warning on the first page - Ironhorse
  • hoddmimeshoddmimes Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186396Members
    NS2 : Meiosis
    "Meiosis is a special type of cell division necessary for sexual reproduction"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    hoddmimes wrote: »
    NS2 : Meiosis
    "Meiosis is a special type of cell division necessary for sexual reproduction"
    I see ;))
    edited July 2013
    *snip * see Hugh's warning on the first page - Ironhorse
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hehehe calling it super instantly reminds me of something like Super Natural Selection Bros (black and green armoured marine)

omg. You're just full of fantastic modjam ideas
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hehehe calling it super instantly reminds me of something like Super Natural Selection Bros (black and green armoured marine)

omg. You're just full of fantastic modjam ideas
    Hmm might want to make a list for when there is another modjam, I guess... *Get's pen and paper* I'm old fashioned that way...
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    Eden and Finesse sound good.

From the ones you posted I can only say that I DON'T LIKE: Biodiversity, Morphosis, and Augmentation. They're too long and... blunt. They're not sharp.

Also, I think you should do a separate update for Linux support so you can focus on solely that. From what other people say Linux has a massive community and I'd bet they would appreciate the attention.

P.S. Any really old fans here? Been around ages :)
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Natural Selection 2: Vote for Charlie 2014
  • InstrumentalityInstrumentality Join Date: 2005-05-01 Member: 50660Members, Constellation
    I like Biodiversity!
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    NS2: The Search for Bhop
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Hugh wrote: »
    Koruyo wrote: »
    Catalysis

Oh why HELLO there... Catalysis is really doing it for me. It is unique, has a melodic ring to it. Yes there are four syllables, but it is still quite a compact word. Very emotive. Definitely a word that can pique interest as being quite uncommon, quite interesting.

According to a formal definition, 'Catalysis' implies the acceleration of a reaction. That is hugely symbolic - It implies not just existing energy, but the addition of more energy. @Koruyo you might have hit the nail on the head here!

Glad you like it :)

PS: Also its a bit more neutral / not too "aliencentric" (Bio,Cell, Morph...)
  • sherriff_l0bOsherriff_l0bO Join Date: 2004-08-02 Member: 30308Members
    just waiting for acid rocket to justify 'Fade to Black'.
    maybe zygote/gamete with regards to female update, and the biodome or something regarding sexual reproduction...
    "NS2: Valkyries" (bonus: delivered with Wagner's music ! )
  • predat0r117predat0r117 Join Date: 2007-08-03 Member: 61756Members
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Do UWE actually pays for ideas ?

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Better re-add catalyst packs if the name of the next update is gonna be catalysis
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    Flora
    I like that one!

What about "Gaia" ?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    How about "BioCystem"

Biosystem: A living organism or a system of living organisms that can directly or indirectly interact with others.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/biosystem
    Short, not overly complicated, can be easily understood, even if you don't know exactly what it means, you can make a pretty good guess. Goes good with the new Cystem auto cysting. Marines and Aliens interact by fighting. Unique.
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members