Natural Selection devolving?

MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
it seems that each balance mod is bringing ns2 closer and closer to ns1, is there some special reason for this? can we not have these as 2 separate games instead of making the new game like the old game?, before B250 i loved the game but now (i've given B250 a fair chance as i played it as balance mod prior to it being vanilla) most of the changes i like but saying that the feel of the game has changed and im not sure if its better or worse. I played the beta test today as well, 1 major thing i disagree with is just like ns1 you can now build a cc anywhere so that now makes the game end up with aliens searching for bases and marines knowing where to go to find that hive.

Please dont take me saying this as me raging coz im not, im quite concerned that making these changes and so many so often is going to push people away from the game. I have over 1000 hours since December on this game which should tell you that i have enjoyed this game but as of build 250 I have seen the quality of players drop, and many many people raging about having to relearn everything (I must admit that annoyed me too with the fade after all the hours i put in practicing) and I have also been told by many that they have lost some interest in the game since that update and just play NS1 instead coz thats the way the game seems to be heading or leaving the game altogether.

PLEASE STOP MAKING THIS GAME INTO NS1, ITS NS2 SO LET IT BE NS2 AND DIFFERENT OTHERWISE ITS POINTLESS BUYING THIS GAME!

with everything else that UWE has done for us I thank you and think your doing a great job but please you need a bigger team thinking about balance of this new game of NS2, not to bring it backwards to NS1 just with better graphics ;)

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    *snip* so grats on making a somewhat decent thread. But god damnit, I'm so over this.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    if you have something useful to share please do, otherwise leave comments to those that will give feedback. Which is all this is, my feedback on a game that I have loved playing until recently in which im not the only one. I am merely voicing what others and myself have spoken about to each other. Many have stopped playing the game and moved to other things due to the recent changes so I felt it necessary to voice this.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    MaLuS wrote: »
    if you have something useful to share please do, otherwise leave comments to those that will give feedback. Which is all this is, my feedback on a game that I have loved playing until recently in which im not the only one. I am merely voicing what others and myself have spoken about to each other. Many have stopped playing the game and moved to other things due to the recent changes so I felt it necessary to voice this.

Many came back and many bought the game and have stayed for longer than previous sales. (More than those who left)

b250 is more fun for me. I can't speak for other groups of players but personally I think it's better. I'm sure there will be people who agree an disagree with me but that's the case with literally everything in life :<

The whole being able to put a CC anywhere is the new balance mod, and you should give that feedback there. That is a mod, no one is saying it will be implemented into the game.

• AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    omg thread 10000 about the same topic ...
    use the search function instead.
    thx
    nachos wrote: »

Many came back and many bought the game and have stayed for longer than previous sales. (More than those who left)

b250 is more fun for me. I can't speak for other groups of players but personally I think it's better. I'm sure there will be people who agree an disagree with me but that's the case with literally everything in life :<

The whole being able to put a CC anywhere is the new balance mod, and you should give that feedback there. That is a mod, no one is saying it will be implemented into the game.

im well aware that its currently a mod but as with previous balance tests it is tested there before it goes live, i only mentioned it here because it is furthering the game to be more like NS1 and i cant help thinking that whats the point in this being NS2 if its the same as NS1 just with better graphics. I think if they want an NS with the graphics of NS2 then why not just re-release NS1 to be a stand alone game with the NS2 engine.

True that some have come back and there are a lot of new players which is great and im happy for that. What im not happy about is the many people that I have on my friends list that play NS2 the number of them playing has gone down massively (not just pub players but also some that was looking into making teams for competitive) since build 250, is there not some middle ground that can be reached between these to views the lovers and haters of B250? I'm somewhat in the middle as i love the game and some changes needed to be in there just sometimes it gets irritating have to relearn everything etc... so i can understand both sides.

I want to know if there are others that share the concerns about this just becoming NS1 with better graphics and if there is some kind of middle-ground between the haters and lovers of B250 to see if we can accommodate as many of these fans and paying customers as possible, surely that would be a good thing.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am all with you MaLuS. I love the game, and want to keep on playing the game. But I am as you concerned about the games future.
    There have been frustrating moment in the b250, but I relearned how to play (again) and trying my very best. But me as many other people don't have
    the time to get up to 1000 of hours of ns2 gameplay. I am not free all day, thus I have not had time or energy to learn the new fade moment, my personal nemesis.

