Servers with redirects when "full": not cool

sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Just got fed up dealing with an infinite looping of loading the game, joining a team, then getting redirected to a different server... which has the same setup, so you just get bounced around constantly if they're "filled" (they aren't.. they just leave 1 slot open for redirects). Requesting that server admins not do this kind of thing in general because it's super annoying. Also, could we could possibly get a way to block it from you guys at UWE? I join a game because I want to join *that* game, not be tricked into being sent somewhere else (even if it doesn't loop, it's super annoying).

It's worse than the "pinion" issue in TF2, since I can at least block that with the hosts file and still play.

Comments

• RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Ahaha KKG, I normally avoid their servers for this reason alone.

I don't think UWE should block something like this though, imo should be able to do what they wish and hey, you might have some team using a feature like this in a hub-like server that would redirect players to different servers, ie: xenocombat, combat, siege, normal, etc.
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Shine administration is so ass for the amount of options it has to break your own server.

just get ns2stats and DAK. problem solved
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation

I don't think UWE should block something like this though, imo should be able to do what they wish and hey, you might have some team using a feature like this in a hub-like server that would redirect players to different servers, ie: xenocombat, combat, siege, normal, etc.

Even then, there really isn't a reason to allow it in my mind. The server list isn't so overwhelming that finding another server that's part of a 'hub' is difficult, and it's really just a bait and switch tactic. I understand letting admins do what they want with their servers, but ultimately the game is UWE's and this kind of thing is super off putting to players (especially new ones that may not know that this isn't the norm... at least not yet).

At the very least it seems like a way to show what mods a server is using before joining would be incredibly useful.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Agreed, I used to play 90% of my time on KKG servers, now I can't even connect as I think they are still on 249. But even when I did connect I was stuck in the infinite redirect loop.. derp.
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    I agree, it's like.. I don't want to be transfered into an empty server because the server I want to join is full.. FFS just let me rejoin or try another server that AT LEAST has players in it. Never found this "feature" useful at all, just a nuisance.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Shine administration is so ass for the amount of options it has to break your own server.

just get ns2stats and DAK. problem solved

Completely untrue. I've only had 1 problem with Shine and that was yesterday due to him updating it. It was fixed at map change. ns2stats on the other hand, has been far, far worse.

• RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    sickboy wrote: »

Even then, there really isn't a reason to allow it in my mind. The server list isn't so overwhelming that finding another server that's part of a 'hub' is difficult, and it's really just a bait and switch tactic. I understand letting admins do what they want with their servers, but ultimately the game is UWE's and this kind of thing is super off putting to players (especially new ones that may not know that this isn't the norm... at least not yet).

At the very least it seems like a way to show what mods a server is using before joining would be incredibly useful.

Few things-

You CAN show what mods a server is running by rightclicking it in the browser

And I truly believe that server ops should have as much freedom as possible, even if that may cause people to dislike their servers. I understand your points, but asking of the developers of the game to ban what the server is doing doesn't sit right with me.

If KKG's practices are upsetting you, may I suggest contacting their admins or posting on their forums with your input?
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always feel so violated when this happens. I don't like a server having THAT much control over my client.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Wtb cancel button on loading screen.