The Female Marine - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Amazing work! I can't say how much I appreciate your approach and artwork!

A quick heads-up to the devs:
    I couldn't help but think about Rock Paper Shotgun (specifically John Walker) and it's crusade against sexism while reading the news blog. I think it might yield some media coverage on RPS if you contact John about your female marine. If you haven't already, or are going to do so once the patch comes out. Just an idea...

Here are some articles from RPS covering that exact topic:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/13/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games-vs-the-internet/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/misogyny-sexism-and-why-rps-isnt-shutting-up/

Oh God, please don't. John's way of handling the topic (blocking RPS comments for the first time in God knows when) was not ideal in any way. RPS looked really dark that day. I don't care who's right, it wasn't good for anyone.

Nathan did anyway...

Comments are mostly benevolent.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    This is great. Blown away we 'specials' get a special black armour version too. Brilliant!

Good job making a female version of what the male one was, no stupid 'feisty' expression on her face, the kind you see in other games and hollywood films.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    Well done UWE! =D>
  • XaragothXaragoth Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154720Members
    God damn you UWE. Now I hate myself EVEN MORE for not having the money for the Alpha Skin when it was buyable.

You have earned my eternal self-loathing >.<
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In the same god damn boat as Xaragoth about the black armor D: The button was there, the wallet was not :(
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members

@RockyMarc, that's kind of the point I'm getting at xD If your company is better than the others, then people will notice it on their own.

That said, at least UWE has a good track record of backing up their words with actions.

I think most of us know what you are getting at - PR texts in general are just plain stupid. It's different wih UWE though. It's a reeeally small company. They have their opinions as gamers and as a company. Just think about it. You are a gamer who hates those payed DLCs that companies do today, and you know how it was back in your youth. No log-ins, usual updates, no advertising and PR crap all around the game. Now you start a company, make an old school game just fr the sake of making a game - you aren't allowed to state that just because the big companies have offensive PR people?
    UWE doesn't think 'Oh, now people should have that opinion of us', they just tell us what they think and how a gaming company should do things in their opinion. They don't have PR guys who try to make us believe they would do so.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited July 2013

@RockyMarc, that's kind of the point I'm getting at xD If your company is better than the others, then people will notice it on their own.

That said, at least UWE has a good track record of backing up their words with actions.

I think most of us know what you are getting at - PR texts in general are just plain stupid. It's different wih UWE though. It's a reeeally small company. They have their opinions as gamers and as a company. Just think about it. You are a gamer who hates those payed DLCs that companies do today, and you know how it was back in your youth. No log-ins, usual updates, no advertising and PR crap all around the game. Now you start a company, make an old school game just fr the sake of making a game - you aren't allowed to state that just because the big companies have offensive PR people?
    UWE doesn't think 'Oh, now people should have that opinion of us', they just tell us what they think and how a gaming company should do things in their opinion. They liked the free updates from the past, so they tell us: 'Hey, there was a thing like free updates in the past - lets do it this way again'. It's a sign. Just like a non-sexualized female in a video game. They have great art work and asthetics and just show that you don't need any sexism for that. They don't have PR guys who try to make us believe they would care for something that they actually don't.
    [/quote]

• DeviijaDeviija Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185909Members
    I love the lady marine design! I think it is brilliant! The pose, the stance, the armor, the body type/shape, the way the armor is designed (to be practical and functional instead of sexualized and purely for the male gaze, as real chestplates on men and women - from platemail to swat vests - aren't at all that different than being big rectangles on the chest and/or torso). I also like her facial design -- it isn't overly supermodel and fueled with estrogen beauty features. It's more of an Everywoman kind of design, imo, and that's absolutely great.

To be honest, I didn't follow too closely with this game or have much invested interest in it - but now that I know you can be an awesomely design, non-sexualized and non-fetishized lady marine, I am much much much much more interested in playing! And invested in following you folks through future projects. :)

From a gamer that is tired of dealing with sexualized women and exploitative depictions of women as protagonists in our games, or having women in sci-fi marine/war genre games completely omitted, thank you so much for this!
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    cheers for a realistic model. a bit more distinguishable from the male version would have been nice indeed but i prefer this 10x over the typical prostitute outfits in other games.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    In the same god damn boat as Xaragoth about the black armor D: The button was there, the wallet was not :(
    I had no idea NS2 is coming out until like September 2012. And now there is no way to get this cool skin.
    I wish UWE could make it available somehow.
  • Hive Queen MelHive Queen Mel Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175317Members
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    i prefer this 10x over the typical prostitute outfits in other games.

Totally agree. A woman in combat isn't going to be walking around in skimpy outfits.

