Need some advice from experienced players.

ToBeAdvisedToBeAdvised Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186290Members
Hello all, I am currently downloading NS2 and need some advice or tips. I've heard that the game has a brutal learning curve, so if any of you have any tips or things to remember for my first match it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
PS, looking forward to joining the ranks.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Find a rookie sever, there are alot ppl willing to teach you. My favorite tipp for new players is get a custom xhairs, it really helps. Otherwise listen to your teammates and everything should go fine.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Don't be afraid to experiment. Stay conscious of what tactics you're using so you can try new things, avoid the whole repeating your mistakes stuff.

Another tip: Turn your graphics settings down, it'll make the game more responsive and improve how well you play. Keep textures on high though, that won't hurt the responsiveness.

Oh and, while it's good to stick in groups, don't be afraid of moving out behind enemy lines, doing this will often give you lots of opportunities to hurt the opponent.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Find a better player on your team. Follow him. Build stuff for him and just watch where he puts himself in every situation.

The hardest obstacle to overcome in this game is learning the maps. If you don't know the maps then it's going to be really difficult and it will be for a while. Just enjoy the ambience and try to learn about how to move like the better players are moving
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Best advice, especially when coming from other symmetrical FPS games...

As marines, look up and down a lot. Teeth and claws come from there
    As aliens, stay of the floor and don't move in straight lines towards the marines
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Work as team, if u have a mic please use it.
    As a marine if u enter a room u want to check up high 1st then all around u, if u get parasited and feel there is to many places aliens can attack u from move back into the room before u put distance between you and the skulks try make them come at you in long narrow areas.

As aliens play skulk at distance use parasite (U should use this everytime before u engage before amrour 1 is done as then it only takes 2 bites to kill a marine instead of 3) and set yourself up to ambush te marine, if they not comming for for press C look at your map and see if u can flank the marine.

• SkyPirateSkyPirate Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146845Members
    Watch the latest competitive match's, and how to play YouTube videos. Next time you have a question about anything like this first check 1) google 2) youtube 3) try asking question in forums
  • ToBeAdvisedToBeAdvised Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186290Members
    Thanks for all your suggestions. When I get home I shall waste the whole afternoon on NA2. :D
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013
    If you're already good at aiming it will carry over, if not then that must be learned first.

As for anything else, simply watching a pov video from a scrim or league match (in first person) will pretty much teach you what you need to know

Things like movement and hiding spots on the map you'll learn as you go along, the game doesn't have a brutal learning curve.. I think the hardest curve is getting muscle memory aim which carries over with you to pretty much any game
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    General tips

1) Use your map constantly. It tells you a ton of information vital the field player needs to know.
    2) Shoot/bite resource towers. They are gold to the other team..you want them destroyed.
    3) Try to avoid force engagements in bad situations. Go around and flank if possible.
    4) Use your ears. So many marines/aliens are clueless when I clearly hear a threat about to attack. Learn what sound things make when walking/running.
    5) follow orders

Marine - never go any where alone and listen to orders that you are given. Shotguns are powerfull, buy them.

Alien- As skulk the idea is to ambush. You also should be jumping constantly, never just run flat on the ground. Use the floor, walls and celings in combat. The idea is to either go for a quick kill if you ambush them or make them waste bullets if they see you before you are in biting range.
  • KouDyKouDy Join Date: 2013-07-08 Member: 185990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eventho i am not rookie by status any more i still visit rookie servers. Yesterday we had round where our commander (alien) was really explaining step by step to one newbie what to do.
    Don't be afraid to ask.
    Communication is absolutely critical during the course of the games.
    I would say stay out of commander post in the beginning.
    Marines might have slightly less steep learning curve but that might be only my personal feeling.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I recommend you go commander early on. Get used to it, understand what a commander has to do, learn to communicate with the team.

Then when you're on the field you'll have an awesome understanding on what the commander probably wants done and can even help them along by rallying troops.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I agree with Ironsoul about going commander early. However, you want to make it clear to your team right away that you're new and are open to their suggestions/tips.

What I've found most often lately with the influx of new players is that they join a server mid-game and have no idea what's going on or what they should be doing. Rather than confuse them with details of map locations and whatnot I usually just tell them to find the enemy team's resource towers and destroy them.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Do not go commander early unless you've tried it once or twice with bots in the practice menu. Even if some people says it is ok (I usually do) moments later some guys start rageing, or as a low pop server gets filled people leave in anger and such.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    StormApan wrote: »
    Do not go commander early unless you've tried it once or twice with bots in the practice menu. Even if some people says it is ok (I usually do) moments later some guys start rageing, or as a low pop server gets filled people leave in anger and such.

Nobody wants to play with those rage gonads anyway. If a new player a) has a mic and b) communicates clearly that they're new and need help then anyone worth playing with will stick around and pick up the slack.
    Most new players can pick up the basics of commanding in 1 or 2 rounds if given enough helpful advice.
    However, if there's some douche know-it-all who does nothing but complain about why this or that isn't happening then, yeah, it won't go well.

• FearOfCalamariFearOfCalamari Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186298Members
    Spooge wrote: »
    StormApan wrote: »

Nobody wants to play with those rage gonads anyway. If a new player a) has a mic and b) communicates clearly that they're new and need help then anyone worth playing with will stick around and pick up the slack.
    Most new players can pick up the basics of commanding in 1 or 2 rounds if given enough helpful advice.
    However, if there's some douche know-it-all who does nothing but complain about why this or that isn't happening then, yeah, it won't go well.
    those guys need to be kicked anyways. Public servers are only for fun and noobs who don't know why some servers are green are expected to be there.

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally i think u should play around as marine commander on a practice server even for 30 mins, so that u can get to know everything and what they do, then hop onto a rookie friendly server and have some fun :)
  • ToBeAdvisedToBeAdvised Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186290Members
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I've played heaps of games and commanded a solid 10 people. We eventually lost, but a few said I was doing well for my first command. Thanks all!
    PS. I love the game :D
    Glad we can help and also happy to see u love the game. Now go out and tell everyone!!