How to Skulk Buttjump™- Bitey Tutorial(B250only)

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

Enjoy, comment, and REMARK about what you may not understand. Coach is here >8U

ALSO, after todays State of the Game I'll be having an open group session on the Nexzil central. Details on how to get in on that will be given on stream! So show up if you want to participate :DD

Comments

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice explanation. Should try and get a WASD overlay happening though.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have heard that this is considered to be an "exploit" by UWE and is going to be removed in the next patch, can anyone confirm or deny?
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have heard that this is considered to be an "exploit" by UWE and is going to be removed in the next patch, can anyone confirm or deny?

This is the 250 movement. They are not going back to brick skulks.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    kalakuja wrote: »

This is the 250 movement. They are not going back to brick skulks.

I think he means how you strafe into a wall rather than away from it and how it is counter-intuitive. I believe you can still get speeds around 10.5 with the original method, but to get the 11's and 12's you need to do the butt-jumping method.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, I was referring only to "butt jumping." Clearly the new hopping mechanic is here to stay, but some have said that this is an exploit because skulks aren't supposed to reach speeds over ten without leap or celerity. I'm not sure where UWE stands on the matter, and therefore not sure how important it is to learn this mechanic if it might be removed... Same goes for downward blinking as fade
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Buttjump. Wonderful. Now we're stuck with that.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i've been doing this since 250 released....

was this not a known thing?
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    i've been doing this since 250 released....

was this not a known thing?

I think most people have been strafing in the direction they move their mouse (strafe left/move your mouse left as u jump off the wall) because:

1)that's how the walljumping has worked in ns2 so far
    2)its similar to how bhopping/strafejumping works in ns1/quake/hl1/etc.

I, for one, didn't know about this reverse method nor thought to try it until I saw the Quaxy video.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester

Until next patch, anyway.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    GORGEous wrote: »

Until next patch, anyway.

Gorgeous pls
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Coming up next build, Gorge bilebomb jumping!
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I really hope they don't remove this.... I find the current speed limitation on skulk just frustrating its so low. This at least lets you maintain 13-14 when moving around the map
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2013
    I hate these exploits. Everytime I see a skulk moving in a jerky, erratic, animation-breaking manner, I think, oh no, another exploit.

Ever wondered what kills the game? Things like this.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    elodea wrote: »
    - Obsoletes celerity
    - Lets you go way too fast (20 speed),
    - Let's you go faster than the system was designed for (clashes with low animation smoothing rate)
    - Has basically a binary 0/1 'mouse angle large enough to work'. Pretty much no smooth skill curve here at all.
    - And counter-intuitive. If quaxy's video had never been posted to the forums, i highly doubt a significant portion of the people who support this today would have discovered it on their own.

- nope cele is still very good as you can do the adad dodge with it.
    - show me a combat situation clip where you have 20 speed skulk :DDD
    - This was THE 250 movement patch, dem devs not reporting it properly like they dont report half of the stuff in the game.
    - le wut?
    - Most of people on the bt patch thought it was a known thing as the mechanic has been there for long time. You can easily pick it up by just spectating.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Hope it stays, it's much more interesting to pull off than the standard wall jumping, and since strafing yields almost zero reward the simple process of moving around the map is so boring and limited. Glad I don't remember B249 skulking. Wow.

Would be fine with a proper speed cap.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2013
    - Let's you go faster than the system was designed for (clashes with low animation smoothing rate)

This is what I suspect most people that support this bug really like about it. It lets you go fast, and going fast is fun.

As Elodea said, if anyone thinks the base skulk speed caps are too slow, you should post about that in the Beta Test thread to see what possible solutions can be done. This bug is not the right answer..
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Stop claiming the argument of Counter-intuitive. Most advanced movement systems in many games have been unintuitive from the start only once your brain starting understanding the systems does it start to click. If anything with the new 'bug' you're jumping away from the wall physically, which to me makes more logical sense of an aspect where extra speed can come from. Thinking about momentum, physically chaining jumps on the same surface of a wall shouldn't gain you speed in the first place.

Instead of removing something that's fun, try to balance around it? The reason it's fun isn't just about the speed:
    A. The audio cue is satisfying to hear as you know that you are accomplishing a feat and being rewarded with a sound.

B. The additional mouse movement requirements makes the player more involving, this adds to the enjoyment and satisfaction of performing the movement properly.

C. The feeling of breaking something, which currently is true that the speed gained is too grand. This can be adjusted by limiting the effectiveness or by creating a GOOD speedcap that actually works. Instead make the player feel like he's breaking the rules by doing the 'skill' properly, when in reality it's an accepted movement that has it's proper limits established.

D. The semi ease of use to explain, while it's not as easy as simply saying "Chain jumps together" it does combine just enough motions and movements where it's technically a challenge to understand, but easy to master as you understand the basics.

Instead of just removing things that give you too much speed, start crafting functional speedcaps that work.
    I hope they do remove this. The potential reward is bonkers, and I wouldn't be caught defending that it should be kept. Doesn't even require alot of skill to do.
    - Obsoletes celerity
    - Has basically a binary 0/1 'mouse angle large enough to work'. Pretty much no smooth skill curve here at all.
    - And counter-intuitive. If quaxy's video had never been posted to the forums, i highly doubt a significant portion of the people who support this today would have discovered it on their own.

