Quaxy wallhoppin clip

kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
So many people doing the wallhopping wrong so we decided to make a fast video of the basic wallhopping. Here's a fast clip around summit. Full feature quaxy wallhopping movie coming soon.

youtube.com/watch?v=G0XAn00YkLs

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2013
    Oh now what the f*ck. How do you get up to such a high speed like that? Is it because of the way you flip the screen? Lol @ this whole debacle.

P.S. Music. xD
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    When was this video taken?
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Oh now what the f*ck. How do you get up to such a high speed like that? Is it because of the way you flip the screen? Lol @ this whole debacle.

P.S. Music. xD
    Watch the video more closely :).
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Omfg I'm totally getting how you do it now, but it's so unintuitive I keep messing up. :-O Lol! It's practice time! :bz

Thanks for the "tutorial". :))
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    I've barely gotten the hang of cornering with strafe, this looks like he's treating every wall jump like a corner. It's that little mouse flick away from the wall every time he wall jumps. Probably along with a strafe (with wall on left: flick right, strafe left)?

Time for a practice session.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    I'll have to watch the video again as I was unable to get above 10.1 when I tried this using non cel skulk and no leap. You seem to be cruising around 1-2.5 more then that. Like the first jump in the video you got to 9.01 then went to 10.5 in your next one. I can only get to 8.6 and my next one is like a 9.5. PLZ EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    I'll have to watch the video again as I was unable to get above 10.1 when I tried this using non cel skulk and no leap. You seem to be cruising around 1-2.5 more then that. Like the first jump in the video you got to 9.01 then went to 10.5 in your next one. I can only get to 8.6 and my next one is like a 9.5. PLZ EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    Hint:
    The little kid who can't tell his right from his left will be able to get above 10 =D.

And this should also help you figure it out!
    Omfg I'm totally getting how you do it now, but it's so unintuitive I keep messing up. :-O Lol! It's practice time! :bz

Thanks for the "tutorial". :))
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013
    How to do this:

At the wall jump part of your movement, hold the strafe key in the direction of the wall and flick the mouse away from the wall. This is the opposite mechanical movement of the standard bhop you do to retain speed on the ground, so then you need to transition to bhop in between to conserve your speed.

This is likely a bug, because it is incredibly unintuitive -- even more so than bhop.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    GORGEous wrote: »
    How to do this:

At the wall jump part of your movement, hold the strafe key in the direction of the wall and flick the mouse away from the wall. This is the opposite mechanical movement of the standard bhop you do to retain speed on the ground, so then you need to transition to bhop in between to conserve your speed.

This is likely a bug, because it is incredibly unintuitive -- even more so than bhop.

Yep this is absolutely a glitch. If anybody ever figured this out during the BT they certainly didn't share the knowledge.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    I thought everyone was doing this... That is how I was able get to speed 20 with non-cele skulk in 2-3 jumps.

It's quite simple as Gorgeous wrote... hold strafe towards wall and flick outwards.
    Yep this is absolutely a glitch. If anybody ever figured this out during the BT they certainly didn't share the knowledge.
    I myself have learnt not to share this sort of knowledge now, as it either gets removed/nerfed. I'm surprised elodea shared the fade drop speed on non-cele blink as well.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    GORGEous wrote: »
    I myself have learnt not to share this sort of knowledge now, as it either gets removed/nerfed. I'm surprised elodea shared the fade drop speed on non-cele blink as well.

This is exactly why you're supposed to share this kind of stuff. They're bugs and exploiting them gives you unfair advantages. You're supposed to report this stuff to @Sewlek because having these kinds of things in the game make the entire game worse.

Massive disagreement. But I am old-school and have no place here. Carry on.

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    so... figuring out incredibly unintuitive game mechanics/exploits is where the skill lies?

It should be common knowledge, the skillful part coming from how you use it/execution. Not figuring out tiny quirks/bugs in the system. This is why things like this get fixed, as fun as it is to be the one who knows about them/uses them, its not so fun for everyone else (general population) to have the chore of doing their homework so they can figure out x movement system bug just to be able to maintain the same potential as other players.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Can hardly tell the difference between a bug and intentional in this regard. Don't have a problem with it existing.
    rantology wrote: »
    so... figuring out incredibly unintuitive game mechanics/exploits is where the skill lies?

It should be common knowledge, the skillful part coming from how you use it/execution. Not figuring out tiny quirks/bugs in the system. This is why things like this get fixed, as fun as it is to be the one who knows about them/uses them, its not so fun for everyone else (general population) to have the chore of doing their homework so they can figure out x movement system bug just to be able to maintain the same potential as other players.

