Rookies should be limited to play rookie only servers

ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
Why?

It helps rookies not get ass raped in normal servers causing possible rage quit and a never-to-return attitude towards NS2.

It helps veterans and non-rookies enjoy games when NS2 sales go on.

Helps rookies get accustomed to games and increases their learning curve.

Today I went 143-0 in a NON-rookie server FILLED with almost all rookies on both sides. I noticed this must not be too good for people just starting out as it is never fun receiving a nice ass raping.

IF you want to keep your players playing longer than a day, you should definitely consider something like this.

Beneficial to both rookies and non-rookies. Honestly I don't know why you guys in UWE haven't thought of this before.

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I can't even get past 30 kills without throwing my fade away and crying. Stop lol
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I have come up with this idea before. I agree.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130486/rookie-only-servers/p1

There are several older threads as well. Nothing has come of them thus far.
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    edited July 2013
    tvry.jpg

Here, maybe this will fucking wake up UWE. Get it together you guys, seriously. Killing off the new gamers from Day 1. The fucking games aren't even enjoyable, it's just annoying to play. I'd rather wait it off and WAIT until all the new gamers QUIT like they usually do.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, that is really bad...
    I also get annoyed that the rookie is in the normal servers, and usually kills it all because someone jumps in the command station/hive.
    When I join a rookie server, I try explain to them how to do stuff just basically. But I don't wanna be stuck doing that ALL day.
    Hope something will be done, specially now when the sale is going on.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Keep doing that and you'll quickly get back to your 500 average players in no time.

I agree though it would be nice if the rookies did have some protected area to play in some fashion.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I once asked a rookie player why he joined a non-rookie friendly server. His response was that he clicked on Quick Start and are thus never given the option to join a "Rookie Friendly" server.

@Gosu While I realize KKG Hive 3 isn't a rookie friendly server, with your vast knowledge and skill, you would be a great asset and role model to engage and teach the players on both teams as best as you can. But of course if that's not your thing, I won't fault you for wanting a specific play experience.

But you should be aware that the rookies are not exactly at fault here. Fresh players getting smashed prevents the player base from growing, and it will help to achieve your goal of exciting and challenging gameplay with more skilled players that comes with new players :)

There is much we can all do to help the community grow instead of focusing on the negatives.

Cheers,
    ISE
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Just a thought - if you're getting kill ratios like that, perhaps you're the problem - you're purposely slaughtering newbies instead of finding an alternate server.

Sure, you want to play hard, join a clan and play with them, but if it's getting silly like that, give 'em a break, you don't have to play like an elite barsteward all the time :-}
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Like I said before, UWE has known about the problem for a while. It is up to them if they want it fixed or not. Posting screen caps of you raping pubs doesn't really help lol

You can always do what most comp players do during steam sales; take the weekend off.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    Like I said before, UWE has known about the problem for a while. It is up to them if they want it fixed or not. Posting screen caps of you raping pubs doesn't really help lol

You can always do what most comp players do during steam sales; take the weekend off.

Or do strictly NS2 Gathers, Scrims, Gathers. It just sounds like you're not being challenged enough, and even if the steam sale wasn't on, the regular players may still not satisfy you.
    edited July 2013
    phoenixbbs wrote: »
    Just a thought - if you're getting kill ratios like that, perhaps you're the problem - you're purposely slaughtering newbies instead of finding an alternate server.

Sure, you want to play hard, join a clan and play with them, but if it's getting silly like that, give 'em a break, you don't have to play like an elite barsteward all the time :-}

I'm not here to save the world or help every starving children on this planet. My solution would solve these(<-rookie) problems for EVERYONE, not just a few individuals in a few servers. And I always play the same way I always do. It's a normal server, I shouldn't be restricted on how I play on my spare time nor should I babysit new players when NS2 goes on sale.

These problem should be addressed by UWE, not the players in it. After all, it's their company and their game, not mine.

And alternative server? Seriously? It was a NON-ROOKIE SERVER. You want me to go to a rookie server then?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    UWE seems to forget about things or set them aside for a while, until someone in the community fixes it.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Or play borderlands 2! :D
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    If you're not enjoying the game right now, you don't have to keep playing it.

People complain if there aren't many players in the community - but when more come along, eager to learn and get into it, they complain about them being crap players !

Remember that you were crap at it once too, but time, experience, and perhaps help from others along the way got you to where you are today.

If you could offer the same helping hand that you received from others along your journey in the game, you'll soon have better adversaries :-}

That's why I'm not playing it and I'm playing Chivalry! Awesome game, big population.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Shinigaml wrote: »
    That's why I'm not playing it and I'm playing Chivalry! Awesome game, big population.

I actually prefer NS2's gameplay potential tenfold over Chivarly. However it is almost impossible to find a enjoyable pub NS2 game.

