Regeneration is boring replace it with something fun.

2»

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Don't really have a problem with both Cara and Regen ATM. Though, I like the sound of HP on hit for Regen, so instead of running back to Hive or waiting around, find the nearest Extractor/Power Node to chew for health.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    nSidia wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    Passive regeneration fits the hit and run style of aliens imo. Pretty fun.

So your saying its a crutch for noobs or for teams without a gorge to do its job. Would be fun for death matching but pretty boring in organized play.

*you're

Also in organized play a lot of teams only have a their commander as a gorge and he/she can't get to the skulks on the field all the time. If they do go crag hive the skulks can switch from cara to regen at any point for free and heal up without going to back to the hive or gorge saving a lot of time and map presence. But I'm sure you knew this that's why you said so cause that's pretty obvious.

i keep on forgetting this is an option. stupid new mechanics.
    i find myself taking regen for skulks, for harassing rts, it makes it much safer. then cara for fades, since getting back to hive it pretty damn easy, and regen is slow.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Right now Cara and Regen are pretty bad, which is a shame, but preferable to the praise jesus upgrade cara was before and regen has been at one point (flayras balance mod 500 hp lerks and mega regen onos).

Carapace should either be replaced by something else, or buffed in the HP gain but with a serious drawback. It used to be max speed and although I generally dislike drawbacks, every other upgrade has one in that they are not carapace.

Regeneration gives too little regen. Given the tiny size of NS2 maps relative to NS1, its difficult to balance the upgrade such that it is good enough that people can stay in the field and heal, while not making it overpowered AT the hive (keep in mind people are asking for crags to heal more). I really do not wish to return to a time where life forms are too hard to kill around a hive.

While we're talking about upgrades again, any chance we could get a 3rd upgrade for each hive type as well as a 4th upgrade style based around the whip. This would be a series of aggressive upgrades as mf suggests. Perhaps rework swam and frenzy into something more balanced than their previous incarnations.
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    Maybe make regen heal more the lower your hp is? (or perhaps only heals you up to x% max hp)
    It would need careful tweaking so regen is useful for skulks while at the same time not making low-hp onos have over the top regen.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, do what ChrisAUS said in one of the threads and make regen regen more hp per tick until you take damage which resets it to the minimum rate again.
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    edited July 2013
    I don't see how Regen is less interesting than Carapace. In my opinion Regen is great because you can always be at 100% for every engagement. Not having to run back to the hive after every fight is really useful no matter what stage of the game, even as a skulk.

I believe that Cara is better suited for defensive situations where you can use the nearby hive or crags to heal up, and Regen is better for offense situations allowing you to recover from 'Chip' damage more effectively.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hey LAGLIGHT M8 read the thread and play the game. Regen is so slow you have to go back to the hive anyway so you're better off with celerity and doing that more quickly.
    Scatter wrote: »
    Hey LAGLIGHT M8 read the thread and play the game. Regen is so slow you have to go back to the hive anyway so you're better off with celerity and doing that more quickly.

i'll use regen for skulk harass, which mean i sometimes get winged a bit while i'm moving from rt to rt, and it also means i have a good 30 seconds of chewing that i'm going to be doing anyway.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    How is this guy still able to create threads?
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Mavick wrote: »
    How is this guy still able to create threads?

My guess is he clicks the New Thread link on the General Discussion forum section..
  • Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    If you are looking for something a bit closer to regen, how about vampire bite? Each successful melee attack would return a small percentage (e.g. 5%) of damage done. Ranged attacks would be half that. A kill would give you an additional 5% health.

There actually used to be something like this in the game. Can't remember what it was called. It would heal a percentage of your health for every kill you made. It was EXTREMELY over powered and was removed. A decent skulk/fade could sit in the center of a room full of marines and just focus one down at a time. It also didn't fit well since it encourage kamikaze/rambo type tactics.

• KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited July 2013
    It's obviously been a while but if I recall right It was frenzy and healed you for whatever excess damage you did upon killing a marine. (25HP marine bit for 75 = 50HP for skulk)
    Edit: and yes, I can say even as primarily an alien player I don't miss it one bit, the permafades were horrible to encounter and boring to play.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    nSidia wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    Passive regeneration fits the hit and run style of aliens imo. Pretty fun.

So your saying its a crutch for noobs or for teams without a gorge to do its job. Would be fun for death matching but pretty boring in organized play.

*you're

Also in organized play a lot of teams only have a their commander as a gorge and he/she can't get to the skulks on the field all the time. If they do go crag hive the skulks can switch from cara to regen at any point for free and heal up without going to back to the hive or gorge saving a lot of time and map presence. But I'm sure you knew this that's why you said so cause that's pretty obvious.

I don't see why anyone would do that tbh. There are few places on any map that are more than 10 seconds from a hive as a skulk if you have any skill at movement whatsoever. It takes 10 seconds to switch to regen and then back to cara (5 sec minimum per switch). That plus the regen time and it will almost always be faster to go back to a hive, not to mention safer and it helps with scouting for backdooring as well.

If you're hiding it would be doubly bad to switch to or use regen because it flashes and makes noise, both giving away your position.

For fade and onos Regen is a good choice because of how much it restores per tick compared to how much carapace gives. Totally the wrong reason to be using regen IMO and shows that cara needs a pretty hefty buff for those lifeforms (the paper onos problem also supports this theory).
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Charge focus attack - i like this idea. It could be implemented to all of lifeforms. Remove carpa and regen (its v boring upgrades, stack it together like aura) and add 2nd - charge focus. Longer you tap button you do more damage. Simple and v useful.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    regen isnt that bad atm.
    Atleast its no longer useless
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I'm in the regen is pretty good if a bit slow right now camp.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    regen isnt that bad atm.
    Atleast its no longer useless

Regen wasn't totally useless before. If you managed to get out of combat it healed you quite fast, I'm pretty sure it was faster than crags and comparable to a hive. Now it competes directly with carapace by giving you in-combat health but regens so slowly out of combat as to be almost worthless.