The Female Marine - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    kalakuja wrote: »
    Nice waste of resources. How about that matchmaking and bringing in new players?

Because the Art team does coding for matchmaking and PR work.

• sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    I think he was referring to the money spent, by way of resources. The post did say it is "expensive" to make models.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    rantology wrote: »
    I think she turned out fantastic, can't wait to see her ingame.

Aye, any chance of a youtube action video? :D
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Really awesome! I really can't stand all these negative comments by teenagers without a life.

Hope to see OS X version someday! Keep up the good work!
  • Slpy1314Slpy1314 Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185881Members
    I really like the concept that female models are not with excessively exposed armor, especially when you are talking about killing aliens.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Daxx wrote: »
    Aye, any chance of a youtube action video? :D

Soon! Animations not quite ready to rock just yet
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    truly good job on this UWE, she looks like a total bad ass and I will surly be putting on that black armor one once released!
    edited July 2013
    Insane wrote: »
    sju wrote: »
    *I am simply editing this whole post since I am become tired of your pointless rant. Drop it.* --Comprox

Censored by Comprox. As having the opinion that females should look female, is illegal on these forums. Consider it dropped as long as this message stands.

Nice equivocation. You were censored for being overtly sexist. Your views are not reasonable, or well thought out. Pretend you are the real victim all you like, it will hold no water here.

So every game developer, including those designing them for children, who show the whole female form, are sexist? You're saying a lot of people are sexist. For a list of female characters, of which many including Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, Marley from Monkey Island and Jynx from pokemon are aimed at children and are not shy about the fact they do have gender specific features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Female_characters_in_video_games

To give you an idea that I'm not sexist, those 3 are included in that list along with others who are just as covered up and others that are just as sexualised.

Is there a woman on the dev. team at all? As a womans input could be good on this one.

EDIT: Claire Redfield is another good example of showing a woman without sexualising her, to be a woman.
  • militaerkidmilitaerkid Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58249Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    next step: real life Natural-Selection 2 costumes :D
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    I'm amazed by the quality of the model, exceptional work UWE! I also applaud your mature approach towards depicting women in games. Great job guys, can't wait to see her in-game!
    Katana- wrote: »
    sju wrote: »
    *I am simply editing this whole post since I am become tired of your pointless rant. Drop it.* --Comprox

Censored by Comprox. As having the opinion that females should look female, is illegal on these forums. Consider it dropped as long as this message stands.

Umm, having the opinion "that females should look female"... is sexist and shouldn't be tolerated.

People should look the way they want to look. People should be able to present themselves the way they want to present themselves.

Your judgement on what a female should and shouldn't look like is the root of the problem. Grow Up.

Google "female body". You might be shocked to know it's science.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    quote from my wife on the female marine
    "She's awesome! No boob armor!"
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I hope the voice acting is good! I will use whichever skin sounds the coolest :D
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Wait... do the male marines sound different lol
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    While I think it's a content update as essential as babblers, I am happy that the female model is at least not the over-sexualized crap you see in every game today. The armor at least gives the impression of something to protect the body from damage, unlike the terrible stuff seen in fantasy games.
    edited July 2013
    I told you to stop.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Awesome! I really like your wise approach to the look, unlike 95% of developers. I just knew you would do this right! =D
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope the voice acting is good! I will use whichever skin sounds the coolest :D

That reminds me - UWE, did you ever consider redoing the male voice? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, just that we've been listening to the same samples for 10 years so some new lines would be nice. :)
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    I am pretty excited to hear the female version of

"How'd I get to be soooo... good?"
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's realistic the way they depict it as is.
    I, for one, do not want skimpy and/or stupid extremely unfunctional armors to be implemented officially, on the male or female form.
    The way they depict the female marine makes perfect sense, her armor is slightly adjusted as to fit the female form, yet it's universalized. it's effective, it's realistic, it's immersive, and it looks just as cool on top of that.

As much as I admire the female form, and I myself prefer a curvaceous woman (in tastes), It would be necessary to realize that athletic women who do constant cartio and straining physical activities don't develop extravagant curves like usually depicted in videogames, have you ever heard of a sports bra? They wear them for a reason. Heck, They still look feminine, beautiful even, but are slimmer and usually have toned muscles, slap on top of that functional armor, and we have this.

A marine I'd actually trust to be able to fend for herself, to watch my back. To punt a skulk in the teeth, etc.

Please UWE, don't change the model. It's good the way it is, I can't think of any improvements other then adding different ethnicities into the game eventually.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    snaga wrote: »
    That reminds me - UWE, did you ever consider redoing the male voice? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, just that we've been listening to the same samples for 10 years so some new lines would be nice. :)

Actually... Yes! A new set of male voiceovers were recorded recently. Though when we sat and listened to them in the office, something just was not right. The original NS1 marine voiceovers are just so unique, so awesome... The new ones felt almost too 'normal,' too 'similar' to what is out there in other games.
  • Raptor091288Raptor091288 Join Date: 2002-07-15 Member: 955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is amazing. It's funny that I find this realistic, functional appearance to be far more attractive (not to mention believable) than anything that comes out of something like, say, TERA.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    snaga wrote: »

Actually... Yes! A new set of male voiceovers were recorded recently. Though when we sat and listened to them in the office, something just was not right. The original NS1 marine voiceovers are just so unique, so awesome... The new ones felt almost too 'normal,' too 'similar' to what is out there in other games.

Does that mean the male voice isn't going to change? I think there's a good chance it will feel inconsistent with a newly recorded female voice. The new commander voice samples have that problem already compared to the old ones still in there.