Naming the September Content Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    Here's my suggestions:

Natural Selection 2: Biomass (this ties in with the new biodome map, so the patch promotional video could have a greenish alien color scheme to it). Not a bad name as suggested above.

Natural Selection 2: War (or a variation of that, like "Warzone")

Natural Selection 2: Reloaded

Natural Selection 2: Ascension

Natural Selection 2: Octane

Description tag would be something like: Linux - DirectX 11 - OpenGL support. New weapons, new female marine, new maps, new strategies and tactics, increased performance. 100s of changes and tweaks, the war for survival continues.

Personally I like the "War Update" since many new strategies have evolved like it would in a war that goes on over time, and its simple to someone who hasn't played NS2 to get the jist of what its about. "Biomass" is good too because its an interesting word, and implies growth. It's not "safe" and generic like the War update name is, but it could draw interest from that tagline.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Natural Selection 2: Mutated

A more efficient engine, a more streamlined game design, and tonnes of new content, all based on community participation to produce the next step in the evolution of Natural Selection 2!

• mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    The best I can think of is "Maturation".

I know it's already used in NS2, but I think it works nicely as a patch name.
    For one, it signifies "evolution" without using that by-now rather cliche term - it only works for a game about organisms like NS2, branding a CoD or BF game with "maturation" would only sound corny and ironic.
    Also, "ma-" hints at female stuff like "matriach" or "maternal".

otherwise: "Infusion" ?
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    MGILP - Mature Game I'd Love to Play

[You have to pronounce it like Homer Simpson when he encounters food and/or organized crime: Mmmmh-GILP!]
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    @Bicsum: i think femdom is not a good name just google(picture) it and you'll see why not

@BigRustyRed: i think bilbe chapters would be too ironic for some kind of christian people

'Catalysis' sounds good and works well imho but reminds me of WoW

Some ideas i had:
    -Survival of the Gorgest
    -Exon Shuffling
    -
  • lorenfisherlorenfisher Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166229Members
    Natural Selection 2: Phenotype

- Enlist the female marine
    - Now perfectly adapted for Linux, PC and Mac
    - Explore Biodome, as deadly as it is beautiful
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Natural Selection 2: Biodome Flower Power
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    BioMiss

Or BioMrs if you want to avoid the negative connotations of the word 'miss'
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Reformation

It has a good tone for the game, it implies that the game has been reformed and is playful about the upcoming female marine skin (equality).

I may be biased as to the impact of this word because I'm American, but that's my best so far
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Hugh wrote: »
    jo.toss wrote: »
    NS2: Mutation

I like 'Mutation.' It emotes in similar ways 'Morphosis' - though the word is perhaps a bit 'common?' Not sure...

Koruyo wrote: »
    Catalysis

Oh why HELLO there... Catalysis is really doing it for me. It is unique, has a melodic ring to it. Yes there are four syllables, but it is still quite a compact word. Very emotive. Definitely a word that can pique interest as being quite uncommon, quite interesting.

According to a formal definition, 'Catalysis' implies the acceleration of a reaction. That is hugely symbolic - It implies not just existing energy, but the addition of more energy. @Koruyo you might have hit the nail on the head here!

Then what will we call the update when Catalyst packs are finally added :(
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    How about...
    Natural Selection 2: Renascence

Natural Selection 2: Plants vs Aliens edition
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    NS2: Improved

Simple, in theme with evolving, implies significant positive changes to the game.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Biomass certainly fits in with Biodome and also fits in with the addition of a new, female character. Out of all the suggestions it is my favourite. I thought my one called "mutagenesis" was good because it is about the creation of mutations, but as Jekt astutely mentioned, the average person probably won't know what that word means without googling it.

But I don't know. It still doesn't mean anything, does it? Are we just looking for some word that vaguely relates to the update? Gorgeous made sense because the game had some graphical updates (gorge tunnels etc) and was the Gorge was changed greatly.

Let's rationalise this...It's about adding a new map called Biodome, the addition of a female marine and a lInux update.

I was thinking Femidome because it's got dome in it...female...and would attract a lot of attention. It would also show UWE in a positive light (although superficially) in a world in which much sexism against female gamers has occurred. On the other hand, it does sound like something you'd buy out of an Adult Store...

How about Biolab? Biodome. The female marine in particular is an individual and was revived in a lab...Linux implies something done with minimal programming and thus grassroots...lab.

Nothing seems catchy though. Perhaps mix catalysis with lab and make it an invented word - Catalab - a shortened version of catabolism. I must admit we are constrained by your criteria, Hugh...

How about Devolution? Devolution means the handing out of powers (crudely put). But here, you're devolving power to females, and Linux is goes against the grain (being Microsoft).

