Naming the September Content Update - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    edited July 2013
  • jo.tossjo.toss Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164854Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2013
    NS2: Mutation - Alien sided. I also like the sound of "Evolution"

NS2: Origins - The way that updates have been progressing lately with going back to basics could fit nicely (Also make NS_Origins official!!!!!!!!)

NS2: Influx - the number of aliens is too damn high!!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    In Entspeak:

BLEERRRRGGLLLLLLWEEEERRRRKKKKKLLLLLLL

Or basically "Germination" in English. This process can allow plants to break rocks over time.
  • StripetailsStripetails Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182644Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2013
    NS2: Rēvolution.

It puts so many images in your head it may explode!

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2: Rēvolution.

It puts so many images in your head it may explode!

viva la éjection!

• KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    NS2: Frontier - because new maps and new Frontiersmen.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Catalysis / Catalyst / Catalyzed

Not getting the "thats it" vibe, but better than nothing i guess...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    jo.toss wrote: »
    NS2: Mutation

I like 'Mutation.' It emotes in similar ways 'Morphosis' - though the word is perhaps a bit 'common?' Not sure...

Koruyo wrote: »
    Catalysis

Oh why HELLO there... Catalysis is really doing it for me. It is unique, has a melodic ring to it. Yes there are four syllables, but it is still quite a compact word. Very emotive. Definitely a word that can pique interest as being quite uncommon, quite interesting.

According to a formal definition, 'Catalysis' implies the acceleration of a reaction. That is hugely symbolic - It implies not just existing energy, but the addition of more energy. @Koruyo you might have hit the nail on the head here!

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Maybe this is not the right place to ask, but I'll do it anyway; are there any other big things planned for the september upgrade? While a female marine model and a new map are great stuff, they won't exactly affect gameplay. Third alien upgrade? New marine weaponry? Balance changes? Welding maplocations?
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Please not evolved! Big franchises like BF took all the punch out of that word as far as marketing goes. Evolution ("evolved") has been done to death :)

I quite like Morphosis and Recombination. And Ripley!

I can't come up with something better than:
    - Antistasis (it's complicated, but it has a nice rythm to it)
    - Drift (has a few too many negative implications. But it's catchy and also hints at biology --> genetic drift)

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Oh I just noticed it said September. I thought it was going to be released with the tournament on august 24th. :-<
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2 - building better worlds
  • Kenshir0Kenshir0 Join Date: 2013-02-25 Member: 183347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If a new map and a female marine model is the only thing in the update then call it : bullshitupdate or you can also call it onosworthlesslifeformatm cuz it is
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "The bonus situation"
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    But Evolved update also sounds good
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    edited August 2013
  • rgonomikergonomike Join Date: 2013-02-16 Member: 183114Members
    edited July 2013
    Since it's a big update, how about "Exuvia"?
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    I just thought of another:

- Synthesis or Synopsis

I really like these. They comprise the state the game has come to, the many alterations that had to be made to get it to where it is now. I imagine after this update support for the game will somewhat slacken and we won't see any major overhauls like bt from this point on. So, Synthesis/Synopsis really incorporate that in a positive fashion. It also has a sciency sound to it, which is always a good thing for a sci-fi game.

And Synthesis is part of the word photosynthesis, which fits nicely with Biodome, the biggest feature of the new patch.

The only drawback is, that they might be a little too tame and theoretical in nature for a game like NS2. Nevertheless, either of those or Recombination or Morphosis has my vote.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    Content update of a map and a female marine model that no one really cares about?

Not surprised that you filled an entire page with writing about what to call the update, cause there isn't really much to write about for this 'content' patch.

Pretty disappointed.

You have a community that has created tonnes of awesome content which would probably give you the rights to for a token fee and you could integrate that into the game.
    - ns2_jambi - far superior to mineshaft/refinery
    - Badge mod
    - Combat, and all the maps that go along with it
    - Administrative mods for managing servers

I'm happy that you're re advertising the integration of LuaJIT & balance mod, that's a good decision.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Content update of a map and a female marine model that no one really cares about?

Not surprised that you filled an entire page with writing about what to call the update, cause there isn't really much to write about for this 'content' patch.

Pretty disappointed.

You have a community that has created tonnes of awesome content which would probably give you the rights to for a token fee and you could integrate that into the game.
    - ns2_jambi - far superior to mineshaft/refinery
    - Badge mod
    - Combat, and all the maps that go along with it
    - Administrative mods for managing servers

I'm happy that you're re advertising the integration of LuaJIT & balance mod, that's a good decision.

ns2_jambi is nice and I think too that they should add more modded content to the official game but they have to keep a limit of maps for competitive gameplay
    Badge are fun but maybe not mandatory even if they could help to see if there are mods/admins
    Combat they made a big announcement and the mod is the official combat for ns2
    Administrative mod could be added but they might not have the time that modders have to improve them

For the update I'd say NS2 Beefed Up Edition :p
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited July 2013
    How about Biomass?
    Sounds cool and fits the balance mod as well as the Biodome theme, and implies NS2 has a lot of content now.

Or NS2: Gorgeous II: Electric Boogaloo
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited July 2013
    What's with the interest in some off the wall name that someone will have to look up to figure out what it means, hugh?

A more "common" word would peak the interest of the random masses of people better. Isn't your goal to get more people to buy this game?

The Gorgeous update was a good one in that regard. Not only was it a common word, but the variation made it a play on words relating to NS2.
    I've got two more:

- Biogenesis or more specific Phylogenesis

- Phyta (is a suffix used to term plant organisms. It is both biologic and has a very female sound to it)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    *sniffle* what about gerrrnades? n gorge webs?

super excited for biodome, though! need more diverse maps!
  • ponpatponpat Join Date: 2011-02-04 Member: 80273Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might sound weird but I would love something like "free spreading". I think the word free is great for the Linux community which know "free as in freedom" (and loves if games spread to their platform) and also it takes the "free decision to select your gender" into account. Also I think the new map gives an alien player the feeling of spreading the base in a very free way. I mean it just looks like a map you want and you have to invest. Also with the performance improvements you did lately I think spreading is good to tell "now even people with not that good machines can play it!". Just my 2 cent.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I would love to see it called the "Ascension" or "NS2: Ascends" patch. 3 or less syllables, catchy, implies growth. It also keeps clear of words people would need to look up to understand... it keeps things plain and simple... we ascend!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    NS2: Chrysalis [EDIT: Gooshy suggested this already on page 1!]

The vehicle for transformation from the larval stage to, say, a beautiful butterfly or delicate moth. NS2 has been eating away, preparing bit by bit and now it's time to fly! :)

• BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NS2: Political Correctness Update