Getting rid of Death Count

ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Maybe this has been brought up before but I think the major reason players in general don't commit to a push or rush is because they are afraid of having a bad KDR. If we used a point system where it only tracks the number of kills and points, it would create more incentives for players to do what they are actually supposed to be doing.

Of course this only applies to pub games, and only applies to marines and aliens who have not "spent resources" they don't want to lose when/if they die that round, but it will encourage rookies and even veterans to complete objectives and work together as a team rather than having people be pu$$ies and wait for others to "go in" before they commit themselves.

Way too often I see marines just standing there in big groups of 10 waiting for someone to go in first and basically die before taking advantage of his death. Or a group of marines not willing to walk into a room with 2 gorges and some hydras in fear of dieing, but these sacrifices must be made to make progress in these matches. There's a reason people stick together whether it be aliens or marines and it's because the one who strays away from the pack is the one most likely to die. But that same person is most likely the one to pull something off that will really help the team. And maybe you may think that these are situations that can be controlled by the players themselves or the commander but in reality it's just not possible. There are TONS of scenarios I can bring up but I'll stop here for now.

These issues cause far more issues than what may appear on the surface. It causes games to be VERY linear and boring, especially when the commander knows EXACTLY what must be done but the marines don't listen. It causes turtling as well. It causes players to play with an IQ of less than 50.

And trust me, this is a surprise coming from someone who is always at the top of the score boards with the best KDR (not trying to brag but simply make a point). But I just want to play games where people work together rather than stepping on your own teammates to better your own position. If this is a team based game, we should play as a team instead of as individuals simply fighting for the same flag.

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Might help getting threw to them that deaths by and by don't matter. But taking away the death count I reckon those people still won't want to die.
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    edited July 2013
    Based off experience, games where KDR matters, people care.

Where only KILLS and SCORE is tracked, that's all people will start to care about. They'll want to go in and get kills and score points even at the cost of dieing.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shinigaml wrote: »
    Based off experience, games where KDR matters, people care.

Where only KILLS and SCORE is tracked, that's all people will start to care about. They'll want to go in and get kills and score points even at the cost of dieing.

I like the idea but don't like your reasoning in the OP. KDR does not matter in ns2 and I don't think I have talked to anyone who thinks it does. Go into a pub game and ask while in the ready room if anyone watches their KDR, you wont get many if any at all.

I like the idea because I see it as unnecessary clutter on the screen. The tab screen is usefull for a few things. Seeing who is on your team, what lifeform/weapon they have, how much pres they have. With KDR and score out of the tab screen you could add what location they are. You could extra information about what the commander is researching and what has been researched. I basically would like it to be a tactical hub instead of a score board.