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    'Blossoming' or just Blossom' to capture the games general progress, the Biodome map and the young female marine exploring her body and.. nevermind, going off-topic.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Natural Selection 2: Phenotype

- Enlist the female marine
    - Now perfectly adapted for Linux, PC and Mac
    - Explore Biodome, as deadly as it is beautiful

Femotype?
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    StormApan wrote: »

NS2: Equality
    Aimed mostly at equality between sexes with added female marine.
    Short, simple word. Eyebrows will be raised plucked

FTFY 8->
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited July 2013
    GUYS IVE GOT IT everyone shut up shut your mouths

NS2: Genesis

(relevance to patch: adam and eve, male female rines, genesis is start of creation, biodome is all natural and about creation, genesis is biblical, the patch will be godlike, etc)

• crazypierrotmancrazypierrotman Join Date: 2006-10-12 Member: 58069Members
    For me it should be related to performance improvements of last builds.
    I like Catalysis, but i prefer Catalyst (good memories from ns1 catalyst packs!)
    In the same idea, it could be Adrenaline, or Celerity
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    How about a name that average steam guy Joe doesn't need to google first, hmm? A first impression impact is worthless if the definition of the word you're using to imply a new and improved version of your product needs to first be defined to the person you're trying to strike.

A lot of the names being proposed are terrible for this reason. Catalysis, while cute, isn't what I would use either. On top of it not being simple to define or even translate in relevance to an update - it's difficult to even pronounce.
    Agree.
    ...Still, the most important thing for me, is still missing.

An interactive, integrated, brief, enjoyable scripted tutorial map.

At the very least, remove the extremely outdated stuff.
    And when you find the time. A demo system.
    2 agrees makes an awesome, right?

I like Catalysis, but i prefer Catalyst (good memories from ns1 catalyst packs!)

Agreed that Catalyst would be better than Catalysis
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Natural Selection 2: Apex

(as in who is the Apex Predator, humans or aliens?)
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    mokkat wrote: »
    The best I can think of is "Maturation".

I read that as "Masturbation". :|
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2013
    uke wrote: »
    @Bicsum: i think femdom is not a good name just google(picture) it and you'll see why not

Searching news about the ns2 upgrade would be like forgetting the "R" in Gary Oldman.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My Random Ideas

Natural Selection 2: Progeny
    Natural Selection 2: Punctuated Equilibrium
    Natural Selection 2: Cladogenesis
    Natural Selection 2: Convergent
    Natural Selection 2: Nature (the next update could be Nurture)

Ideas I have read that I like:
    Biomass
    Catalyst
    Genesis
    Phenotype
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    few syllables it is:

Gaia/ Gaea/ Tellus/ Terra
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I vote for "Biogenesis" (which means "beginning of life") since it is the beginning of Biodome's life as a map in the NS universe. Plus, it sounds cool. ;)
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
    How about a name that average steam guy Joe doesn't need to google first, hmm? A first impression impact is worthless if the definition of the word you're using to imply a new and improved version of your product needs to first be defined to the person you're trying to strike.

A lot of the names being proposed are terrible for this reason. Catalysis, while cute, isn't what I would use either. On top of it not being simple to define or even translate in relevance to an update - it's difficult to even pronounce.

Out of the suggestions so far, I would vote for Biomass also. A simple word, alien-esqe, easy to read and pronounce in the head, ties together to the actual content of the update.

Edit:

As for the content its self, I'm pretty interested in some of it. Female marines, biodome and a linux client/server are all very worthy additions when trying to do some marketing. Still, the most important thing for me, is still missing.

An interactive, integrated, brief, enjoyable scripted tutorial map.

At the very least, remove the extremely outdated stuff.
    And when you find the time. A demo system.

I agree with Jekt on this. He's listing proper reason for his choices and for his denies. "Biomass" also sounds like an update rather then an overhaul or such things.
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
    peregrinus wrote: »

(relevance to patch: adam and eve, male female rines, genesis is start of creation, biodome is all natural and about creation, genesis is biblical, the patch will be godlike, etc)

When speaking of "Genesis" it sounds like a new beginning or something that's been completely redone to me. Since this is an update rather then such, I don't believe Genesis accurately helps in defining this new upcoming content.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've got two more:

- Biogenesis or more specific Phylogenesis

- Phyta (is a suffix used to term plant organisms. It is both biologic and has a very female sound to it)

peregrinus wrote: »

I think Biogenesis (= life arising from preexisting life) is the better choice and a really good fit for the patch. I wouldn't go all biblical. And if UWE does, I demand they implement god-mode!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    mattji104 wrote: »

Agreed that Catalyst would be better than Catalysis

Then they'd have to rename Command Chairs into Control Center! The new Catalyst Control Center! Improved performance! ... well... noone would believe them...

I don't really have a suggestion of a name, but if these big updates are going to be a "thing" I would suggest doing something similar to what eve-online does with their free expansion updates, they have a naming scheme for their patches naming them after bible chapters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online

We could choose one chapter out of The Origin Of Species for each update: "Variation under Domestication" or "Struggle for Existence" or "Natural Selection". Yea, that one is really great, can't believe I didn't think of that one before: Natural Selection 2: Natural Selection!

No, seriously, there is one chapter with a fitting name:

Natural Selection 2: Instinct

Love that one!!!