I hope more people will understand what your are saying! Not only try and stomp you down, as everyone seem to do to people on the forum now days. This is clearly a guy that loves the game.
    Kattcattis wrote: »
    I am all with you MaLuS. I love the game, and want to keep on playing the game. But I am as you concerned about the games future.
    There have been frustrating moment in the b250, but I relearned how to play (again) and trying my very best. But me as many other people don't have
    the time to get up to 1000 of hours of ns2 gameplay. I am not free all day, thus I have not had time or energy to learn the new fade moment, my personal nemesis.

I hope more people will understand what your are saying! Not only try and stomp you down, as everyone seem to do to people on the forum now days. This is clearly a guy that loves the game.

Thanks for the input Katt :) I know how you feel about fade, i loved it before B250 and even thought i can use it now after the practice i put in again but i still dont feel as happy playing fade now as i did before which makes me a little sad. now i pretty much skip fade to avoid the sad feeling of not being able to shadow-step jump and curl round a corner gracefully. These days i only play skulk, gorge and lerk really. I think the lerks could do with a little air friction though just so its easier to maneuver in closer spaces and easier to get some finesse in the controls when landing on something small.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    thus I have not had time or energy to learn the new fade moment, my personal nemesis.

you do short blink bursts and you jump, rinse and repeat, its that easy. Don't hold down blink for as long as possible, just tap it.
  • NH_NH_ Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185712Members
    Yeah. I love slamming space bar its so fun
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    thus I have not had time or energy to learn the new fade moment, my personal nemesis.

you do short blink bursts and you jump, rinse and repeat, its that easy. Don't hold down blink for as long as possible, just tap it.

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Jump queuing. Hold space while in mid-air, release after touching the ground and start holding on it again. You reach a satisfactory flow with it.
  • NH_NH_ Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185712Members
    Which in a fast pace manner is...
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    NH_ wrote: »
    Which in a fast pace manner is...

It's not very fast you have to do it. No slamming involved. But I guess you don't like pressing buttons in your computer games.

• patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    should be able to just hold down spacebar

the stupid jump queueing is not difficult nor skillful for anybody good at the game, and only makes it difficult for newer players
    getting back on topic, is there anyone else that has concerns for the direction of the game or is feeling the game less enjoyable recently? if so why?

lets try and be constructive here people, what feedback can we give as member of the community and as paying customers to help improve the likability of the game so that it has a lasting and varied community for as long as possible.

I want to also make it clear im neither for or against B250, I simply think that it was a bit extreme of a change to throw in all at once and i would like to find a middle ground between the haters and lovers of B250 (and onwards) so that we can help make it better for everyone and making them comfortable to play well with each other.
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    game design and what are considered good game mechanics change over time. NS1 would be a poor game in the modern game market, and many of its mechanics are probably not the best ideas to emulate
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If concerned about giving proper feedback to the future of this product, and especially given the items you mentioned you were concerned about, you should leave it in the already existing thread where it will get read by the relevant developer.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Jump queuing is a huge concession to accessibility compared to how it worked in NS1. The new "bunnyhopping" mechanics in general are far easier to understand.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    it seems that each balance mod is bringing ns2 closer and closer to ns1, is there some special reason for this? can we not have these as 2 separate games instead of making the new game like the old game?, before B250 i loved the game but now (i've given B250 a fair chance as i played it as balance mod prior to it being vanilla) most of the changes i like but saying that the feel of the game has changed and im not sure if its better or worse. I played the beta test today as well, 1 major thing i disagree with is just like ns1 you can now build a cc anywhere so that now makes the game end up with aliens searching for bases and marines knowing where to go to find that hive.

Please dont take me saying this as me raging coz im not, im quite concerned that making these changes and so many so often is going to push people away from the game. I have over 1000 hours since December on this game which should tell you that i have enjoyed this game but as of build 250 I have seen the quality of players drop, and many many people raging about having to relearn everything (I must admit that annoyed me too with the fade after all the hours i put in practicing) and I have also been told by many that they have lost some interest in the game since that update and just play NS1 instead coz thats the way the game seems to be heading or leaving the game altogether.

