Linux Servers

FrenchTartFrenchTart Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185907Members
Yup. I'm one of those annoying people that registers just so they can post something that has been put up here 1000 times before.

What is the latest on linux server support? I've been following NS2 since it was first announced, played the beta a bit and managed to cajole a good group of friends into buying the game at release. I played for a while but the lack of linux server support became a headache (WINE is *not* optimal and the hassle of dealing with it and introducing extra layers of cack between me and the server (not to mention performance degradation) became too much).

The impression given by the devs was that linux server support would come in the "not too distant future" after release. Given that it's over 8 months since release and we've not had anything I'm starting to give up hope.

I'm sure balance and gameplay issues are all higher priorities for the dev team but a complete lack of movement on the linux server issue is very disappointing and personally it is a major contributor in my not continuing to play the game.

Apologies for the rant.

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2013
    Dont give up your hope. And a lack of news doesnt mean a lack of movement.
  • FrenchTartFrenchTart Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185907Members
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Dont up your hope. And a lack of news doesnt mean a lack of movement.

It does mean lack of communication if nothing else. It also doesn't mean *not* a lack of movement ;)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Well, max said he works on opengl support for the engine. You could then reflect on what that would mean for a linux server (indirectly)
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Well, max said he works on opengl support for the engine. You could then reflect on what that would mean for a linux server (indirectly)
    That would be for performance gains over directx9 client side. Server doesn't actually need openGL or direct3D.

The longevity of this game somewhat depends on Linux servers as they are cheaper to run so I'm sure they're working on it. Although in my opinion taking cost over time into consideration it should have been their highest priority early in development. In fact it's windows server that should have been put on the back burner but that's just my opinion and I'm not the one making business decisions for UWE.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2013
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/files/2013/07/Ubuntu.jpg

In case you haven't seen it yet.

edit: Your avatar (not sure if that is you) looks like an elf.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    FrenchTart wrote: »
    I played for a while but the lack of linux server support became a headache [..] a complete lack of movement on the linux server issue is very disappointing and personally it is a major contributor in my not continuing to play the game.
    Why does linux server support have anything to do with you playing the game? You don't need to run a server to play the game.
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    FrenchTart wrote: »
    I played for a while but the lack of linux server support became a headache [..] a complete lack of movement on the linux server issue is very disappointing and personally it is a major contributor in my not continuing to play the game.
    Why does linux server support have anything to do with you playing the game? You don't need to run a server to play the game.
    You need servers to play game and someone needs to host those servers, this isn't like Xbox live, Playstation network where listening servers are used often.

A listening server bring in the issue with the host having a latency advantage, and residential ISP service don't have the great upload speed. Alot of the console games uses and it brings alot of other issues with it as well. It works better on a LAN, but still not the best solution. That is why dedicated servers are used(not as much as they used to), and it offloads the processing task from the host in Listening. Win Server cost more to run, higher system requirements and winServer isn't cheap try $700 just for the standard version. In the server world Unix/Linux have a strong market share. It's also less of a system hog too.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Sp3cia1 wrote: »
    You need servers to play game and someone needs to host those servers.
    Yes, but YOU don't need to host a server. Anyone who just wants to PLAY doesn't need to host a server. There are TONS of servers already being hosted with plenty of available slots open to the public.

• FrenchTartFrenchTart Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185907Members
    edited July 2013
    Bicsum wrote: »
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/files/2013/07/Ubuntu.jpg

In case you haven't seen it yet.

edit: Your avatar (not sure if that is you) looks like an elf.

That looks like it's the client rather than server?

Also...you're not the first person who has said that about me :p
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    Sp3cia1 wrote: »
    You need servers to play game and someone needs to host those servers.
    Yes, but YOU don't need to host a server. Anyone who just wants to PLAY doesn't need to host a server. There are TONS of servers already being hosted with plenty of available slots open to the public.

For pretty much any game I play I host a server. I enjoy having the ability to deal with idiots that join quickly and easily and I also manage a small community of gamers that like to have a place to play that they know the admins of are reliable. I set up a wine server for a while but I really hate dealing with wine so eventually I didn't have the energy to deal with that on top of my other commitments.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if they ported the client before the servers?
    Imagine playing on linux connected to a windows server. I bet the server would be like "screw you, not paying for windows, suck on this disconnect you cheap punk."