With Chivarly, the gameplay is much shallower but more enjoyable, probably because 70% of the players aren't running around wondering how to block an attack, etc. and you rely on your teammates much less.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members

That's pretty much the issue here. Green status last what? 3 hours? That's nowhere near enough time to even begin to grasp the intricacies of alien gameplay. It doesn't help that people purposely troll rookie servers just to feed their own ego and look at their super elite kdr!

Rookies getting slaughtered isn't the problem here. It's asswipes who decide they should slaughter rookies that need to back the hell off. Hey OP you realize that there's a sale going on right now? You realize that if your team is filled with greens then the other team has their own fair share as well? You realize that you don't need to go Fade and absolutely wreck the other team with near impunity? You realize you can just take it easy and try random things that will still net you kills while at the same time not ripping the newbies a new one? How about wandering the map as a Gorge and seeing if your spit skills are up to par? How about going around as a skulk and seeing if you can parasite a marine to death? Arguably harder with higher lifeforms, but it's not like you are forced to evolve anyway. Besides what are you doing with a 143/0 score? I can say with 200% certainty you were doing nothing but killwhoring. You could have singlehandedly ended that game by yourself without tearing the marines a new one. But what did you do? Feed your own ego that's what!

So no rookies arne't the problem. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM! I find it quite amusing how you don't even realize that OP.
    ^Actually, I tried to end it every chance I got, unfortunately I cannot 12 v 1 marines. Sorry if I broke your magical fantasy there.

I realize I am part of the problem but it's not gonna stop me from playing a game I enjoy my own way? Get my drift? I don't have to do ANYTHING for ANYONE. This isn't my business. I'm not the one worrying about whether or not the game still has a decent amount of concurrent players or what the bounce rate is like after playing a few games. You highly misunderstand. This ain't my problem. I don't need to ruin my own experience so that others can benefit from theirs. I'm not here to make everyone happy nor is it my concern. Stop misunderstanding this situation.
    PaLaGi wrote: »

I actually prefer NS2's gameplay potential tenfold over Chivarly. However it is almost impossible to find a enjoyable pub NS2 game.

With Chivarly, the gameplay is much shallower but more enjoyable, probably because 70% of the players aren't running around wondering how to block an attack, etc. and you rely on your teammates much less.
    FFA in Chivarly is the most annoying game mode to ever exists for that game. Spawning in front of people and getting gang banged every second. Hardly any skill involved in FFA.
    ^Actually, I tried to end it every chance I got, unfortunately I cannot 12 v 1 marines. Sorry if I broke your magical fantasy there.

I realize I am part of the problem but it's not gonna stop me from playing a game I enjoy my own way? Get my drift? I don't have to do ANYTHING for ANYONE. This isn't my business. I'm not the one worrying about whether or not the game still has a decent amount of concurrent players or what the bounce rate is like after playing a few games. You highly misunderstand. This ain't my problem. I don't need to ruin my own experience so that others can benefit from theirs. I'm not here to make everyone happy nor is it my concern. Stop misunderstanding this situation.

You tried real hard by not dying. Really you did! I'm amazed at how hard you tried while at the same time not scoring a single death!

You were fully aware that the server is filled with rookies. You are entitled to enjoying the game your own way and that is your right. Moving rookies to green server does nothing to mitigate the fact that you are quite simply a dick. The problem is players like you and no amount of dev intervention can prevent asswipes from ruining games. You don't have to make anyone happy, but by that token you don't have to make anyone miserable either. Ever think of that?
    edited July 2013
    PimpToad wrote: »

You tried real hard by not dying. Really you did! I'm amazed at how hard you tried while at the same time not scoring a single death!

You were fully aware that the server is filled with rookies. You are entitled to enjoying the game your own way and that is your right. Moving rookies to green server does nothing to mitigate the fact that you are quite simply a dick. The problem is players like you and no amount of dev intervention can prevent asswipes from ruining games. You don't have to make anyone happy, but by that token you don't have to make anyone miserable either. Ever think of that?

Well I usually never die once I go fade in a pub so not really. My "try hard-mode" to you is just regular gaming mode to me.

Trust me my friend, I have several screenshots of going +50-0 on aliens and marines without a single rookie present on the server. I'm not trying to brag because it's honestly not that impressive but I'm simply trying to get my point across to ignorant folks such as yourself. If I were to try, I would have gone 200-0 that game ;)

EDIT: You can't make everyone happy. <- Try LONG and HARD to think about that quote. And you will find yourself lost in a world of amazement.

• SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    As this has been suggested before and nothing has been done, I would suggest that anyone who actually gives a flying truck about about player numbers should stop being a such a c--t when they hit 50:0 vs a bunch of rookies regardless of the server.

Nothing leaves a bad taste in a new players mouth more than playing against some one with ridiculous k:d.