PLEASE STOP MAKING THIS GAME INTO NS1, ITS NS2 SO LET IT BE NS2 AND DIFFERENT OTHERWISE ITS POINTLESS BUYING THIS GAME!

with everything else that UWE has done for us I thank you and think your doing a great job but please you need a bigger team thinking about balance of this new game of NS2, not to bring it backwards to NS1 just with better graphics ;)

Its simple, people just want ns1 with new graphics.
    if ns1 with new graphics was the aim then why not simply re-release it with the new engine
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members

This is a legitimate complaint, having to release and press jump again adds basically nothing to the game. The fact that for optimal play you want to always crouch while blinking doesn't help either.

How is that any different than spamming shift? As a matter as fact, instead of spamming shift and doing jumps, just do jumps and tap blink with your mouse. its actually way easier than anyone makes it sound
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow

How is that any different than spamming shift? As a matter as fact, instead of spamming shift and doing jumps, just do jumps and tap blink with your mouse. its actually way easier than anyone makes it sound

Yea, tbh, I don't understand much of the grief for the new fade movement, it's incredibly easier than the older style. Am I missing something? What's wrong with the new version?

• KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is no wrong with the new movement, probably works out fine for some.
    I think it's just all the hours that is put into learning how to do it that scratches peoples bad side, and the fact that some people don't like changes.
    Me myself is a slow learner and I felt that I had hard time with the new fade when finally getting used to the old fade movement. But if I get some
    time to learn new fade I will try and probably because descent at it (who knows). But right now I can't bother.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013

I think the argument is that now it's just mindlessly spamming one button (jump). You pretty much only need to blink once and you can tape down your crouch key for all that matters. Before, you had to time a jump at the precise end of the shadowstep for maximum lift, double jump at the right time for distance or direction and blink for other directional changes.

Of course, personally I prefer more intuitive systems, and the old shadowstep jump, while easy to pick up, wasn't intuitive at all (someone had to explain it at some point). The new system is a bit oversimplified and just looks and feels wrong (bunny fade).

I'd like to point out that none of this really affects in-combat fading. Neither blink nor shadowstep is significantly less than before in the way they are used while engaged, and shadowstep now has 3d movement so it's actually better. The in combat nerfs come in the form of base movespeed and attack range, it's rather difficult to hit a marine repeatedly now because you pretty much MUST blink to keep up with them.
    sotanaht wrote: »

I think the argument is that now it's just mindlessly spamming one button (jump). You pretty much only need to blink once and you can tape down your crouch key for all that matters. Before, you had to time a jump at the precise end of the shadowstep for maximum lift, double jump at the right time for distance or direction and blink for other directional changes.

Of course, personally I prefer more intuitive systems, and the old shadowstep jump, while easy to pick up, wasn't intuitive at all (someone had to explain it at some point). The new system is a bit oversimplified and just looks and feels wrong (bunny fade).

I'd like to point out that none of this really affects in-combat fading. Neither blink nor shadowstep is significantly less than before in the way they are used while engaged, and shadowstep now has 3d movement so it's actually better. The in combat nerfs come in the form of base movespeed and attack range, it's rather difficult to hit a marine repeatedly now because you pretty much MUST blink to keep up with them.

I thought people wanted something easier to use??? Am I wrong? Or is just jumping while tapping blink not easier? Also for a fade you only need to crouch to make it so you dont run into as many things when you're flying around, its not needed to get full speed.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    sotanaht wrote: »

I thought people wanted something easier to use??? Am I wrong? Or is just jumping while tapping blink not easier? Also for a fade you only need to crouch to make it so you dont run into as many things when you're flying around, its not needed to get full speed.

It's also not detrimental to speed as long as you don't walk on the ground, and it gives you a smaller hitbox, so there's no real reason you couldn't just tape it down.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The fade should just be changed to automatically be crouching down while blinking, so as to not require the user to hold it or get stuck on anything, and then this way you can prevent the hitbox differences as well as the 30% smaller target that marines have to face.