General mouse improvements

arfettarfett Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165366Members
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I have two complaints about the mouse:

1. Mouse wheel scrolling
This needs to be bindable. I can't believe in 2012 a game was released that does not support the binding of the mousewheel scrolling. In every FPS game I use mousewheel up to take out my primary weapon and mousewheel down to take out my secondary weapon. It's a system that has served me well for a decade of high level competitive gaming and I don't want to have to start/stop autohotkey or make changes in my mouse driver configuration panel every single time I start and close the game to achieve this.

2. Mouse sensitivity
The lowest setting is far too fast and the highest is just pointlessly fast. I like to play at 1800 DPI and a low in-game sensitivity and again find myself having to adjust my DPI every time I decide to play the game otherwise it's just too fast. I have a 3 foot wide mouse pad and I'd like to use it.

Please consider making these basic changes to accomodate more players' configurations.

Edit:
You can use autohotkey with a script like this to bind mousehweel up/down to keyboard presses:
#HotkeyInterval 2000
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 100
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 5

WheelUp::Send {u down}{u up}
WheelDown::Send {i down}{i up}

I bound u/i to weapon slot 1/2. This works but when I scroll up repeatedly it continuously switches to the hatchet but immediately back to rifle before you can even see the hatchet come out because the game activates the standard mousewheel scroll action. To stop it so the rifle only comes out once I had this to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<steam id>\4920\remote
<NextWeapon>P</NextWeapon>

Now no matter how much I scroll up or down my rifle or pistol will come out once.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    You can rebind the middle mouse wheel in system_options. xml for temporary support. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130823/rebind-disable-your-middle-mouse-wheel-using-system-options-xml#latest
    But if I remember not long ago they talked about middle mouse binds, and it was an engine issue or something not letting you do it. It is ridiculous that it is not implemented yet.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    setsensitvity 0.0000003 in console, or whatever

;)
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    when I started playing this game, coming from a background of CS 1.6 Invite, I was told to higher my sensitivity for flick shotting with the shotgun, etc. It has served me pretty well about 1/4 of the sensitivity bar @ 400DPi. If you want to play at 1800DPi and have a low sensitivity, GL.

Plus the mousewheel DOES switch to your weapon. I had to adjust from CS because taking out the pistol is the opposite in NS2.. not that big of an adjustment after a bunch of hours.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What do you have against using a lower DPI? 1800 is still very high in the comp FPS world.
  • arfettarfett Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165366Members
    edited July 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    What do you have against using a lower DPI? 1800 is still very high in the comp FPS world.
    Don't really care. I've played many seasons of main in CAL/CEVO and this is what I like to play with. Using lower DPI and higher in game sensitivities does not feel right and I can't flick perfectly every time.

At least they offer the setsensitivity command. I'm trying to find the sweet spot between .3 and .4
    edited July 2013
    when I started playing this game, coming from a background of CS 1.6 Invite, I was told to higher my sensitivity for flick shotting with the shotgun, etc. It has served me pretty well about 1/4 of the sensitivity bar @ 400DPi. If you want to play at 1800DPi and have a low sensitivity, GL.
    I'm not really interested in how you play. The game should support everyone's control/sensitivity style. I have loads of screenshots of going 20,30,40 kills with no or <5 deaths so believe me when I tell you my scheme works just fine for me.
    Plus the mousewheel DOES switch to your weapon. I had to adjust from CS because taking out the pistol is the opposite in NS2.. not that big of an adjustment after a bunch of hours.
    It is a big adjustment even after a few hours when in every single other game I play I use a different control scheme. I like to know that no matter how much I scroll my wheel up my primary weapon is going to come out and no matter how much I scroll down my pistol will be coming out. In the current control scheme I have to use my mouse driver software to rebind the scrolls to keyboard presses and then change this when I'm done playing. This is extremely inconvenient and quite an oversight that should not be present in a modern game especially 8 months after launch...
  • valkjurivalkjuri Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151387Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I use 0.6 sensitivity ingame and 5800 dpi in my mouse driver
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    No need to puff up your ego with kdr numbers. We simply gave you an option to fix your problem. Also, I have no idea why you think that flick shots with a lower dpi function differently. They should actually be more consistent... unless you have the worlds first perfect mouse pad.

Also, Valk is a wizard.
    joshhh wrote: »
    No need to puff up your ego with kdr numbers. We simply gave you an option to fix your problem. Also, I have no idea why you think that flick shots with a lower dpi function differently. They should actually be more consistent... unless you have the worlds first perfect mouse pad.

Also, Valk is a wizard.

I'm not sure what you mean by "puff up your ego" since it's just a matter of fact that when I play I rarely die and kill constantly. I was simply pointing out that what that guy said was ridiculous that you should only use certain weapons based on your sensitivity.

If you don't understand how flick shots and personal preference work then I feel sorry for you as you have no ability to use your brain.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You make me feel like my mouse is so sensitive. I use 2.3 sensitivity with 5200dpi. I don't have much desk space though.