Naming the September Content Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    NS2 : Emergence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence
    Emergence is the way complex systems and patterns arise out of a multiplicity of relatively simple interactions. Emergence is central to the theories of integrative levels and of complex systems.

It would signify the growth of the community and the new found performance and balance enhancements, all in one word that is not uncommon.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    culprit wrote: »
    NS2 : Emergence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence
    Emergence is the way complex systems and patterns arise out of a multiplicity of relatively simple interactions. Emergence is central to the theories of integrative levels and of complex systems.

It would signify the growth of the community and the new found performance and balance enhancements, all in one word that is not uncommon.

I like it a lot. It only is a little too similar to "Emergency", which has a negative vibe to it.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    This topic is a huge waste of time. Don't you have something useful to do?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Those last two are best

Emergence
    Reformation

But um, honestly. Now that he's said it...

Only 2.0 actually makes sense.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Symbiosis (rather commonly known term)

Equilibrium (overused?)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Locklear wrote: »
    NS2 2.0

This.

(Even though the BT implementation was the true NS2 2.0 :P)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Melancor wrote: »

Whose time does it waste? Hugh's five minutes to read through the names?
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    edited July 2013
    I'll try to say what I think as a French player (sorry for bad English).

Biodiversity
    -> Not a good idea imo, when you heard of biodiversity, it's always some politician/ecologist discussion that came to my mind so that's not the ideas suggested by a new awesome NS2 patch. Below some (almost) random google images with keyword biodiversity :
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXoLmGLv7dh9bnrwD2PSPGTGDiZlgX_j-s1Vw-QPO1XTGWQmIh8wbiodiversity2.jpg69576942.png

Reinforcements
    ->Not good imo because we don't get a new player class (for example a new lifeform) but a female marine (other have said it better than me)

Evolved
    ->I'm not sure about this one but it sounds like a overused dlc/patch name to me (even if it's not really)

Morphosis
    ->I get the idea but I don't like the "music" of this word (totally subjective).

Augmentation
    -> Don't like it but the world is transparent in french and it's often used about prices and raise in salary : definitely not the ideas conveyed by biodome or linux support ^^

I think a word about "roots" would be nice because build 250 is closer to ns1 than ns2 before (upgrade mechanism), the roots may be linked to Biodome with trees and plants, you can also came back to your "roots", your philosophy, what made Unknown Worlds such a good gaming company (example : design choices for female marines, free patches,...)
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS2- Paskaa Purkissa
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Biodiversity
    *voted*
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    plants/ jungle + female warriors... Amazons?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    Melancor wrote: »

Natural Selection 2: Sourpuss
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NS2: Expression

It works on many levels: genetic control, positive marketing, artistic meaning, and one for the dads: female marine inclusion!
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    are you guys actually planning on improving the experience later on?

if so, then save anything resembling 2.0/enhanced/evolved for when that actually happens

maybe in those 1% of games when all the stars align, NS2 is slightly more interesting/deep than before...
    but the other 99% of rounds are still garbage and will continue to be that way after a new map or marine model comes out
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    biz wrote: »
    are you guys actually planning on improving the experience later on?

if so, then save anything resembling 2.0/enhanced/evolved for when that actually happens

maybe in those 1% of games when all the stars align, NS2 is slightly more interesting/deep than before...
    but the other 99% of rounds are still garbage and will continue to be that way after a new map or marine model comes out

Don't worry for the next content patch UWE will remove all gameplay and change it into a cool looking and interactive multiplayer wallpaper for your desktop ;)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I heard they're implementing a new "biz mode" where an invitation is automatically sent to all div1 players to join the opposing team whenever biz starts playing.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Natural Selection 2: Synthesis.

Synthesis refers to two or more things combined to form something new.

+Female Marine combined with Male Marine form a new variant of the TSF squad.
    +Natural and floral world combined with the themes of man and science forms the theme of Biodome.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    September's NS2 Emergence; bringing new life with Biodome, the female marine, the new LuaJIT layer, new balance, augmentations and more. EMERGE!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Keep it coming people!
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    edited July 2013
    Zomb3h wrote: »

Whoa, they're working on a tranny model for the marines? I was thinking a linux version was pretty open minded but that really takes it. UWE is turning out to be a pretty awesome company.
  • TheDRTheDR Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181820Members
    Tharos wrote: »
    I'll try to say what I think as a French player (sorry for bad English).
    I think a word about "roots" would be nice because build 250 is closer to ns1 than ns2 before (upgrade mechanism), the roots may be linked to Biodome with trees and plants, you can also came back to your "roots", your philosophy, what made Unknown Worlds such a good gaming company (example : design choices for female marines, free patches,...)
    I don't personally like the sound of 'roots', but I do like the ideas behind the name.

Perhaps changing the idea to 'Rooted', as in 'Natural Selection 2: Rooted'.

It's original, sounds pretty cool and fits with the update (as Tharos explained). I can also see the update banner now, with roots growing all around the words, perhaps even an animated version with the roots growing to form the text.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    0ni wrote: »
    Zomb3h wrote: »

Whoa, they're working on a tranny model for the marines? I was thinking a linux version was pretty open minded but that really takes it. UWE is turning out to be a pretty awesome company.

Natural Selection 2: Sexual Sublimation
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    Natural Selection 2: False Advertising.

Seriously a mistake to bill this patch as including things that are already in game.
  • luqiusluqius Join Date: 2008-01-21 Member: 63462Members
    Natural Selection 2: Females, spit and tentacles
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Zali wrote: »
    Natural Selection 2: False Advertising.

Seriously a mistake to bill this patch as including things that are already in game.

I believe UWE should do whatever to draw players back into the game, which should be the main focus of this patch. Those that haven't been playing may not know about docking, or the new performance, even more so, older players who only touched on Gorgeous, wasn't their thing, and now this might be more palatable to bring them back. Old talent, and there's a lot of it dormant out there.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Hey UWE,

How about calling the content updates, "Free DLC Content Packs", instead of just "content updates". To me, this sounds a lot more value driven.

Here's some names from the top of my head:
    - Bio Hunt
    - Infected Growth
    - Revenge of Steel
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Natural Selection: Gaia

Goes with the female / biodome theme, what with the whole female thing and biodome being a literal birthplace of new life. Plus you can make a habit of naming all your content patches with a 'G'.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    NS2: Vive la Evolution

Gorge_Render_01.jpg

Long live the Evolution !
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Mutation
    Mitosis
    Heterozygous
    Educe
    Accession
    Assurgent
    Pathogenic