co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks DarkSeraph.
    Some more detailing added to marine start.
    Some bells and whistles :) from EEM
    some crates added to those long corridors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32942522/ns2_co_portals.level
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Actually I think that Marine start is quite sexy :) BTW I almost finished the Portals, just need to edit the sreenies. God bless the Total Commander and its mass rename function :-D
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Thanks DarkSeraph.
    Some more detailing added to marine start.

Sweet, it's all published. I also moved the skybox into the Marine Start but can't get it to line up right. Right now your two rooms are the only ones really using much of the skybox, so can you help me align it? When I rotate it just gets worse.
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Actually I think that Marine start is quite sexy :) BTW I almost finished the Portals, just need to edit the sreenies. God bless the Total Commander and its mass rename function :-D

Seriously? That's awesome! Any thought about the concave issue with it poking back through what people have set as the portal area? I can move it forward but then you can kinda see behind it from the side, which is bad I think. See the two Random joins in the RR right now for an example, the marine one being the issue.

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    DarkSeraph I've no really experience with the skyboxes.
    I can cheat though there is a animated planet model of the decent planet, So I can just move it where I want it. It would require moving my room and fixing textures so a bit of time but I did some tests with it last night and looks great and will achive the effect you're looking for.

Thanks Rudy.cz I consider it high praise as I love your work too.
    Here DarkSeraph while not perfect is this the effect you're after ?
    edited July 2013
    Here DarkSeraph while not perfect is this the effect you're after ?

Looks great, the map has been updated. The only thing that is odd is that from Gravity Hub you can occasionally see the planet, but it's rare, like an occlusion issue.

I've updated Room #6. I think it's ok, except that the damn tendril thingies won't scale up. They are scaled up but spawn unscaled. If anyone has any idea let me know (other than making them not dynamic).

Edit: I think I have to make some custom collision geo for the Whip as well, and possibly the Shell.

Also if anyone knows how to get dynamic props to scale please let me know. It's odd that it seems to work with the fan but not the gorge tunnel models.
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    I've updated Room #6. I think it's ok, except that the damn tendril thingies won't scale up. They are scaled up but spawn unscaled. If anyone has any idea let me know (other than making them not dynamic).

Yeah that is an issue with prop_dynamic, but you can make an cinematic file instead, then you can scale things as much as you want.

edited July 2013
    Posted another update - second draft of room #6. I think it's ok now, but let me know if you think I should use more of the tunnel models or add collision geo anywhere.

I think we're mostly waiting for the rooms from Howser & Flat at this point? I hope they're both doing well, I haven't seen them on in a while.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Unfortunately I'm still in the hospital. :( Access to forums, yes. Access to Spark Editor, no.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I hope this is released soon, looks great so far!
    Hey guys tried my hand at creating a custom skybox for the map just a purple pink nebular with fire highlights,
    but I'm a tad stuck as I've no idea how to create the material files.

So if you guys can either point me in the right direction to finish it off or if you know what to do.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32942522/SkyBox.zip
    Folder contains the 6 original skybox sides .png files at 2048
    and 6 converted .dds files

Missing the .material files (no idea what to do here)
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    For each xyz.dds you need a xyz.material file, which is basically a .txt with changed extension.

in the material file you need only two lines:
    shader = "shaders/SkyBox.surface_shader"
    emissiveMap = "materials/skybox/xyz.dds"
    Unfortunately I'm still in the hospital. :( Access to forums, yes. Access to Spark Editor, no.

Damn man, sounds serious! I really hope you get better soon, all mapping aside.

Awesome Worthy! Custom skyboxes are a pain but can be very cool. It was kinda fun creating the one for co_skylight, even though I wish I had done one more high detail render.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I have an assortment of broken ones in my foot, amputated big toe, snapped tibia and fibula, large open wound across my shin and calf that will require a skin transplant. Everything's held together with a complicated set of external rods. It feels serious. :D
    Ok, here I am sending the portals model files. Good luck placing them in to the map. If any of the textures will need brightness adjustments just send me the filenames and I will look in to that.

Also noticed a bug in Circus, all the props except the cel-shades are duplicated :(

I have an assortment of broken ones in my foot, amputated big toe, snapped tibia and fibula, large open wound across my shin and calf that will require a skin transplant. Everything's held together with a complicated set of external rods. It feels serious. :D

Holy shit! Bad accident of some sort? Car? That really does not sound fun. Hope you're not stuck in the hospital too much longer, for your own sanity's sake!

Ok, here I am sending the portals model files. Good luck placing them in to the map. If any of the textures will need brightness adjustments just send me the filenames and I will look in to that.

Also noticed a bug in Circus, all the props except the cel-shades are duplicated :(

I can't use these yet, right? They're for Howser to make into the model? Just making sure I'm not missing something.

No problem - just fixed it. A quick note that when we were playing on the map the other day someone got stuck in the larger trampoline. I've never experienced it; maybe a glitch with the push_trigger?
    I can't use these yet, right? They're for Howser to make into the model? Just making sure I'm not missing something.

Nope, they are all packed-up and ready to go - model, textures, materials - all prepared to be placed in the map :-)
    No problem - just fixed it. A quick note that when we were playing on the map the other day someone got stuck in the larger trampoline. I've never experienced it; maybe a glitch with the push_trigger?

