re-use of geometry selection

fragglerfraggler Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185588Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2013 in Mapping
Hello again,

maybe this is a stupid beginner question...
Watched now serveral tutorials and read serveral threads but I can not figure this out...

Actually the question is: How do you "cut off parts" of a face to build for example a window on that face.
Is there are way to copy that "window" to re-use it without redrawing it?

... for understanding I have attached some screenshots of my problem.

Screen 1) I create a face.
Screen 2) I create a selection on that face.
Screen 3-4) I'm now able to select the inner face and the outer face... and delete the "inner" to create for example a window/hole.
Screen 5) I copy & paste the "inner face".
Screen 6) I'm now not able to select the outer or inner face seperate.

Is there a easy way to handle it, without redraw every "window" on the "main face"?
(of course for simple retangles that would be no problem, but I have a little more "complex" geo that I want to re.use to cut some holes/windows in one wall)

If I missed a tutorial explaining how to handle this task - please give me the link. :)

Thank you! :)

Best Regards

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Because it's not actually on that bigger face. Thats why you can't delete it. Whereas the other one is actually drawn on the face.
    uXGdPkp.png
    After deleting the bigger face
    dLgUOqe.png
  • fragglerfraggler Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185588Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I know that! Thanks.... :)

My question was actually if it is possible to "add" the selection to the "bigger face" to "cut" a second hole in the "bigger face".

For example - you have a wall.
    And you want to "cut" several "same" holes/windows in that wall (with more complex geometry than a simple quater).
    How do you manage that without redrawing the complete wall / each window step by step?

Hope it is now more clear what I mean :)
  • fragglerfraggler Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185588Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That should be (only example) the end-result. :)
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I could be wrong, but I believe the answer is no. In Hammer there was the carve tool which could kinda help with things like this. At this point I do not believe there is any way to easily do what you're asking, you have to manually recreate it.
    Hmn okay, thanks!

I think:
    Some kind of "attach selected borders to wall" function would speed up such tasks.

... but then I have to deal with it and have to re-draw every wall where I want windows. =/
    Thought maybe there is a faster solution ...
    In future I have to keep that in mind when I plan rooms or floors. =/
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    You could split the initial face in half. Make your window. Then copy/paste that windowed wall segment. So instead of one face with 2 windows. You'd have 2 faces each with a window.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Heres a quick Vid of the method I use.

• PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    @quixxer Nice video! Short, to the point, and with eerie music. Also nice use of the editor.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited July 2013
    QwiXXeR wrote: »
    Heres a quick Vid of the method I use.

Great vid Qwix. I just want to highlight the very important step of welding your vertices there!

This problem is solved more efficiently by watching the size of the square you create (it says X by Y size in bottom right as you hold it) and create that twice.
    Thank you Guys!
    Special thanks to Qwixxer! :)
    edited July 2013
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    This problem is solved more efficiently by watching the size of the square you create (it says X by Y size in bottom right as you hold it) and create that twice.

@DarkSeraph suggestion is ofcourse better if you have simply shapes, so here is part 2

• KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    edited July 2013
    My way of doing it might be a little faster than yours. See for yourself:

I simply copy the shape to some other place on the face, like you did. (2)
    Then i simply pick a vertex and draw 2 lines, one horizontal, the other vertical. (3)
    What i do next is delete the vertex that i used to draw those 2 lines. (4)
    After that you have to use the 2 floating vertices to recreate the vertex you deleted. (5)
    Now use the recreated vertex to remake the shape you wanted to copy. (6)
    Only thing left to do now is delete the face inside the shape, and remove the 2 remaining vertices that you created in picture (3)

Tada!

The weird part is i don't even play the game. I just .. really like the editor...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png
    Also very nice!
    Thanks!
    Wow.. So @Krozu 's way of doing it just blows mine completely out the water!, love it :P.

I just had to make a video to show the process.

• KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    Nothing beats a video.
    Good thing you're not as lazy as me!