What happened to Last Stand?

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This was a good mod which i thought would be played regularly like combat as it was official and a lot of fun, seems it's either not been updated or just forgotten by players, there's one server and it didn't work last time i tried, please fix it and give it some love, im starting to get concerned with the way ns2 is heading, there's a lot of potential but when mods keep breaking every update why should the community bother, the lack of proper support is going to slowly kill the mod community and ns2 will become a game which lacks variety and eventually players along with it, don't let it happen, it's already not looking too good.

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    They basically handed Last Stand over to the modding community, I think. But not sure if anyone there actually feels responsible for it.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    early mod ok. after patches no one wants to keep up with remodding after each patch.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    1 base exos feels like last stand in regular NS2.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I was AFK whole week modjam mods were released, had no chance to play any of those as every server running them was empty.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The last couple of patches have broken the mod and it doesn't seem like anyone has updated them. If they do get fixed, I'll make sure to host a server or two for people interested.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Electr0 wrote: »
    ...im starting to get concerned with the way ns2 is heading...

If I only had a nickel

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Last stand IDEA was awesome imo, it had a good chance to beat Combat in popularity, just because it was like combat but with the +1 strategic appeal, (not to mention the whole idea of a last stand is much more fun than just "kill something") but right now it just needs some serious work. Alien random spawning is stupid (hmm, which should I pick, a skulk or a skulk with carapace? hmm...) and the maps are wrong somehow, there's no outlasting, just "everything ok" and "everything dead"... Maybe somehow make a two stage retreat... Dunno.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The mod was abandoned as soon as the mod jam was over, and I think the community sensed that and quickly lost interest. It's a shame, it had a lot of momentum at the time.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    All it would take is a modder with interest to declare "I'll start maintaining it". Boom, like that, it would take off.

Of course, that's like saying moon colonies are easy, all it takes is getting there.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Honestly, if not for the modjam daily thread updates or w/e I wouldn't have known the mod existed, NEVER actually saw it.
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    Never played it, really. Jumped in towards the end of a match, but after that game I never saw a server that was open. Wouldn't mind trying it (assuming someone is fixing any problems it has), as I have always been a fan of turtles and last stand type games.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think modding will continue to be nothing more than a sideshow until mods can be loaded on map change.

Its much easier to for the modders to get their mods played, and the players to play their mods if they can start a vote to change the type of game the server is running.

That is, Combat was normally used to fill servers in NS1 (in my experience), before the players voted to change to standard maps. It kept the players on the server.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would like to see this mod come back and be fully developed. I never got to try it out, but it looked really cool and had way more appeal to me than combat mod.
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Time to learn some Lua I guess :/
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    What happened to Last Stand? The Kharaa won the last one and now peace is among us, well them... We're food now...
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    It's a mod of a sequel to a mod. Now we need Last Stand 2.0 so we can say we have a sequel to the mod of the sequel to a mod. wat
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are there files available anywhere for it? Github? A discussion thread? I wouldn't mind working on it a little in my spare time or at least updating the version to be compatible with the latest patch...
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Subscribe to it and it will download it to your mod directory, there is no other way to get it yet.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What would have happened to natural-selection if the half-life engine changed some of its engine functions or their behaviour every few weeks?

NS2 is effectively not moddable by the community. There's a serious maintenance burden on the mod developer and they cannot fix issues in a timely fashion(before an NS2 update is released into the wild); if you're not getting paid, you're doing it for fun, and dealing with this is the definition of tedious and unfun.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hey guys - good to see interest in Last Stand. I will put out the source code very soon. But yeah, basically, I can't really find time to maintain it over patches. Especially the recent ones, which have changed things quite a bit.
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Hey guys - good to see interest in Last Stand. I will put out the source code very soon. But yeah, basically, I can't really find time to maintain it over patches. Especially the recent ones, which have changed things quite a bit.

Thanks! It'd be great to see the code.

• Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Looking forward to seeing this played again then... hopefully!
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Posting source code soon..gonna start a new thread.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    well then, there should be an "official' last stand mod keepers (i couldn't find a nicer word for the people making sure it works in the latest patch plus in charge of making modifications to further enhance the game