MAJOR sync issue. (Half solved)

leonzzo4leonzzo4 Join Date: 2013-07-16 Member: 186136Members
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
About 4 months ago...natural selection came out on the steam free weekend deal. I played it for the weekend but didnt buy it and left it installed on my computer. I just got the game yesterday and it still has my account from 4 months ago with the start screen glitched I have no idea what to do ifs tried reenstalling and everything.... if you can get me on steam this is my profile http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023850480/

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Hi Leon, have you tried to delete the NS2 folder in this directory?

C:\Users\Your Computer's Name\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

It may contain outdated shaders from the free weekend. Delete then try starting NS2 again (if currently installed).
  • leonzzo4leonzzo4 Join Date: 2013-07-16 Member: 186136Members
    edited July 2013
    I do nt have appdata on my files... any other way to delete the thing?
    I have a windows 7 if that helps
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    It may also be possible you'll have to enable viewing of hidden folders and files to access appdata, which you can find in the windows control panel tab "Appearance and Personalization" under folder options you should see a button that says "Show hidden files and folders"

Edit: What spectacular timing.
    edited July 2013
    Just delete evrything there?
    There is only cache log and systemoperations like yours but nothing else
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Yup, NS2 will generate new files in the folder once you run it again.
    edited July 2013
    Ok ill delete it now...

Edit: didnt work :c

Is there anyway to sync your game to steam again?
    Any chance you can go in-game and press F12 to grab a screenshot using Steam?

Other than that, try verifying game cache.

1. Go to Steam Library.
    2. Right click on Natural Selection 2, click Properties.
    3. In Local Files, click to verify cache (may take a few minutes to run on its own).

9296157133_a837f4a70e_o.jpg
    edited July 2013
    Tried that already. no luck ill get a screenshot when I come home.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160822386
    When pressing play it comes to this screen.unable to join any servers or get out of this screen without pressing the start butten.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160822370
    The main menu, my name from 4 months ago... it should be -hg- leon the reboobler :3
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I believe that in general this issue is caused by one or more out of date mods failing to load. The typical fix is to remove the workshop directory %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/Workshop and things should work from there. If that fails I would remove the ns2 install, wipe the whole %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ folder, and re install.

edited July 2013
    I have done this already and re installed multiple times. No luck
    Bump, stil not solved
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    I know this may be very similar to other solutions you have tried but have you tried installing it to a different directory entirely? It is possible to set up multiple steam libraries on one machine (i.e giving yourself another steamapps to install to). I have used it myself as I cant fit all my games on the same hard drive anymore.

I cant remember the exact process but I dont remember it being too difficult to find. But essentially uninstall NS2 and then download it again and select the new library for the installation location.

Im not sure if it will help but it seems like something has gone funny with your old installation and putting it somewhere new may help. If this doesnt fix it I think its safe to say given everything else you have tried there might be an underlying issue with something else, possibly drivers/hardware, but I could be wrong about that I dont claim to be an expert on these things :p.

Also when you do launch the game are you able to access the console? if so does it display any errors, this may help diagnose the problem further.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Delete everything manually.
    This means app data, as well as the ns2 install directory.
    Ensure nothing is left visibly.

Now Verify integrity of cache.
    If you still can't run it, ensure anti aliasing, aka AA is determined by the program running in your ati or nvidia control panel... And then if that doesn't do it upload your techsupport.exe zip file in here. (its found in your ns2 install directory)
    I found another place were ntural selection 2 stuff was at... in steamapps and something else... i deleted roaming and the other one.. going to install now and vertify when it does... wont let me vertify now since i have no local content.
    Daxx's instructions may solve the problem: http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846958223183838137/?tscn=1373413536
    Disable all mods from within NS2 first, and unsubscribe from any in your Mods list.

Then.....

Delete NS2 from Steam. Then do a manual NS2 Cleanup (this is not done when Steam deletes NS2 from your Library) like follows:

1) Delete NS2 from Steam the normal way.
    2) Go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming and Delete the 'Natural Selection 2' folder.
    3) Go to your SteamApps/common Directory and make sure you delete 'natural selection 2'
    4) Restart your PC (to be on the safe side)
    5) Reinstall NS2 fresh from a new download.
    Done that already. Didn't work.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ensure steam is online (its happened before) and that ns2 properties in steam are set to "keep the game up to date".
    You can also try changing your steam server download region in settings > downloads.

Still need that tech support zip..
    No not that the Dax one my NS2 is vertifieng as we speack about to see if it worked
    I'm it worked even though its still got the name from months ago on it... I can finally play...
    Glad deleting it worked.
    Wait what should I do to get my current name and this happens before it glitches even more
    If you mean your steam picture being outdated or blank white = That's between steam and you, not ns2.
    You can try disabling and re enabling steam cloud for ns2 though?

If its just your name, you can change that in the console (~ key) and type name YourNameHere
    or you may change it in the options too, i cant recall as i always use the console.