If NS2 had a huge population then this wouldn't really matter if people acted like such pricks to noobs, but it doesn't, it needs to try and keep all the greens it can. So the community should at least try to not scare away greens in their first game!

Another thing that would help that I can't think for the life of me why hasn't been implemented is showing green names on BOTH teams for all to see.

That and rookie status should last way longer, like 30 hours.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    edited July 2013
    This suggestion serves no purpose whatsoever. If you move all greens to rookie servers, it'll be even easier for killwhoring asswipes to identify new players and tear rookies a new one.

In summary, killwhoring elitist asswipes will always make sure the population remains low. Since NS2 has no matchmaking by tracked stats, I doubt that will ever change.
    Seahunts wrote: »
    As this has been suggested before and nothing has been done, I would suggest that anyone who actually gives a flying truck about about player numbers should stop being a such a c--t when they hit 50:0 vs a bunch of rookies regardless of the server.

Nothing leaves a bad taste in a new players mouth more than playing against some one with ridiculous k:d.

If NS2 had a huge population then this wouldn't really matter if people acted like such pricks to noobs, but it doesn't, it needs to try and keep all the greens it can. So the community should at least try to not scare away greens in their first game!

Another thing that would help that I can't think for the life of me why hasn't been implemented is showing green names on BOTH teams for all to see.

That and rookie status should last way longer, like 30 hours.

If you told people to be a vegetarian to "save the poor animals", nothing will hardly change. But if you have a law against anyone eating, killing, or selling meat, THEN that changes the whole game.
    Well we've reached an impasse here. Your 'solution' is a crock since green status doesn't last all that long and you'll still be raping these players when they join the server you're on. You won't change how you play as it is your right to enjoy the game how you want regardless of how it affects others. Not much of a team player in pubs either given your desire to keep your score pristine. Not like a 'white' name implies a person is no longer a 'rookie' in NS2 so I think that supports my argument. I'm not even calling you a "try-hard" but simply saying that you take some enjoyment out of wrecking others who are inferior to you in this game. No one forced you to stay in a server filled with greens for nearly an hour. No one forced you to stay as Fade to keep scoring kills with relative ease. Hell no one is forcing you to do anything at all.

No matter what changes the devs implement, you can't "fix" the human element in the cesspool known as online gaming. Better to be part of the problem than the solution right?

As for your quote, well you aren't even trying to make anyone happy. By your words only your happiness matters and the rest can all go burn in hell as you destroy them with your Fade. Did I get that right?
    Well we've reached an impasse here. Your 'solution' is a crock since green status doesn't last all that long and you'll still be raping these players when they join the server you're on. You won't change how you play as it is your right to enjoy the game how you want regardless of how it affects others. Not much of a team player in pubs either given your desire to keep your score pristine. Not like a 'white' name implies a person is no longer a 'rookie' in NS2 so I think that supports my argument. I'm not even calling you a "try-hard" but simply saying that you take some enjoyment out of wrecking others who are inferior to you in this game. No one forced you to stay in a server filled with greens for nearly an hour. No one forced you to stay as Fade to keep scoring kills with relative ease. Hell no one is forcing you to do anything at all.

No matter what changes the devs implement, you can't "fix" the human element in the cesspool known as online gaming. Better to be part of the problem than the solution right?

As for your quote, well you aren't even trying to make anyone happy. By your words only your happiness matters and the rest can all go burn in hell as you destroy them with your Fade. Did I get that right?

Solution:
    - Increase rookie hour from 4 to XX (desired amount).
    - Rookies remain in rookie server

Now was that so hard to understand?

And yes you got that right.

• MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    edited July 2013
    Solution:

This suggestion serves no purpose whatsoever. If you move all greens to rookie servers, it'll be even easier for killwhoring asswipes to identify new players and tear rookies a new one.

In summary, killwhoring elitist asswipes will always make sure the population remains low. Since NS2 has no matchmaking by tracked stats, I doubt that will ever change.

tl;dr even though this suggestion does nothing for the rookies, I will pretend like I am posting on their behalf so they will get off "my" server(s).

Edit: Forgot to put the quotation around "my," since apparently some people are more entitled to play NS2 than others.

Solution:

So why the irrelevant quote then?

Also you forgot to add that non-green players should not be able to enter rookie servers just for the occasional trolling. But like I said not that it would work given that the distinction between green/white is pretty useless. How many hours you've played is no indicator of your skill level. Sure it helps but all that really shows is that you have a better understanding of the game, not that you are actually good/skilled at it.

I'll reiterate this one more time. You can't "fix" the human element in the cesspool known as online gaming, and the devs can do very little against egocentrism. I've said my piece and now I wash my hands clean.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    needs more matchmaking for the veterans.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013

There are no alternatives, and the people he was facing have to be extremely new or very, very bad

rookies appear on rookie and non rookie servers, apparently some of them also use quick join and randomly join non rookie servers as well