Well, haven't seen this before. Moving the push_trigger entity few units up could fix the problem, probably.

Nope, they are all packed-up and ready to go - model, textures, materials - all prepared to be placed in the map :-)

Oh I tried and couldn't use them. The models are named .model_compile, and even when I forced the name to .model I couldn't see the model in editor.

Also I seriously need some input on the concave issue colliding into rooms. See marine side of ready room random join to see the issue I'm talking about.

Well, haven't seen this before. Moving the push_trigger entity few units up could fix the problem, probably.

Alright I'll try moving it up just maybe 2 or 4 units and see if that helps. This issue seems pretty rare so far.
    Oh I tried and couldn't use them. The models are named .model_compile, and even when I forced the name to .model I couldn't see the model in editor.

Goddamn I am such an idiot, I have sent you the source files :-D I have corrected the link, now it should contain the output files :)

Goddamn I am such an idiot, I have sent you the source files :-D I have corrected the link, now it should contain the output files :)

ARCHIIIEEE! *shakes fist*

That also means I could have just ran Builder on them, but evidently I'm too dumb to figure that out on my own so...

Anyone have any good ideas about the back of the portal getting clipped through a prop? Do we actually switch around the rooms, or give some flat portals?
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Sorry about the slow down in posts I've been busy arranging my wedding and recently recovering from my stag do.... the Hungarian dog flu I contracted hasn't helped the recovery process. Mostly all sorted now but the wedding's in three weeks, followed by a week long honeymoon. So all things considered it might be easier for someone else to do my room considering how fast you guys are progressing and the complete lack of time I'll have to commit to mapping over the next few weeks.

I'll have time to help finish up the portal models, but the rest of my free time I'll be sinking into fracture.

DarkSeraph: Tried sitting them in a slight recess or scale them down evenly?!. You should be able to flatten them to a certain extent too but the effect wont look as good. If it remains to be a problem after that I'll try fix it through the shaders they use.
    For now drop them in your map and scale them down/up to fit and I'll see what I can fix. I still need to do some custom cinematics, that should cover up any visual glitches.
    edited July 2013
    Wow, I guess that's my problem solving skills at their worst - no idea why I didn't just think of scaling portal props to fit (as it's what we do all day long in mapping). My humblest apologies; I'm quite embarrassed.

The map has been updated with the portals. I haven't grouped any of them yet to make them easy for selection for adjustment.

On a side note, the map is up to 85MB... which now gives me a 'file not found error' any time I try it on a server. Any ideas? Is the file actually too large?

Edit: also any volunteers to pick up the room? I still kinda like the gorge strip club idea, but if I try to execute it will be less than epic I suspect.
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there still a room free without a mapper? count me in!
    edited July 2013
    Had a run around the map, I think it is turning out nicely, especially with the portal vortexes. Gorge tunnel is really cool. Did you solved the clipping issue with portals? In the worst case, moving them forward could do the job nicely. Also some of the rooms could do nicely with some ambient sounds.

If you want help with aforementioned issues I can work on it after weekend.
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    Is there still a room free without a mapper? count me in!

Room #7 just became available and is now yours! Originally it was Howser's and he was going to do a Gorge Strip Club, but if you already have another idea please go for it. It is a room with one portal to alien side and two going towards marine. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or anything.
    Had a run around the map, I think it is turning out nicely, especially with the portal vortexes. Gorge tunnel is really cool. Did you solved the clipping issue with portals? In the worst case, moving them forward could do the job nicely. Also some of the rooms could do nicely with some ambient sounds.

If you want help with aforementioned issues I can work on it after weekend.

Agreed, the new portals add a very nice polish to the map - great work Howser! Still not sure if gorge tunnel needs more tunnel models or if it's good. It doesn't seem very intensive so I can probably add more without affecting performance. The only issue is I can see them in the damn editor, making the process difficult.

Nope as Howser mentioned I was able to just thin them so they fit - it will change the effect slightly, but still looks pretty good. If you think any portals should be adjusted it still should be fairly easy to do so, since they aren't in any layer.

Yes we should do a pass for sound - I just did it on my rooms. If you want to run through the map creating soundscape go for it and post the latest file - if not let me know and I'll do it.
    Hi guys so I've tried another more detailed skybox this time I've added the material files but still can't get it to work.

Would anyone mind taking a look see if they can get it to work.
    I added the .dds and .material files into my materials folder under skybox
    then opened the cinematic editor to add them to a skybox entity but I get nothing.
    So I'm scratching my head wondering where I went wrong.

Folder with .dds and .material files plus a folder with the 6 original .png sides.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32942522/SkyBox.zip
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Got to play co_portals today. Great fun getting to see all the different rooms coming together. Impressive work everywhere. Chasing down a gorge through a series of portals was hysterical, felt like a dream sequence from Being John Malkovich or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
    First draft of the welcome message in the ready room.
    GSAoTKO.jpg

This will be mounted on a TV looking thing in both halves of the RR. I'm waiting to put it in game until I can confirm what WhiteDevil's room name will be. Please let me know any suggestions on how to improve it now, before I put it in game.

I named alien start Church of Onos in my videos. Not sure if you want to rename that on the TV or keep it Alien Start for cllarity.