The Female Marine - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Zable wrote: »
    Feminist Frequency, and the ideas it presents, are not favorable in the gaming world. By trying to push their feminist agenda into your game you have effectively made yourselves, and your game, a target of hostility from MANY people.
    Oh noes, Uwe is now a target of hostility from chauvinists, that is so sad :(

Good job UWE! I can't say how much I am glad you try to push the game further and how you do it (and some lost minds at the same time).
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Who knew a female character wearing a functional outfit would cause such a stir?

Oh internet, you don't disappoint.

edit: lawd, I have 666 posts I can never post again. Bye everyone :(
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    The model looks excellent.

It would have been better to announce this much closer to release, ideally in the same week as the content is patched in.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Gonna post again:

Great model, great concept, great intentions.

Sad to see some people wanting something different out of a female marine though...
    GISP wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Female Kharaa coming too?
    The Kharaa are female
    Aren't the Kharaa actually the bacteria on the different life forms? Therefore.. probably being asexual.
    Hmm i know there was a discussion about it on the internal chat some time back, and i actualy think you are right.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    *waits for the hitbox complaints*
    Good stuff UWE! Looks bloody awesome!
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    RockyMarc wrote: »

While the model may be different I don't see the hitbox being changed.

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Daxx wrote: »
    RockyMarc wrote: »

While the model may be different I don't see the hitbox being changed.

Oh it was more of a joke then being serious :P
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    She looks great, UWE. =) So excited to get in touch with my feminine side come August. XD

However, saddened to see so many misogynistic comments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    She looks far more useful than Lydia
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    I presume that "animations are being completed" to mean that they are not entirely the same as the default male animations.

Perhaps having slightly different animations could be an opportunity to distinguish between the genders on the field.

Or is having standardized animations important for balance in terms of psychology and how enemy marines are perceived (Unreal Tournament comes to mind.)

IIRC, getting female animations done properly was one of the biggest reasons why it took so long to get the thing out in the first place. Female marine models themselves have been spotted in the game age ago already.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Concerning hitboxes, the actual goal here is to remove any advantage from selecting one model or the other. Using the male hitbox on the female model will not completely serve that goal. In fact, it would just create discrepancies between the model and the hitbox, where NS2 is otherwise very tight with its hitbox/models.

Let me exaggerate and say the female model is 5' tall while the male model is 6'. Players who care about shit like this will chose the 5' model regardless of the actual hitbox because it will be as if 1' of your model is permanently cloaked.

Because of that, the models need to be similar height and volume so as to cast similar profiles -> surface areas.

You should seriously do some silhouette analysis and scale the models up or down until they produce the same area.

In other words, do it properly or don't do it at all.
    Yup if you make the model smaller how are we going to crouch jump on her head and get into vents! :/
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as their heights are identical I highly doubt their physique is different enough to confer any perceptible advantage.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    First page of this thread
    plan is that we are going to try and use the same hitbox size for both the male and female.
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    as a female gamer of ns2 - i am very very very very happy + delightful to see that the marine female isnt sexist + sexual toys like any other mmorpg game (like in the link)
    I am very happy

thank you for not making the game soooo humans-that-wear-armor-to-really-protect-themselves-from-nasty-aliens

xxx
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    btw - in l4d zoey do has same hitboxes as francis/louis/bill even though shes the shortest

xxx
    Aye tis good to see proper adult gaming done right.
    But hey what would I know, I'm from Australia where adults get treated like children buying games :(
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not going to lie, was kinda expecting more than a new player model :(
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Not going to lie, was kinda expecting more than a new player model :(

More cool things are on the way ;-) Patience!
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    edited July 2013
    2 people banned and pages of debate over a realistic female marine. What.

Did the trolls come out of the woodwork for just this moment or are there really that many sexist people out there?

At first I thought it was weird that UWE pointed out that the model wasn't skimpy. I didn't bat an eye when I saw the model. I'm beginning to think that UWE is really onto something about sexism in the gaming community. Here I was thinking it was just some adolescent issue. Though there are a lot of adults out there who act like adolescents... Who knows, I'm just an armchair sociologist. :P
    Nikoran wrote: »
    Think for a minute, all the sexy female gamers the female marine will attract to our game and community. Yes ;)

Sexy female gamers? Sorry, pal, they don't exist.

I'm also a 400lb 30 year old male with pizza box cardboard for clothes huddled in my parents' damp, dark basement.

Oh wait, this is reality.
    GISP wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Female Kharaa coming too?
    The Kharaa are female

I thought the Kharaa were beings infested with a man-made bacterium making them asexual? At least that's how I remember reading the art book.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Reeke wrote: »
    She looks far more useful than Lydia

hey man, lydia was my main girl

I even restarted the damn game if she died
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Nice model. I can't wait to see the animations. I'm guessing she will move a bit different from the man.

I agree this 'big' announcement should have been delayed for bit longer unless there are even bigger things in the pipeline for the next update.

Has UWE clarified if the model is shorter?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really don't get why everyone has their panties in a bunch... I mean I understand what UWE is going for and I think it's awesome or whatever, but this pretty much looks the same as the male marine model. The original concept art was way better than what we're actually getting.

NS2_Female_Marine_Concepts_-_Final.jpg

That picture has a better helmet, a more feminine face (i think the one that's going into the game looks rather androgynous), the armor on the torso looks better (less like a 6 pack + pecs).

I'm not saying she needs big tits and high heels, but tbh I don't really understand why it took so long to get this in the game when we're essentially just getting a slightly skinnier male marine.
  • moofreemoofree Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34622Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Good job. Now I'd like to see a Ms. Gorgie model with a pink bow.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    edited July 2013
    It is a nice milestone, well thought out & executed. I think it qualifies as a Hugh 'big' but falls short of a Hugh 'huge'
    So will the marines be getting the voice command "I don't think so sista" ?
    Yeah? Yeah? I just made a lot of enemies didn't I ? :(
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Minimum wrote: »
    I thought the Kharaa were beings infested with a man-made bacterium making them asexual? At least that's how I remember reading the art book.

Kharaa is what the Bacterium is, and it's alien. The "lifeforms" you see in game were taken by the bacterium and modified/improved to suit the needs of the bacterium. It doesn't really have a sex either way.

• BigNoseBigNose Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185889Members
    Can't wait to see them ladder animations!
    BigNose wrote: »
    Can't wait to see them ladder animations!

The ones where marines float around ? :D