[Poll] Was build 250 a success or failure?

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Now that we have all had a few weeks to play around with build 250, I wanted to run a poll to see what the verdict is.

Use the following link to vote: Vote Now

Feel free to post why and if you have suggestions, they are best posted in these threads:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130767/build-250-is-now-live-on-steam-natural-selection-2#latest
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128755/sewlek-s-beta-test-mod#latest

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Well how do you define success? I prefer build 250, but if success means balance, then no; it's a little less balanced now. However, I do think comebacks are more frequent and it is more fun. But has it increased player count? Not enough for me to call it a success. The brief resurgence is caused by steam sales.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    250 is still unbalanced, it's just unbalanced differently now.

People are still learning the intricacies of alien tech and movement, it will be a while yet before people can say for sure if it's much better.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was a needed change.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well it didn't empty the servers (in fact it seemed to me to bring in more players than I expected, though I'm sure some graphs will show this to be untrue...). In that sense, it wasn't a failure, so I guess it was a success? :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd say average/ok. I like it, but it's ruined pub for me.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really really like it. But some aspects need a hot fix.
    - spammy GL should do WAY less splash damage against lifeforms.
    - DPS and Speed of Exos to high
    - the Onos needed no skill in the past. But reducing its health doesn't fix that but made it useless. A good implementation of Bone Shield is the way. (I'm all for "invul at the front")
    - Flamer should also slow down the marine with jetpack.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gameplay wise it's a great success. Unfortunately there's no integrated tutorial mode to back it up, and what is implemented to help players is woefully inadequate and out of date.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    i'll say a success, has it changed the outcome of the game overall? Well, no. But it's moving in the right direction.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I think its good that:
    • All hive traits (shade crag shift) are now more or less equal
    • Lategame aliens aren't autowin
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    It's average/ok for me.
    Why? Because I get a lot more frustrated in this build with the fact Marines can come back from 1 chair and take out all 3-4 hives and win in just minutes while Aliens sit there and can't do much about it. Either dominate or get dominated.
  • militaerkidmilitaerkid Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58249Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I really really like it. But some aspects need a hot fix.
    - spammy GL should do WAY less splash damage against lifeforms.
    - DPS and Speed of Exos to high
    - the Onos needed no skill in the past. But reducing its health doesn't fix that but made it useless. A good implementation of Bone Shield is the way. (I'm all for "invul at the front")
    - Flamer should also slow down the marine with jetpack.

This is mostly what i think...

GL spam is most of the time a pain in the ass even as Fade and Onos
    A single gun Exo can easily take out an Onos (wut?). I personaly prefer Fade now to take out single Exos because its faster now
    I saw rounds where the aliens need 4-5 onos because the marine-base was like a bunker and even with 4/5 of them it was hard.

About the Onos vs Exo
    I know the Onos should be used for tactic play, but the Onos is and was the giant meat shield for the aliens.
    The Exos (single or dual) are the enemy for the Onos - since 250 you can now hunt Onos as single Exo (srsly?)
    I catch myself more and more often spending my res on a fully upgraded Fade (55res?) instead of a full upgraded Onos (84res?) in the endgame.
    I am not the 24/7 Onos player but for some tactics it was necessary.

I would not say that i hate 250 because i like:
    The new Fade gameplay
    NS1 chamber like Upgrades

And the only thing i find strange is, the hitbox are sometimes from server to server different, also i feel myself as a Wu0/Wu1 very weak <- maybe its from my 3 month break who knows, so dont judge me for that.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Awesome update. Love it to bits at the moment.
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think its been better for competitive, but a whole lot worse for pubs, given that exos are cheaper and obtainable on one CC (didn't they want to stop marine turtle?) and the turtle breaker onos is a joke.