Naming the September Content Update - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNaming the September Content Update - Natural Selection 2

In September, Natural Selection 2 will be receiving a new ‘content update.’ Like the Gorgeous Update before it, this update will include new content, features, and improvements. The biggest features are Biodome, a luscious and unique new map (See screenshots in the May and June SoD posts) , the female marine, and (fingers crossed) Linux support. Gorgeous was a great name for an update. It captured the ‘Gorge-centric’ nature of many of the features, and referenced the graphical improvements made to Spark. This time around, we want to use another awesome name. A name is important. It gives a focal point from which to promote the update. It makes it much easier to get press attention. It allows us to …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bumpity-ump for comment thread
  • davehdaveh Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178731Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I say evolution because the game is coming along awsome
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    +1 for Evolution. Just "fits" the Natural Selection theme. Simple, easy to say, easily shortened, least amount of syllables. Fits the criteria "brief", and intriguing. Even though the most picked in the office might not fit the criteria. ;)

OR, the "Gorgeous Evolution" update. Maybe "Bioevolution"

If not, Biodiversity would be good too.
  • munkeyspaynkmunkeyspaynk Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172801Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
  • doctorcheesedoctorcheese Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186315Members
    edited July 2013
    *SNIP* Any suggestions that inappropriately reference the inclusion of the female marine will be met with the banhammer. The zero-tolerance applied to the announcement thread will be applied here as well. This is the first, and only warning to everyone to keep the borderline-sexist wisecracks in the bag.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ripley Update
    aww yeah
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
  • GCshepardGCshepard Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186316Members
    edited July 2013
    What pops to my mind is "Integration", as the update integrates the female population into the human army's ranks, (as well as integration of Linux support?). "Integration Update" may not sound as flowing as "Evolution Update" though, or "Biodiversity Update".
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Augmentation, Biodiversity, and Reinforcements all have four or more syllables, which irks me when imagining having to fit this on banners and in articles. 'Natural Selection 2: Evolved' is already very long, and that's only two syllables!

Though I do enjoy the fact that Augmentation does not evoke either the marine or alien side, which is appropriate given the love that both have received since Gorgeous.

My favourite at the moment is Morphosis. It implies structural change and organic development, much as the word 'Evolution' does, but it is more unique and less 'cringeworthy' when combined with the game title.

It is not a common word, and many spell-checkers will demand its combination with 'meta.' This makes it intriguing. The sound as it comes of the tounge is emotive. At three syllables it strikes a nice balance between some of the others. It even reminds me of Morpheus, and anything to do with Morpheus is a win.

Top suggestion so far from Facebook: Floofy Bunnies.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Verdurous update? Flora?
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited July 2013
    The last big content update took its name from a play off the gorge. Seems like the next name should have a little bit of a marine/industrial theme?

My suggest is something like Sledge Hammer, or something else that sounds weighty :)

edit: also Anvil Drop :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Anthesis - n. Time of flowering
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorge Plushie Update
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    My favourite at the moment is Morphosis. It implies structural change and organic development, much as the word 'Evolution' does, but it is more unique and less 'cringeworthy' when combined with the game title.

lol what?

"Morphosis" is far more cringeworthy than "Evolution". Actually, "Evolution" is a perfect fit for a game with the title "Natural Selection" and it is a far more relatable word to the general mass of people than Morphosis.

My vote is for Evolution. +1

• shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    scientifically_proven-9437.gif

but in all seriousness: accession, amplification, amplify, asphyxiation, strangulation, calisthenics, cardiomyopathy, abstraction, predatorydinoflagellates, Zimbabwe, and nepenthesramispina.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    My favourite at the moment is Morphosis.
    you totally got that from that glossary of evolution terms I linked didn't you

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I would suggest Biosphere. The term applies to both organisms (female Marine) and the environment (Biodome), and makes a subtle reference to UWE's motto: "Unite the World through Play".
  • GooshyGooshy Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186317Members
  • ZoxufZoxuf Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186318Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    call it: 1 map per half year
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Natural Selection 2 - Recombination

Derived from "genetic recombination", a genetic process that (together with mutations) leads to new combinations of genes and features within a population. It has four syllables, but it's easy to pronounce and catchy. Fits perfect, doesn't it?
  • AyanomooseAyanomoose Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185153Members
    How about "Balance"
    Res wrote: »
    lol what?

Given the proximity of the word 'Evolution' to 'Natural Selection' in the subtitle of Darwin's seminal work, there is objective awkwardness in using it as a name for an update to this game. You appear to be referencing a subjective dislike for the word 'Morphosis,' which while relevant certainly does not warrant 'lol what'ing me.
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    I would suggest Biosphere

That is certainly a nice word, and three syllables it definitely 'fits.' Though perhaps the update will be better referenced by a word that implies some degree 'progression,' 'development,' and 'flux.' 'Biosphere' is quite a static word.
    moultano wrote: »
    Anthesis - n. Time of flowering

This is very cool - Oddball, off-centre words like 'Anthesis' are emotive and intriguing. Perhaps there are some other ones like this? Suggestions outside English would be very welcome!
    Katana- wrote: »
    The last big content update took its name from a play off the gorge. Seems like the next name should have a little bit of a marine/industrial theme?

That is definitely a very valid argument, though I want to present this update as inclusive of everything since Gorgeous, which includes lots of alien stuff as well (see blog post). Rather than giving it a 'marine' or 'alien' flavour, a name that captures the essence of 'progression,' 'growth,' and 'improvement' in an emotive way would be more fitting.

The character of the Gorge is strong and engaging, which allowed it to carry the 'narrative' of the Gorgeous update on its own. A marine specific name would lack that strength as the marine side does not posses such emotive characters.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Endurance
    Stamina
    Resilience
    Perpetual
    Chrysalis
    Awakening
    Vigor
    Sedulous
    hyperactive
    Primal
    Verdant
    Renaissance
    Indefatigable
    Amaranthine
    Botanic
    Rapacious

I started out with a few words that I thought of and then the thesaurus gave me so many more. I like Verdant. Basically means fresh, green, and alive. Not catchy though. I like the word amaranthine, which is new to me, but a little big for you application although the meaning seems perfect to me. Out of all those words the two basic themes are rebirth and everlasting.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    I liked biodiversity, until i figured out the connection to the female marine >_>

Evolved is better, cause the game is totally different from a few months ago.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    The Augment | Momentum | Unravel Update
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited July 2013
    .....objective awkwardness ......

No, it's entirely a subjective awkwardness.

I'd say you are referencing a subjective dislike for the word Evolution, even though it fits perfectly for a title, regardless if it's used in Darwin's book, which actually makes it even better.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Momentum is good
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    The Augment | Momentum | Unravel Update
    Momentum is good.
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    RedDog wrote: »
    "RedDog" - You're welcome.

Hahahaha