Doing what mulk did in the video is not exactly easy. Go ahead and try. If there's nothing else into it than knowing the quirk, everybody should be able to do it after this thread. Show us.

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Therius wrote: »

Doing what mulk did in the video is not exactly easy. Go ahead and try. If there's nothing else into it than knowing the quirk, everybody should be able to do it after this thread. Show us.

I'm not saying it's easy or that it should be, I'm saying that a movement mechanic should be as intuitive as you can possibly make it. Having it so you have to strafe into a wall to grant yourself the most speed just makes no sense.

You can have a mechanic be intuitive and still make it hard to execute, figuring out that you have to perform some obscure technique in order to maximize your potential should not be a big part of the equation. This just looks like an awkward bug resulting from the re-written movement code to me and imo something that should be fixed.
    Yes, in an ideal world it would be intuitive. But it's taken UWE and now Sewlek years to come up with a movement mechanic that's both intuitive and has a high skill ceiling, and so far there's been no luck. The intended features of B250 skulk movement are a step in the right direction, but still feel a bit lackluster. With this mechanic the skulk movement feels, for the first time ever, fluid and satisfying. For the first time ever I regularly catch myself from jumping around Summit just for the hell of it. Removing such a mechanic would be spitting in the faces of those who have mastered it, and I can't bring myself to find it justified just because it's unintended when it works so damn well. Creating a movement mechanic that's both hard to master, satisfying and intuitive is not going to happen, so now that we finally have something that works, why screw it over?
    How exactly would you explain to someone? "The goal is to not touch the wall- only graze it. And you want to hold your strafe key in the direction you're turning. But wait you also want to actually strafe into the wall, but don't touch it."

You can't seriously expect that to stay just because a select few have figured out how to use it. If you want a more difficult movement mechanic you should be giving Sewlek feedback on the intended walljump mechanics, not fighting to keep horribly wonky bugs in the game.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    This just looks like an awkward bug resulting from the re-written movement code to me and imo something that should be fixed.
    Don't look. Go try it out. It's pretty intuitive as you got speed control to walljumps with your wasd giving you total control over the movement once you know the physics.

How exactly would you explain to someone? "The goal is to not touch the wall- only graze it. And you want to hold your strafe key in the direction you're turning. But wait you also want to actually strafe into the wall, but don't touch it."

You can't seriously expect that to stay just because a select few have figured out how to use it. If you want a more difficult movement mechanic you should be giving Sewlek feedback on the intended walljump mechanics, not fighting to keep horribly wonky bugs in the game.

Well, when mulk told me how to do it, he just said "press the button facing the wall and do it in a 45 degree angle". The rest I figured out myself in a matter of half an hour. Sure, you can't know it without someone explaining it to you, but once you know it, it's pretty intuitive. My point was that I have absolutely no faith (no offence) in movement mechanics that are meant to be easy to learn and intuitive; they haven't worked so far, I have no faith in that they will. We finally have something that works, and even if it's unintuitive and unintended, removing it would be an atrocity.

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I just played a round as aliens and got it down pretty well. It's definitely not intuitive. It's the opposite movement of bunnyhoping. It's a completely conflicting mechanical movement with the one that is already in place.

There's really no reason a bug like this should stay in the game. It's like that fade bug where you blink downward to get past the intended speed cap.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Reading about the fade blink down and now this unintuitive wall jump reminds me why I hardly play this game anymore. :(
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited July 2013

How exactly is explaining this bug any different to explaining current in-place system, it only replaces "strafe from wall" with "strafe toward wall".

The game is full of hidden mechanics, and NOW you care about that? Please. But yes, fightning bugs is pointless but I take what I can with no hope of UWE getting it right. It's been years now and all we got is "hold 3 keys down while spamming spacebar" to optimize skulk movement, make it simple or make it skill based, don't make it stupid.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I miss lerk skimming.. Where if glided while aiming into the floor you got the speed boost for falling even though your still just skimming...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I find guilty pleasure in using this "strafe into wall jump facing away"technique. Frankly, it is easier to perform than the technique I was initially taught, which was "jump forward away from wall".

The main problem with this technique in the video, is it allows skulks to move at high speed while moving unpredictably, which breaks the balance of risk vs reward.
    The main problem with this technique in the video, is it allows skulks to move at high speed while moving unpredictably, which breaks the balance of risk vs reward.

it's not unpredictable. The curve for best speed is fixed and all the other angles are lower speed and thus easier to spot.
    SanCo wrote: »
    The game is full of hidden mechanics, and NOW you care about that? Please.

I have always cared about it?