The Female Marine - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• XQ9XQ9 Join Date: 2013-06-22 Member: 185653Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Hugh wrote: »
    snaga wrote: »
    That reminds me - UWE, did you ever consider redoing the male voice? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, just that we've been listening to the same samples for 10 years so some new lines would be nice. :)

Actually... Yes! A new set of male voiceovers were recorded recently. Though when we sat and listened to them in the office, something just was not right. The original NS1 marine voiceovers are just so unique, so awesome... The new ones felt almost too 'normal,' too 'similar' to what is out there in other games.

Could we have them as an option? or uploaded to the workshop?

EDIT: Also the sexy comm voiceovers I have heard about :)
  • GorgeloveGorgelove Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185873Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Since there are a fair few devs online can I please ask this...

Do you know if the Gorge plushies come out in August? ;_; I want one so bad
  • ZableZable Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17037Members
    Why do video game developers feel like they need to promote social issues and political opinions? How about you focus on the game instead of using politically charged issues to advance your game.

Why did the game need a new marine model at all? Why do you feel like making a political statement with it's release?

Seems like you're just trying to capitalize on a taboo issue in the gaming world, and you've unfortunately shown that you don't know much about your own playerbase.

Feminist Frequency, and the ideas it presents, are not favorable in the gaming world. By trying to push their feminist agenda into your game you have effectively made yourselves, and your game, a target of hostility from MANY people.

This is not a good change for Natural Selection and I am personally very disappointed that you stooped to pushing politics in order to sell your game.

This is going to bite you in the ass.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is amazing. It's funny that I find this realistic, functional appearance to be far more attractive (not to mention believable) than anything that comes out of something like, say, TERA.

That's not funny, that's a very valid feeling to have :)
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    XQ9 wrote: »
    That reminds me - UWE, did you ever consider redoing the male voice? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, just that we've been listening to the same samples for 10 years so some new lines would be nice. :)

Actually... Yes! A new set of male voiceovers were recorded recently. Though when we sat and listened to them in the office, something just was not right. The original NS1 marine voiceovers are just so unique, so awesome... The new ones felt almost too 'normal,' too 'similar' to what is out there in other games.

Seconded. Provided there's not much more cost (dev time/etc) with adding them as an option, love to hear them ingame.
    Zable wrote: »
    Why do video game developers feel like they need to promote social issues and political opinions? How about you focus on the game instead of using politically charged issues to advance your game.

Why did the game need a new marine model at all? Why do you feel like making a political statement with it's release?

Seems like you're just trying to capitalize on a taboo issue in the gaming world, and you've unfortunately shown that you don't know much about your own playerbase.

Feminist Frequency, and the ideas it presents, are not favorable in the gaming world. By trying to push their feminist agenda into your game you have effectively made yourselves, and your game, a target of hostility from MANY people.

This is not a good change for Natural Selection and I am personally very disappointed that you stooped to pushing politics in order to sell your game.

This is going to bite you in the ass.

This has been requested since early early beta when the concept art came out. This has been a work in progress for over a year.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

That would be amazing. I like how you can customize your character's personality with voicepacks in Tribes. Basically, you get same things said with different words and/or in different manner.
    xen32 wrote: »

That would be amazing. I like how you can customize your character's personality with voicepacks in Tribes. Basically, you get same things said with different words and/or in different manner.

It can even be local only and not send to the server, I am perfectly happy with that.

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited July 2013
    Really? A target for you - and who else?
    It's perfectly fine for a game company to make a statement on the image of women in games/the online world.
    When you look at opinions and fun sites around the net you think you are transferred back to the 50s.

Good job UWE, your female marine is very nice and much more attractive than those bikini-babes in other games. And I like the statement as well.

You guys are very nice, sociable and open-minded people.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Awesome job on the model! She looks great, and I love how she has deluxe versions, plus the male model is getting its own colored arms. Also great to see UWE publicly taking a stand against sexist armor designs. It's sad that even something as simple as saying "we are not going to be pointlessly sexist" is odd for the games industry and leads to trolls infesting the forums with stupid posts, but it's a thousand times better to do what UWE is doing than just let people think it's okay to just go around designing women soldiers in games as if they're strippers designed for men to slobber all over.
  • FaultyFaulty Join Date: 2005-03-14 Member: 45268Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Maybe people should simply get less hostile towards feminism? Wouldn't that also solve this "issue"?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Zable: 13 disagrees and counting. Yup, really looks like UWE got this wrong... 8-|

@Hugh: I saw the first pic, then I saw the line "Rendering of the actual in-game 3D model" and I literally sat here and said WTF...!

Not only is that a stunning render from an in game model, I think you've (plural) absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one. The black edition looks simply brilliant (too bad I'll only be deluxe, that's definitely my loss!), but the standard and deluxe versions also look excellent.

