ns2_lost

2»

Comments

• JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    QwiXXeR wrote: »
    ...you obviously have the potential to make your own textures/props...

Even if somebody has the potential... do this person have the time and motivation ?
    To finish a well looking map (like the official ones), this all takes so much time!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Its very possible. If you have the ability to do both prop and texture work its incredibly fun. Most textures and props only take a day to make, so you never get bored if you view it like many small projects, rather than one big project.
    Give yourself some basic visual conventions to follow for all art, don't be scared of cutting a few corners.
    I'll be making the vast majority of assets for my map, I feel 8 months to a year to do this (post grey box and concept) is a realistic target. So as long as you are willing to commit that amount of time to a project there should be no real issues. looking at your portfolio I have no doubt you could do this.

The biggest time sink will be getting the layout up to snuff through grey boxing. We've played nothing quite a lot in the past. Its got potential but I still feel there is some pretty big flaws In the room design and layout as a whole. I'll have to review the map again since its been a few months.
    What is current standing on the grey boxing? what changes are you planning to make?
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The current release is up to date with the feedback I've gotten, i am still looking to improve some areas without ruining the layout and gameplay of it and i really appreciate any feedback i can get to make it even better.
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am currently implementing changes to the grey boxing that i hope will make the map more enjoyable, this includes some redesigned areas, some new areas as well as a new tech point for a total of 5.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great :D I'm looking forward to this.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I've not got round to playing a round on the map recently. But I do recall the scale of marine side vs alien side was an issue. Essentially the map was tapered, marines had their two tech-points close together with enough RT's to turtle up to victory. Not sure if this is still an issues. Maybe you could post an updated picture of the layout with some details of the intended changes?!
    edited July 2013
    Will post an updated one eventually, also had a think earlier today and would it be worth building the map using NS2 content so people can play the map, then start changing it to it's own theme?
    ns2 content as in dev textures? sure! :D
    Might be a waste of time populating and dressing the map with existing content just to replace it all out.
    I've updated the map, go test it out and give me some feedback.
    I keep getting "Publish Failed: The specified mod could not be found on the Workshop." though i am updating the exact same file from the same directory, will have to try again later but for now there is a link to Mediafire you can use.
    Started detailing a bit today, mainly to test out different ideas i have for the overall theme.
    As for Steam Workshop, i managed to fix it today with the help of ObliviousSight!
    The link is in my original post.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    After some issues that I've never had before it should work now yes.
    Also, i had some ideas for the map itself.
    The original Lost has plenty of smaller areas that i don't see fit when it comes to NS2, so i would either remove them completely and build new ones or remove a few and change them to be bigger and more fitting to the game.
    Updated the map on the workshop, turns out that the game_setup.xml needed to be removed or it would give you lua errors and not start the map at all.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    We're going to pug on this tomo night, I'll provide feedback on the results
  • UrnightUrnight Join Date: 2013-07-21 Member: 186262Members
    any servers run this map?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Necro Incoming! Was talking about this map today :) where is it? what happened? would love to get a good version of this!
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    kgbz3u4l.4vl.png

Lost my ns2_lost varient i was working on, so here's one i am making that's larger, without the vents leading to marine start and some cool stuff like weldables and elevators etc, i wish i could make props/textures but someone else would have to do that.