If UWE wants non-cele skulks turboing around, then i'd rather they implement much much more bhop like strafe accel than accomplish it this way. It's fun as a mechanic you discover to get extra movement rewards, but it's just way too broken to keep ingame.

Sewlek "agrees" with this post

removal confirmed
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    the-red-guy-buttwalk-o.gif

Animate it, quickly now! Them marines be buttwalking as well right, I've seen it in one of Quaxy's vids!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    rantology wrote: »

This is what I suspect most people that support this bug really like about it. It lets you go fast, and going fast is fun.

As Elodea said, if anyone thinks the base skulk speed caps are too slow, you should post about that in the Beta Test thread to see what possible solutions can be done. This bug is not the right answer..
    If they're going to remove everything that makes learning the movement code's quirks fun what's the point of even trying?

Meanwhile read the forums for people saying this game caters to the comp scene, heh.
    edited July 2013
    Bitey wrote: »
    Stop claiming the argument of Counter-intuitive. Most advanced movement systems in many games have been unintuitive from the start only once your brain starting understanding the systems does it start to click. If anything with the new 'bug' you're jumping away from the wall physically, which to me makes more logical sense of an aspect where extra speed can come from. Thinking about momentum, physically chaining jumps on the same surface of a wall shouldn't gain you speed in the first place.

Instead of removing something that's fun, try to balance around it? The reason it's fun isn't just about the speed:
    A. The audio cue is satisfying to hear as you know that you are accomplishing a feat and being rewarded with a sound.

B. The additional mouse movement requirements makes the player more involving, this adds to the enjoyment and satisfaction of performing the movement properly.

C. The feeling of breaking something, which currently is true that the speed gained is too grand. This can be adjusted by limiting the effectiveness or by creating a GOOD speedcap that actually works. Instead make the player feel like he's breaking the rules by doing the 'skill' properly, when in reality it's an accepted movement that has it's proper limits established.

D. The semi ease of use to explain, while it's not as easy as simply saying "Chain jumps together" it does combine just enough motions and movements where it's technically a challenge to understand, but easy to master as you understand the basics.

Instead of just removing things that give you too much speed, start crafting functional speedcaps that work.

The problem is that a functional speed cap was implemented (~10.5 speed) and this is clearly a bug which allows players to surpass that intended speed cap.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    - Obsoletes celerity

- Celerity brings your top speed from around 12 to around 15-16. How is that obsolete?
    - 20 speed, you serious mate? 16,72 has been my personal record on a private server doing nothing but jumping around with celerity, and it was only for one jump. I'd like to see you hit 20 for even a split second, let alone constantly.
    - Even without this feature, you could gain 15-ish speed with celerity and leap, so this problem, if existent, is not isolated to this case
    - It sure as hell is more involving and difficult to execute than normal wallhopping
    - Every skulk movement mechanic in the game is counter-intuitive. No difference here.

The only real reason for removal would be if the speeds broke the game. Do they? I wouldn't be so sure. It makes travelling the map a lot faster but doesn't usually give the skulk any advantage in combat.

I'm baffled at how many people want a feature removed that for the first time ever made the skulk movement interesting, engaging and fun.
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013

The problem is that a functional speed cap was implemented (~10.5 speed) and this is clearly a bug which allows players to surpass that intended speed cap.

Then the issue isn't the movement technique itself, but the speedcap.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Mendasp wrote: »

Meanwhile read the forums for people saying this game caters to the comp scene, heh.

That only means UWE has failed. Neither side is happy with the balance, I'm not surprised it happens with assymetric gameplay and the high skill ceiling, can it ever be balanced for both? Doubt it.
    Bitey wrote: »

Then the issue isn't the movement technique itself, but the speedcap.

IMO, it's both, but the only reason anyone does this is for the extra speed. Nobody will do this for fun if there is no speed gain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    edited July 2013
    The angle of the buttjump in a way makes sense, as it's as if you're forcing yourself off the wall a bit more.

However I'm not fond of holding the strafe key towards the wall while doing it, I can do it but it just doesn't feel right (or fun).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    So if it were to be lowered to 11 or 12 speed, barely above the current intended speed cap, would you even bother with it anymore?
    I'm betting no.

Those who support this have been using words like "breaking" "quirk" and "unintuitive" to describe it... Some even admit the speed is too much while most say "what's the point" if that reward wasn't there and hope nothing is changed.
    Blows my mind that everyone agrees its an exploit, something entirely unintended that yields further unintended and unfairly advantageous results .. Yet many don't want it changed.

Which leads me to believe its got to be the delight in an exploitive advantage over others that are unfamiliar with it.. Because if everyone did it, that would be the speed cap.

While I like the idea of a more in depth and challenging technique, even if were to be discovered accidentally, (looking at you bhop) I dislike only small circles of players having knowledge of such unintended advantages. A game's depth and challenge and the gradient increase of these, should come from playing the game, not from word of mouth instructions from certain people or pouring through Internet gaming forums.

So if it stays, make it communicated at the very least. So that access to learning the mechanic isn't the challenge, but instead the technique itself is the challenge.