As a woman, I totally approve of this model and can't wait to try it out :D

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    xen32 wrote: »
    I had no idea NS2 is coming out until like September 2012. And now there is no way to get this cool skin.
    I understand where you are coming from, but making it avialable to new people would be giving the early supporters the middle finger. And i know that UWE will not do that. - So no black armor for you :S
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks basically the same to me, except with a female face. In the heat of a game you won't even notice it
    I will when I'm closing up to it >8D

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I would find it ok as a early black armor customer if the female marine black armor would be sold seperatly, like the current deluxe armor. But thats just me. (i paid for the black armor male marine, as long as i get the black armor female marine im ok if people can buy the female black marine to support UWE).
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    After all this, I hope the female gorge is wearing a bikini! ;)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Looks better than expected. Good job!
  • BigNoseBigNose Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185889Members
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    BigNose wrote: »
    Can't wait to see them ladder animations!

The ones where marines float around ? :D

Nothing like seeing an onos climb a ladder in ns1, or even a gorge for that matter :D

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    Yeah free content, let's complain! *ahem* Good stuff guys, but the real question, besides all the negative nancies up in here is of course... ;))

How much time has cory spend playing around with the jiggly bones.........?

*runs for his life*
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Now I want the BEARD MARINE
    i made a start for you:
    beard_marine.png

And yes, i made this fully 3d rendered in paint.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    GISP wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from, but making it avialable to new people would be giving the early supporters the middle finger. And i know that UWE will not do that. - So no black armor for you :S

They should really switch places for green armor and black armor, that way everybody can look cool and you guys can have exclusive green armor™
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    GISP wrote: »

They should really switch places for green armor and black armor, that way everybody can look cool and you guys can have exclusive green armor™
    You're crazy!
    I would never!
    You're scaring it with that talk, stop it :-L

*talks sweet soft things to his black armor while petting it*
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    To all the disappointment people in this thread: I hope you realize that video games have degenerated into a sexist garbagepot due to the rampant objectification of women. 99% of games that have female characters get more time spent on making their boobs bounce believably than making the character identifiable. Play any game online with a girl and you hear immediately people calling out the fact that she's a girl, making sexist comments, and in some cases blatantly harassing and berating her. These aren't just coincidences, the objectifcation of women by games makes it very easy for people to think it's okay to objectify women in games.

UWE, you've really shown that NS2 is a more mature game and gaming community, not mature in that there are boobs everywhere, but actually mature in that there aren't. Congratulations, and thank you. Some day I hope that video games can be more than just a boys club and you are taking a wonderful step in that direction.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    it's getting picked up on a lot of sites & spawning comment/forum fights. i suppose that even trolling is a good thing. more people thinking about the game.
  • not_interestednot_interested Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185917Members
    the gaming industry is in a full blown war against feminist censorship and control. When i read about the capitulation to the feminist world view i immediately uninstalled NS2 and will not buy another unknown worlds game. i have voted with my wallet. The model looks good but playing up the feminist aspect is irritating. I have voted with my wallet, good bye.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    To all the disappointment people in this thread: I hope you realize that video games have degenerated into a sexist garbagepot due to the rampant objectification of women. 99% of games that have female characters get more time spent on making their boobs bounce believably than making the character identifiable. Play any game online with a girl and you hear immediately people calling out the fact that she's a girl, making sexist comments, and in some cases blatantly harassing and berating her. These aren't just coincidences, the objectifcation of women by games makes it very easy for people to think it's okay to objectify women in games.

UWE, you've really shown that NS2 is a more mature game and gaming community, not mature in that there are boobs everywhere, but actually mature in that there aren't. Congratulations, and thank you. Some day I hope that video games can be more than just a boys club and you are taking a wonderful step in that direction.

Don't blame video games for people being morons.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    *insert expected feminist joke that has come to be expected from gamers around the world* (sarcasm)

But no lol sarcasm aside I think this is a wonderful addition to the natural selection 2 universe and I think it is absolutely FANTASTIC that UWE has made the decision to create a model that is realistic instead of the way too often seen "boob armour" and "titalation" (as quoted from the wired article on the matter) of female characters in games. This is an awesome direction to lead the games industry in. GO UWE!!! :D
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited July 2013
    Such drama. Encore! Encore!

Anyone got a spare tin foil hat? I'd make my own but I'm not submitting to the kitchen utensil feminist dogma.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2013
    the gaming industry is in a full blown war against feminist censorship and control. When i read about the capitulation to the feminist world view i immediately uninstalled NS2 and will not buy another unknown worlds game. i have voted with my wallet. The model looks good but playing up the feminist aspect is irritating. I have voted with my wallet, good bye.
    Wait what? xDDD
    That's one of the most absurd thing I ever read.
    I think you need to go out of your cave and learn what "feminism" is, and open your eyes on the world around you :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Voted with your wallet, eh? 1 Post, eh? Just for info, uninstalling the game does not give you a refund, so you're actually achieving nothing of the sort.

Shut the door on your way out.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Please make hand grenades do self-damage, so I can sit in a vent with a Marine buddy, tell him he was always an a**hole and blow up with Aura-evolved aliens hot on our trail =P~