I'd like to add my sentiments that some new male voice overs would be cool... I know a lot of people loved the old NS1 sounds in there, but personally I felt that was a bit of a let down when you had the opportunity to get all new, (high def!) audio in there from the start. Don't get me wrong, the sounds are still badass, but as someone else said, we've been playing with them for 10+ years now and it would be kinda cool to have some sparkly new sounds!

Fantastic job all around I'd say. Now go and have a beer :)
  • ZableZable Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17037Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @zable try reading the first sentences of the post.
    She was designed before the game even was an engine test, let alone released. It was the original design. Your claim that this is being done for PR purposes, or worse, as a ploy to appease feminists (? Lol) is just soooooooooooooo off the mark and uninformed.
    Then why make a blog post directed specifically at this? The fact that you think this isn't a PR stunt and an appeasment to feminists is truly uninformed. If this wasn't about pushing feminism then why would they draw so much attention to putting this model in the game?

I'm overjoyed to find out that they didn't waste time or resources creating the model. But I stand by my point that this is little more than playing politics where it has no place. If they weren't appeasing feminists and pushing an agenda, why would they be linking off to several feminist blogs and drawing all this attention to the issue?

This topic has absolutely no place in video games and will only be detrimental to the community.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    zable . i think you can set the hook & reel in now.
    edited July 2013
    sju wrote: »
    So every game developer, including those designing them for children, who show the whole female form, are sexist? You're saying a lot of people are sexist.
    Do you live on the moon? There's so much sexism in the world, you can't possibly think that there are only a few sexists. Being sexist doesn't imply that you are aware of the fact that you are doing something wrong or offending though, maybe that's your problem.

• blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    edited July 2013
    Nice job! Great to see UWE is sticking to its plan and releasing that!
    wiry wrote: »
    And in comparison to the marine male model, this model is what size exactly? If it's smaller it's going to affect balance, even though it may only affect it in a small way, that little thing may be the difference between life and death.
    Please don't neglect this one. I even remember Fana bringing that up on the very first episode of NS2 Showtime on April 15th. I don't wanna spam much, but he is good in putting the concerns in words at 6:50 of this video.

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Blar Blar Blar

It's like he's talking, but all I hear is someone who doesn't seem to want equality, or bestow it on others. It's not political. It's natural.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    This model looks great! Thanks for making her classy. She looks like a real military woman to me. ;)
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Blar Blar Blar

It's like he's talking, but all I hear is someone who doesn't seem to want equality, or bestow it on others. It's not political. It's natural.
    I hope that zable won't become a politician when he's out of school.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @zable
    I have to disagree strongly.. Apart that uwe always planned to make a female model, there is absolutely nothing wrong with advertising that uwe is a game company taking female armor realistic.
    The game world isnt waiting for this? Do you know how many women play games? Close to 50%. (Not I dont remember the link of the research, go google if youd like to know)
    They get linked in feminist communities not 'just' because of advertising but because those are really happy & enthusiastic that a game company takes real armor serious enought.

I would even say they know there player base quite well. They have know it for over 10 years. It was shown first as a female model, many many many males and females requested this model and the big part of the community has always been about fairness, respect and understanding. JUST like correct female armor is.
    Many (but surely not all) who get put off by this armor as not female enought, are the same people who are unwilling to learn and listen, think only of there own views and generally behave bad. Now those never fit in the ns2 community, and on a personal level, id be happy to be rid of them.

Well done uwe \o/
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @zable try reading the first sentences of the post.
    She was designed before the game even was an engine test, let alone released. It was the original design. Your claim that this is being done for PR purposes, or worse, as a ploy to appease feminists (? Lol) is just soooooooooooooo off the mark and uninformed.
    Then why make a blog post directed specifically at this? The fact that you think this isn't a PR stunt and an appeasment to feminists is truly uninformed. If this wasn't about pushing feminism then why would they draw so much attention to putting this model in the game?

I'm overjoyed to find out that they didn't waste time or resources creating the model. But I stand by my point that this is little more than playing politics where it has no place. If they weren't appeasing feminists and pushing an agenda, why would they be linking off to several feminist blogs and drawing all this attention to the issue?

This topic has absolutely no place in video games and will only be detrimental to the community.

The only one truly uninformed is you, this has been a highly requested model for quite some time. (well before the beta was going)
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    edited July 2013
    What a pretty model.

What an ugly thread.

Well done UWE, I do think its' a high quality model and looks very cool. Not sure it's the thing the game needs, in any way, but as an extra bonus type thing, it's always nice to have variety. I do think it's a *little* lacking in difference between the male model, although I'm no expert on the models and don't have the 3D Render files in front of me, so I can't really tell... but on first glance and quick look-over, minus the lower face/chin, it appears to be pretty similar. Still an impressive piece of work. Nicely done.

Regarding all the trolling and silliness; if they included a bare-skin/curvaceous model, wouldn't that be utterly destructive towards immersion? Fight the aliens in your bra and yoga pants...? While I can't disagree that the model seems lacking any sort of the classic 'female appearances'; that's how it would be in the setting they've created.

-Colt
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Female Kharaa coming too?
    The Kharaa are female